Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Tutorial: Scratch Build Helmet - Start to Finish by Ori Cabur

• 8 Replies

Ori Cabur

• Krayt Clan for LIFE
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
This for all of you that are interested in doing a scratch build helmet.

I decided to do this due to the lack of funds, but some of you may chose to do this as chalange, or because you want to customize your Buy'ce more.
Below is the pics of the finished product:

For the record, this is my first helmet, i am retiring this Scratch Build helmet as soon as i finish my new helmet.

Items used in the creation of this helmet:

Materials:
- Cardboard
- Poster Board
- Hot Glue
- Printed Templates for the Boba Fett Helmet CLICK HERE FOR TEMPLATES
  ( you may wish to have a more flat shaped dome for your helmet. If so, CLICK HERE)

Follow me though the journey:

First off, I highly recommend that if you haven't ever scratch built a helmet, you should print off the templates and make a helmet out of paper just to make sure you get the idea.
Note: The hardest part of the templates to get right is the top Dome portion. All the little fingers have to line up just right, to get the shape you need. (notice on the pic below, i didn't get the dome part right, so it has a cone shape to it)

Then get after it  ;)
I printed the templates out on normal paper, cut them out, and then transferred them to poster board.
I then used little bits of tape to put the poster board template pieces together.
Then i used a Hot Glue Gun to permanently attach and seal all the templates together at the seems.

I then transferred the templates from pages 15,16,19,20 to cardboard, and then cut them out. (These pages have the raised Rim, eye area, and ear cap platforms)
Note: I used Cardboard to give the raised areas some depth. (See Pics Below)
You'll also note, that i transferred the Cheekbone Back plates onto cardboard as well (This was done to strengthen the cheek area)
I then Hot Glued the cardboard parts in place as well.

« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2011, 10:08 AM by Ori Cabur » Logged
MMCC: #0310 Vode Of The Skull: #29
O.R.B./327th Elite #024 Elegant Mando's Tea Society: #116

Ori Cabur

• Krayt Clan for LIFE
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
Re: Tutorial: Scratch Build Helmet - Start to Finish by Ori Cabur
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2011, 12:36 PM »
Now for the Fiber Glassing  ;D

This may sound like a daunting task, specifically if you have never used Fiber glass before.
It was rather terrifying for me at first, but I found that it is really rather easy to work with.

The reason for the use of FiberGlass all over the helmet is to give the helmet Strength.
Bondo (which will be used later) needs a solid base to be placed on.
Bondo is only as strong as the surface it is bonded to.

Materials Needed for this Part:

Bondo Short Strand Fiberglass Reinforced Filler

and
3M Fiberglass Mat

Tools Needed:
- Flat surface to mix Fiber Glass and Hardener together (Preferably something that you don't car about that can get thrown away.
  I.E. something flat and metal)
- Putty Knife
- Metal File
- Sandpaper

First step is to mix the Bondo Fiberglass.
 - Open the lid of your bondo fiberglass, and you will find a little tube of hardener.
 - Follow directions to mix appropriately
(I use a golf ball size glob of the fiber glass and mix it with a dob of hardener no bigger than my thumb nail )
 - Then start by applying the mixed fiberglass resin with the Putty Knife to all the surfaces you want covered in fiberglass
Note: Work quickly, this stuff cures pretty darn quick !
(See Pics Below)

Now, using the Fiberglass Mat , you will want to use this stuff in any area that you can, to really strengthen the fiberglass.

In the picture below, you will see that i have laid a 2 1/2 inch wide strip of the Mat on the fiberglass mixture WHILE IT IS STILL SOFT
I then (while wearing Latex Gloves) press the matting down into the fiberglass.
I then spread more of the fiberglass mix over the matting, and again, press it into the matting.
(See Pics Below)

Now, wait the recommended amount of time for the fiberglass mixture to cure. (I waited 24 hours)
Then I used a Metal file to rough sand all the surface of the fiberglass (See Pics Below)

« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2011, 06:49 PM by Ori Cabur » Logged

Ori Cabur

• Krayt Clan for LIFE
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2011, 07:22 PM »
Now on to Using Bondo for getting a smooth finish.

If you thought that dealing with the fiber glass was fun, wait till you have to sand this stuff down.
It is alot easier to use Bondo, it takes a little longer to set up and cure, so you have much more time to spread it evenly. And if you chose, you can mix larger amounts of it at the same time.

The other reason i rough filed the fiber glass down, instead of sanding it smooth, was that you want something rough for the Bondo to stick to.

Materials Needed for this Part:

Bondo Body Filler

Tools Needed:
- Flat surface to mix Body Filler and Hardener together (Preferably something that you don't care about that can get thrown away.
  I.E. something flat and metal)
- Putty Knife
- Sandpaper

First step is to mix the Bondo Body Filler.
 - Open the lid of your bondo, and you will find a little tube of hardener.
 - Follow directions to mix appropriately
(I use a golf ball size glob of the Body Filler and mix it with a dob of hardener no bigger than my thumb nail )
 - Then start by applying the mixed Body Filler with the Putty Knife to all the surfaces you want covered in Bondo

Let the Bondo cure, read directions for best cure time (Again, I gave it 24 hours to make sure it was fully cured)

Now comes the fun part!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
SANDING!

Using sandpaper (and an orbital sander if you have one)
Start sanding. The Fiber glass was used to make the helmet stong. The bondo was used to make the helmet smooth and even all over.

So, the point is to sand the Bondo down as much as you need to create an even, straight, smooth helmet.

I am going to skip straight to the pics of this helmet sanded.

Now is the time to go back over the helmet with another member of the Bondo family:
Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty

This stuff is like already mixed Bondo.... sorta  ;)
You use it to fill all the little divits, cracks, and air holes in the cured Bondo you just got done sanding.
It comes  out in a bright red, so you remember where you used it on the project.
Once this cures, go back over the helmet with some really fine sand paper to smooth out the helmet and sand down the spot putty

Next post will be the process of cutting out the t-visor area, and using primer to smooth out the details, and even use some Silver Rub-N-Buff...
Tune in Next time!

« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2011, 06:53 PM by Ori Cabur » Logged

Ori Cabur

• Krayt Clan for LIFE
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2011, 01:22 PM »
Now, in this post we will be going over how I cleaned up the helmet, and made it a little bit more smooth, and event.

(Not real even  ;D)

So, now that I have all the Bondo and fiber Glass sanded to as smooth as Iíd like, and Iíve added and sanded the glazing putty and then sanded some more.
I'm on to using Primer to really smooth out the details and get a great surface for the paint Iíve picked out to really adhere to.

I will also note, that it is rather important to use all the same brand of paints and primers, from this point on.
Some people can get away with using different brands, but you will have the best success with your paints turning out, if you use the same brands.

Materials Needed:
- Grey Self Etching Primer (1 to 2 cans, depending on how many coats you plan to use  ;))
- Sand Paper (Pick a number that is really fine and isn't going to leave grooves and scraps in the surface of the primer. I believed i used at least a 300 grit sand paper)

1st step is to lay down 1 to 2 coats of the primer, covering the entire helmet.

Once the helmet is completely covered in a good couple of even coats of primer, and is dry.
Take some time to look over your helmet. You are lookin for blemishes, dents, and air bubbles in the surface, that you may not have caught earlier.
The primer really helps flush out any imperfections.
Should you find any imperfections, Now is a great time to go back over the helmet with some more of the Glazing Putty.
Let it dry and then sand again.

No imperfections you say ? Well then, just go ahead and give the helmet a good light sand all over and then lay at least one more good and even coat of primer over the entire helmet.

Once this new coat of Primer is dry, Sand again  ;D

Now we are ready to take out that brand new Dremel that you purchased for this little project  ;)

Material Needed:
- Dremel

Cut out Disc with Bit

Sanding Drum Bit with sand paper for the drum

Then off to cutting you go....
Note: A good method to follow with any cutting project (cutting out helmet, or armor, or any item) is to draw your cut line, then use your cutting tool to cut out the item, but cut the item about a 1/16th or 1/18th larger than the line.
Then use the sanding tool, or sand paper to sand that edge to the line.

Here is a rough diagram to illustrate what I mean:

The RED line in the Picture below is where the edge to be cut to in the finished product (or Finished End)

Now zoom in to the right hand bottom side of the picture to show you the sanding and cutting lines:

The Red line is where you want the finished end to be.
The Blue line is where you want to cut to, and then use the sanding wheel to sand down to the red line.

In short, you always want to cut bigger than you need, so that you still have room to sand, without making the project too small.

I used the Cutting bit with my Dremel to clean up the bottom rim of the entire helmet, and to gut out the T-visor area.

I then used the Sanding Drum in my Dremel with sandpaper to go back over all the edges that i cut, and smooth out the surfaces.
(I used a pencil to draw the lines that I wanted to keep as clean as I could)

Now would be a good time to figure out what you are going to do for the T-visor.
I oredered one of the Plexi Glass t-visors from www.T-visor.com
It took roughly about 1 1/2 weeks to get in. The price was great and the visor has been great for over a year now.

Next post will cover using Rub 'n Buff and then a first coat of paint.
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2011, 03:23 PM by Ori Cabur » Logged

Ori Cabur

• Krayt Clan for LIFE
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2011, 03:42 PM »
Hey Vode,

Well, the next step that i decided was to use a product called Rub N' Buff.
This is a product that a lot of Jango Fetts use to make their "Metal armor" really look alot like metal.

There are all kinds of colors available:

But the one I used was the "Silver Leaf" color, and the picture below will show you what the pakage looked like.

This stuff is a Wax based paint. Just as the Product name says, you have to Rub and buff the wax so that it bonds to the surface that you are working on.

I dobbed some of the silver rub n' buff on the surface of the helmet, and then used my hand to rub vigorously. As you rub, the friction from your hand heats up the wax, and then causes it to bond to the helmet. To my knowledge this stuff will bond to most materials.
(Be aware that your hand will end up really really really shiny after this process)

The key is to buff the surface until you get the desired shine. The more you buff, the more mirror like it can get.

Also, be warned, that some people have had a really really hard time getting paint to stick to the Rub n' Buff, as it is a wax based paint.
So, be sure to try a test sample of whatever paint you are going to use on your helmet, on the Rub n' Buff to make sure it will adhere to the paint.

Next Post will contain pictures of what I decided to do for Ear caps, Rangefinder, and RF stalk for this helmet.

Ori Cabur

• Krayt Clan for LIFE
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2011, 03:50 PM »
Now, I attempted to use Cardboard, Poster Board, Fiber Glass and Bondo to make the Ear Caps, Range Finder, and RF Stalk....

I'm not that good  ;)
They turned out WAAAYYY too big, and way to uneven.

NOTE: I WOULD RECOMMEND USING SINTRA FOR THE EARCAPS NOW!!!!!!!!!

So I called up a good friend of mine that (At the time) was casting his own Ear caps, RF, and RF stalk.
The items in the picture below are product of OneEnd Productions brought to you by the AZ Mercs own Solus Keer.
(To my knowledge he has stopped produciton)
These are all solid resin and very durable, they have worked out really really great!
Thanks again OneEnd Productions
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2015, 04:07 PM by Ori Cabur » Logged

Ori Cabur

• Krayt Clan for LIFE
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2011, 03:57 PM »
Now onto how I painted my helmet...

I used a Semi-Gloss White Spray Paint for the first layer of my helmet. Which will serve as the base color for the helmet.
I sprayed the entire helmet with several (i think 5 or 6) coats of this Semi-Gloss White. Making sure to get in all the corners.

For the weathering you see in the pics above. After the paint was mostly dry, i took my finger nails and scraped the paint off in the areas i wanted weathering.
Because the paint was having a hard time bonding to the Silver Rub n' Buff, The paint scraped away rather easy.

I then gave the paint 24 hours to fully dry, and let the paint really have a chance to adhere to the Rub n' Buff.

(Also, you may notice that the T-visor is in the helmet. It is just sitting in the helmet, i have not attached the visor yet)

Ori Cabur

• Krayt Clan for LIFE
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2011, 04:40 PM »
Next, I painted the upper Cheek area Black with Flat Black.

Sorry about the Crappy Pictures, but I have lost a picture or two.

The next Pic is to illistrate that I masked off the entire helmet except the upper Cheek area of the helmet

I then used Flat Black to paint the esposed area.

and then removed the masking  ;D

Next up, I have cleaned up the resin EarCaps, RF, RF stalk and attached them.
I used screws that are roughly 1/2 inch long by 1/8th inch thick.
I used a drill to drill the holes in the helmet, then i screwed the Ear Caps to the helmet.
I then screwed the RF stalk to the helmet, inside the ear cap.
(Sorry folks, no pics of this step either)

Next came Installing the T-visor. I used Hot Glue to attach the visor to the helmet.

I placed the T-visor in place, and then hotglued around the edge of the t-visor sealing the edges all around the visor to the helmet.

I then painted the ear caps with the White Semi-gloss, and painted little black and white markings on them.
The FR was then painted Black and weathered.
And I painted the back section of the helmet with Blue stripes.
And I added blue kill stripes

And yes, I noticed that the Blue stripes on the back are a little crooked, and a little on the .... Not really sure side.

Tune in next post to see how i fixed this issue.....
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2011, 04:44 PM by Ori Cabur » Logged

Ori Cabur

• Krayt Clan for LIFE
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2011, 06:52 PM »
Alrighty, for this post i decided to change the Blue Stripes, as they were too much Blue and crooked.

And that's pretty much it.

I have since, painted the ear caps blue

And thats all vode...

If you have any questions about this Tutorial, please feel free to send me a PM, and I will be glad to help you out

I hope that this was helpful to some of you who are perhaps a little nervous to start in on a Scratch Build helmet.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2011, 10:12 AM by Ori Cabur » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!