Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

I Hate Backpacks - Finally Complete!

• 139 Replies
Re: I Hate Backpacks
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2011, 02:18 PM »
OK, so minor conundrum.  And I mean very minor as I'm not even close to this part of the build... Anyway... I'm going to be putting letters and numbers on the pack.  So, do I go Mandalorian Font or do I go with Galactic Basic Font.  The pack was made by I'm gonna say Merr-Sonn company as the pack is powered by the Merr-Sonn MA-35 Powercell.  

So... Mandalorian Font or Galactic Basic Font?

« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 02:39 PM by MandalorianEwok » Logged

(Ewok sketch by John Rush Senior Character Artist EA Bioware)

Founding Member of M.E.T.S.
Mandalorians for the Ethical Treatment of Strill

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2011, 03:18 PM »
Both!

I have some Basic and some Mando'a on my armor.  I figured the Basic is easier to recognize over the Mando'a for most SW fans.  Plus Basic, in my opinion, looks a lot cooler on parts, ships, and speeders.  Mando'a is cool..but reminds me more of ancient runes.

Dralkote

• Tuo Silens Mors
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2011, 03:20 PM »
I say just Mando'a but it's your armor.

Squirrel

• "TVCP Magnificent 7"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2011, 05:16 PM »
Take Taglar's advice. Galactic basic is great for widespread fan recognition. Use Mando'a for personal markings on the pack. Basic for the "Tech" info.

"And what have we learned?"]
Sorry I'm not around much anymore, life is very busy for me at the moment. . .
M.A.J.I.C. #103
A new WIP will be posted eventually. . .
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2011, 05:48 PM »
Take Taglar's advice. Galactic basic is great for widespread fan recognition. Use Mando'a for personal markings on the pack. Basic for the "Tech" info.

Yeah, I think Taglar and you both confirmed my original plan.  It's always nice to get solid input to confirm one's idea.  I think I'm also going to add kill markings or such.  But again, that's in the future. 

I just did a test coat of bondo and it seems to hold very well.  I was concerned because the original case was textured and not smooth like I wanted and sanding yielded only minor success.  I hope to have some pics up by the end of the weekend.

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2011, 02:14 AM »
To add further to Tag's advice, I'd say anything that's not made by say MandalMotors, and hasn't been repainted, would have Arubesh rather than Mando'a. So if the idea is that it's been bought straight from Merr-Sonn and hasn't been repainted by you, yes, it'd have Arubesh on it, but not Mando'a. I like the idea of then adding kill marks to it, or adding some Mando'a in there somewhere as well.

« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2011, 03:33 AM »
Here's the basic concept behind the pack.  The pack itself is based on a standard utility pack. The "barrel" quiver was a design concept by Merr-Sonn to go along with the Multi-integrated Armament line of weapons and energy clips.  The idea was sound, but couldn't compete with Sorosuub and Blastech and other such companies.  And, after only a few years, the production line was halted.  Del Duroon found a lot of success with the MA line and has personally modified all his MA line of equipment as well as buying any and all he comes across.  Kind of like the story line that had Boba Fett scrounging up Mandalorian armor for his suit.  

So, some of the parts are original, while others are new.  So, I will be painting it to match my armor and also add some personal touches.  Kill marks (as previously mentioned) and perhaps a symbol or two.  Every time I go into my work shop to work on it, I get hit with a new idea.  So, I just hope I can fit everything on it!

« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 03:36 AM by MandalorianEwok » Logged

« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2011, 06:43 PM »
Well, not a major update, but wanted to show some progress pics.  Ya ever get into a project and think it'll never get done or you don't have enough time!

Well, enjoy!

Squirrel

• "TVCP Magnificent 7"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2011, 07:33 PM »
Nice!

M.A.J.I.C. #103
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2011, 01:31 PM »
Well, closing in on the finishing touches.  Added a few greeblies.  (Sorry for some blurry pics)

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2011, 02:28 PM »
Good job , That pack looks great .

Squirrel

• "TVCP Magnificent 7"
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2011, 11:04 PM »
Very nice!

M.A.J.I.C. #103
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2011, 11:43 PM »
Lot of progress!  Got some primer down and some things started on the paint.  Still not 100% sure what the base color will be, but I am leaning toward my primary color of khaki.

Whatcha think?  (There a bit smaller than usual to allow for room.)

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2011, 11:53 PM »
That looks really good as is. I wonder how some dirt would set it off?

« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2011, 12:11 AM »
I definitely need another coat... Yeah, the white looks good, but up close, as its primer, you can see ALL the problems.  I still need to add straps, paint the buttons and add a few other greeblies.  Not to mention the 3 or 4 barrel attachments in the "quiver".

But thanks for the compliment!

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2011, 01:02 AM »
Looking good , Brilliant  ;)

Squirrel

• "TVCP Magnificent 7"
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2011, 01:25 AM »
Wonderful! It looks great! Have you considered hammered steel for a base paint job?

M.A.J.I.C. #103
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2011, 01:30 AM »
Not sure if you are referring to the silver/grey parts on the pack currently.  But those are actually a combination of silver with bronze over spray.

But, I don't think I'm gonna go with hammered steel as I'd like to keep it smooth.  Then again, it could help to hide some imperfections... hmmmm... 

Squirrel

• "TVCP Magnificent 7"
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2011, 01:33 AM »
Not sure if you are referring to the silver/grey parts on the pack currently.  But those are actually a combination of silver with bronze over spray.

But, I don't think I'm gonna go with hammered steel as I'd like to keep it smooth.  Then again, it could help to hide some imperfections... hmmmm... 

Krylon makes some very good "Hammered Metal" paints. Check those out. They have a darker steel color that's just perfect for raw steel. You can also use it with a paint brush to create "brushed" metal effects.

M.A.J.I.C. #103

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2011, 06:00 PM »
I applaud you, that has turned out amazing an it isn't even done yet. Honestly, I'd never have believed the base of that was from a push mower if I hadn't seen it for myself. I love to watch builds like this.  8)

« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2011, 12:26 AM »
Well, put several coats of khaki on and have to say, I'm very pleased.  Gonna let it "cook" for a few days while I work on some greeblie attachments, and some barrels for the "quiver" and such, then I'll start to add lettering/numbers and things of that nature.  Eventually, will be adding some LED components, but those will wait a bit.

TiMesh'la Akaan

• OM# 0388 - M.A.J.I.C: 010 - Countless Troops
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2011, 12:54 AM »
Oooh... Purdy. it's been fun watching this come together, can't wait to see the end result!

Kebii'tra Verda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2011, 06:51 AM »
And to think this started off as an old mower cover.

It's coming together very well!

David.

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
267th Brigade "Remo's Raiders"
Above and Beyond

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Legends of Mandalore Brigade Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2011, 06:25 PM »
Maaaaan... I thought I hated backpacks too... Now I want one like this one... *sigh   ;D

« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2011, 02:07 AM »
Isn't it weird like that?  Hopefully I've inspired others to broaden their minds into doing something like this as well!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!