Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Nerf Target Launcher Backpack - WIP

• 18 Replies

Arashi

Nerf Target Launcher Backpack - WIP
« on: Aug 14, 2011, 11:53 PM »
Anyone made a backpack/jetpack, etc out of one of these?  I scored one at a local thrift store today and thought it looked like a good base to build from for a custom pack.

« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2011, 11:26 PM by Arashi » Logged

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Nerf Target Launcher
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2011, 04:06 PM »
Never even seen one before, definitely would make a unique base...
What kind of pack are you planning on using it for?

Any additional pics from other angles?

Arashi

« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2011, 04:38 PM »
Originally, the unit would fling target discs into the air for you to shoot your Nerf guns at.  The unit is just about backpack sized, I was thinking about making some sort of jump or jet pack out of it.

Here are a few more shots from different angles. With a 12 inch ruler for size reference.

« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2011, 04:45 PM by Arashi » Logged

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2011, 04:51 PM »
Nice find, personally I would leave the disc launching side facing my back and add a lid so as to have a compartment to store things in on your kit.
(Water, repair kit, snack bar, wallet)

Sand off the logos of course, maybe add some different raised detailing out of sintra to the faceplate and then add on some jet thrusters and a missle of sorts.

Really looking forward to seeing what you do with it, excellent base for sure.

Cando Pax

• Legacy
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2011, 05:05 PM »
That would sit on his back weird. Might be good if he flattened it so it fit against his back better. Maybe permanently attach it to the back plates. But, I agree, leaving the logo side out. Add much more detail and greeblies to it.

Again, a real nice find. You could us that as the base for almost any kind of pack you wanted to make.  ;D

Kell Ordo

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2011, 05:08 PM »
yeah i could rock that as a power pack to a heavy weapon. going to have to find one

Thaxos

« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2011, 05:08 PM »
That would sit on his back weird. Might be good if he flattened it so it fit against his back better. Maybe permanently attach it to the back plates. But, I agree, leaving the logo side out. Add much more detail and greeblies to it.

Again, a real nice find. You could us that as the base for almost any kind of pack you wanted to make.  ;D

Should sit fine if he makes the back panel covering the circular disc launching area flush with the rest of the pack.
Actually I think the fact that it would mostly stick off of his back would look good, think you could snap a photo of you holding it against your back from the side?

Arashi, if you want some info on how to get a cover plate to sit flush and not stick out, just let me know.
It's not too hard to do, did so on my Republic Commando's backpack.

Arashi

« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2011, 05:30 PM »
I was thinking about leaving the open side out and putting some sort of powr core or vent housing there, depending on if I go power pack or jump pack.  Need to come up with something to do with the bottom of it since its just flat so it can stand upright.

Here is a pic of it on my back from the side.

My arms aren't quite long enough to hold it flush against my back, but I would mount it a little lower so it doesn't stick out like that.

Thaxos

« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2011, 05:33 PM »
I was thinking about leaving the open side out and putting some sort of powr core or vent housing there, depending on if I go power pack or jump pack. 

That could turn out rather nice too.

Again, it's a really nice base that you can go in so many directions from here.
Finalizing an idea of what type of pack should help you choose in what direction to take the design.

Cando Pax

• Legacy
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: Aug 15, 2011, 06:41 PM »
It'l still be great for whatever you decide to use if for. I think you may have kicked off a nerf backpack era lol.

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #10 on: Aug 15, 2011, 06:44 PM »
Any bets on how many " wow, that looks really cool! But It still looks like a Nerf." comments we'll see?

BTW, I would go with a power source for a really big shebs gun!

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Thaxos

« Reply #11 on: Aug 15, 2011, 06:50 PM »
Any bets on how many " wow, that looks really cool! But It still looks like a Nerf." comments we'll see?

I don't think he'll get that many, it doesn't really strike me as Nerf until I saw the logo.

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #12 on: Aug 15, 2011, 06:58 PM »
You misunderstand, I meant in general, as a result of the 'Nerf backpack era' comment. Maybe I should have quoted that in  my post.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Thaxos

« Reply #13 on: Aug 15, 2011, 07:00 PM »
You misunderstand, I meant in general, as a result of the 'Nerf backpack era' comment. Maybe I should have quoted that in  my post.
Ah okay, that makes more sense. My bad.

Cmon Arashi, more updates. I want to see this bad boy come to life!  ;D

Arashi

« Reply #14 on: Aug 15, 2011, 08:10 PM »
I doubt it will start a new era, these things have been discontinued for quite some time now.  I was shocked when I saw it at the thrift store (Last time I cruised ebay for nerf stuff, they were going for like $80)

I may go the power pack route, I was planning on going heavy weapons anyways, Check out my BFG thread http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=41435.msg584047#msg584047

I'll keep you guys posted as to what I end up doing with it.

Arashi

« Reply #15 on: Aug 21, 2011, 01:46 PM »
Found a nice greeblie to use as a central power core in the open part of the pack.

Arashi

Re: Nerf Target Launcher Backpack - WIP
« Reply #16 on: Aug 21, 2011, 11:28 PM »
Took a few minutes this evening while waiting on my armor painting to dry, and gutted all the electronics and unnecessary parts out of this thing, probably reduced the weight by about half.

Dral Buurenaar

• Dralkotep Cyareakaan
« Reply #17 on: Aug 22, 2011, 01:36 AM »
NICE!     I like where this is going...

Ship: Burk'yc bora [Risky Business]
Co-pilot: N8-R10 [Nate Arten]
Manda'galaar / MA#045
« Reply #18 on: Sep 01, 2011, 11:43 PM »
Nice base for a pack.  Keep it up.  Following with interest.

(Ewok sketch by John Rush Senior Character Artist EA Bioware)

Founding Member of M.E.T.S.
Mandalorians for the Ethical Treatment of Strill

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!