Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Yutah's DL-44

• 23 Replies

Yutah

• Proud Wearer of a Lonewolf Helmet, blank #6
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Yutah's DL-44
« on: Jun 29, 2013, 11:39 PM »
It's late, but I'm gonna just leave this here as a teaser. More to come.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Yutah's DL-44
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2013, 02:38 AM »
It's late, but I'm gonna just leave this here as a teaser. More to come.

I find myself teased...  More!  She's a pretty-looking piece...

« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2013, 07:36 AM »
Very nice..  very clean lines.  Shame to go and distress it.  Where did you get your base Mauser?  I've been looking forever.

Q

Yutah

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2013, 08:46 PM »
The base mauser is a plastic airsoft I picked up from Amazon for 5$. I was skeptical with it being that cheap, but it is a pretty solid gun. Doing my research, I found plenty of people over on the Rebel Legion boards use them. Found it here- http://www.amazon.com/New-Airsoft-C96-Mauser-Pistol/dp/B003DS92LO/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1372638730&sr=1-3&keywords=broomhandle+mauser

Here it is fresh out of the box-

Also in the picture is resin cast Revel V8 Model Engine parts that were used on the ESB and RotJ versions of the DL44. Thanks Lonewolf! I've decided that I don't want a scope(my favorite DL44 in SWG didn't have one; I loved that gun) but I still needed someting for the flash hider. After an hour or so searching the interwebs for a good tutorial or cheap source, I decided to kitbash my own. I found very nice aluminum ones for around 45$, but I couldn't justify putting a 45$ greeblie on a 5$ gun. So off to the Home Depot I went. I scoured the hose and plumbing sections and picked up some options to take home and test out.

Plumbing fixture grab bag-

And I think this one is the winner-

Now its time to paint it and put it all together  8)

« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2013, 10:32 PM »
I can appreciate the clean look. Thanks for the link!  I ordered four..lol.  Looking forward to your progress in painting and distressing.

Q

« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2013, 11:03 PM by Red Qrot » Logged

Yutah

« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2013, 04:11 PM »
Rub n Buff

Black

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2013, 08:33 PM »
That is Star Wars.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Yutah

« Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2013, 10:33 PM »
Here she is, I've named her Camille. Now I need to find a holster for her.

« Reply #8 on: Jul 01, 2013, 11:06 PM »
Looks really good!  If I may make a suggestion - when you weather her do so lightly.  Any grunt worth his salt takes care of their piece.  I've seen blasters that make me question their functionality!  lol.   I have a cool technique to distress the handgrips if you'd like.  PM me.

Q

Mutki

« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 2013, 12:43 PM »
Ever find a good holster for it?

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Jul 18, 2013, 06:27 PM »
Here she is, I've named her Camille. Now I need to find a holster for her.

Not bad, not bad.  Personally, I'd recommend either repainting the grips, or replacing them with real wood.  I know the wood option would be pricey and not worth it on a plastic gun, though.

You mentioned finding machined aluminum greebs.  Where'd you come across those?  I'm looking at jumping on board with the recent DL44 craze.

Yutah

« Reply #11 on: Jul 18, 2013, 08:57 PM »
Blast-tech does the aluminum parts. From what I've seen on the RL forums, they're respectable. http://www.blast-tech.com/products_packagedKits.asp I agree, real wood grips would look better, but I'll save that dough for when I make a screen accurate pistol down the road.

Nickel

• Death Watch
« Reply #12 on: Jul 18, 2013, 10:56 PM »
I ended up making my own holster for my DL-44.  I bought a holster making book from Tandy Leather to be on the safe side, but it wasn't really necessary.

To make a holster pattern.

Take a large piece of paper and fold it in half.
Lay the top of your gun in the fold.
Roll the gun to the left and right and trace the outline .   Determine which side of your body you want the holster to be on and mark your trigger guard accordingly.
Add 1/2 inch to the outline. This will allow the gun to fit into the holster.  Refine the shape of your trigger  cut-out.
Test fit your gun before you cut out the pattern.  Modify as necessary.
Cut out the pattern and transfer it to you leather.

I didn't get a lot of pictures of how I made my holsters.  It wasn't as hard as I expected it to be and I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=52399.msg761947#msg761947

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter." - Ernest Hemingway
« Reply #13 on: Jul 18, 2013, 11:06 PM »
Blast-tech does the aluminum parts. From what I've seen on the RL forums, they're respectable. http://www.blast-tech.com/products_packagedKits.asp I agree, real wood grips would look better, but I'll save that dough for when I make a screen accurate pistol down the road.

Brother!!  I have been searching for Blast-tech's site for weeks!!  Thanks for posting the link! 

Your plastic grips can be made to look like distressed wood.  It's a trial and error method to get to where you want them, but...  remove the grips, of course, and mist them with a brown primer.  You can cut 'chunks' out with an xacto, make scratches, etc., if you would like. Sand them with 800 grit automotive paper - lightly so as to not remove the color.  mix burnt umber acrylic craft paint with water and a drop or two of dishwashing detergent (it will make a soapy dark brown wash).  Use a wide art brush and brush the wash over the grips in one direction.  Let them air dry.  Repeat until you get the distressing/dark, worn wood look you want.  The wash will stain the primer and give you that handled, aged look.

After they are dry you can go back over the grips with a Q-tip dampened with water to remove the wash from the high spots, ergo the dishwashing detergent in the mix. This will draw out the small gouges, cuts and abrasions made by the sandpaper.  Using silver enamel, dry brush - very, very lightly with a very, very dry brush- the high spots to bring them out.  When complete, hit them with a dull or satin/matte coat to seal in the color.

Here's a pic of my blaster.  The grips were exactly like yours at one time...

PAX~ Draarn

Yutah

« Reply #14 on: Jul 18, 2013, 11:12 PM »
I ended up making my own holster for my DL-44.  I bought a holster making book from Tandy Leather to be on the safe side, but it wasn't really necessary.

To make a holster pattern.

Take a large piece of paper and fold it in half.
Lay the top of your gun in the fold.
Roll the gun to the left and right and trace the outline .   Determine which side of your body you want the holster to be on and mark your trigger guard accordingly.
Add 1/2 inch to the outline. This will allow the gun to fit into the holster.  Refine the shape of your trigger  cut-out.
Test fit your gun before you cut out the pattern.  Modify as necessary.
Cut out the pattern and transfer it to you leather.

I didn't get a lot of pictures of how I made my holsters.  It wasn't as hard as I expected it to be and I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=52399.msg761947#msg761947

Ya, those look really good.  However, I commissioned a whole Han style holster and gunbelt/girthbelt from Lonewolf. I'll post pics of it when I get my hands on it. I'll also take a crack at weathering the grips when I get the pistol back from him.

« Reply #15 on: Jul 18, 2013, 11:18 PM »
Brother - can't wait to see the holster!  Need a bit of inspiration!  Love the muzzle mod - good eye finding the parts!

PAX~ Draarn

Yutah

« Reply #16 on: Aug 23, 2013, 09:54 PM »
Sorry for the delay, but I finally got some pics of the new holster. It also came with a girth belt and I threw some mauser pouches on it. Sorry the pic quality, I was home alone doing a final test fit before DCon, I should get some better ones there.

Nickel

• Death Watch
« Reply #17 on: Aug 23, 2013, 11:54 PM »
Oooh, that turned out really nice.  I like it.  Good job.

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter." - Ernest Hemingway

Vix

• VI.IX.MMXIII
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #18 on: Aug 28, 2013, 11:52 AM »
That did turn out really nice. Did you remember to put an order in for me?

Oh and for anyone interested, I have pooped in that bathroom. A+ for the assortment of reading material.

- Vix

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #19 on: Sep 01, 2013, 02:40 PM »
With it being airsoft, did you strip out the mechanism?. If not, make sure you do ;) .

Yutah

« Reply #20 on: Sep 01, 2013, 06:42 PM »
Of course, it's all sealed up with jb weld too

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #21 on: Sep 01, 2013, 07:50 PM »
Nice little rig for a nice little sidearm.  Who did your holster?

Mutki

« Reply #22 on: Sep 02, 2013, 05:08 AM »
Nice little rig for a nice little sidearm.  Who did your holster?

Lonewolf.

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #23 on: Sep 03, 2013, 07:18 AM »
Of course, it's all sealed up with jb weld too

Good man ;) .

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!