Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Point's Vest Pattern + Build tute *currently afflicted by the Photobucket Thing*

• 92 Replies

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Step one: Make yourself a cup of tea.

Once you have your cup of tea you will be ready to start.

As promised here's your free pattern BUT WAIT DON'T JUST USE IT WITHOUT READING

This pattern was drafted for MY body, not anyone else's. Because I know my measurements, I can extrapolate what someone else's pattern should look like by getting their measurements and adjusting. Some notes about my body shape: I'm male, I'm fairly fit and muscular. I have really large pecs for a guy. Take these things into consideration when adjusting this pattern for your own use.

Here's a measurement diagram for you

With these measurements, you should be able to draft your own pattern based off mine. For example, I've just drafted a pattern for a vest for Roki, who is a much larger guy than me.

Start with your center front AND center back. Use those "Neck to chest, neck to waist, neck to hip" measurements and mark points along that line. It's easiest to line up the front and the back with the chest measurement, see how that red line on the pattern goes?
Then take the appropriate measurement and draw out at right angles from the center front line til you reach the correct point. For example, my chest measurement is sitting at 103cms at present. I measured out 30cm. If you multiply that by two you get the measurement across the entire front. I let the back measurement be a little smaller at 25cms. So that gives me a total of 110 - a good 7cm more than my actual chest measurement. This allows for movement. You may find that you want it looser than that, or you may not.
The same process applies to the waist, and then you join these two points. Depending on your body type you may do a straight line, or inward curve like I have, or outward curve, or inward only on the front, etc etc.

"But wait mr Pointy McMando, what's that I see? A dart? How do I deal with that?"

Yup, there's a dart in the front there. Remember I said I have massive pecs? If I didn't dart the front, I'd have issues with the sides being really loose and horrible under the armpit. This is why this pattern will work for ladies too - and you can experiment with making the dart wider or narrower as needed to fit your body type. You only measure the waist along the line that won't be taken away by the dart though - see how that red waist line breaks? It's the red that's the measurement only. Otherwise you're suddenly going to have to get a whole bunch skinnier :P

Once you have all of those side bits done, you can move on to the neck. Generally speaking you want the front to dip lower and the back to sit higher. Have a look at a T shirt you have, see that it does exactly that. That's the look we're going for here. So my neck measurement is 41cms, the back neck measurement on the pattern is 10cm and the front is 16, making the entire round trip be 52cms. So there's a good 4" ease there to allow me to breathe. Note: I did MY neck measurement choke collar style, not as is suggested in my measurement diagram. A T shirt will already have a little ease, hence the pattern says add 2" ease not 4".
Draw in a curve that looks right. Seriously, that's how scientific this is :P And make sure the measurement matches. If the curve looks like the curve on a T shirt that fits you closely? You're winning.

Once the neck line is drawn, you can do the shoulder line. On the front this is pretty easy, it's just a straight line slightly shorter than your actual shoulder measurement. On the back, I find that if you give it a slight curve as you see there, you avoid some bunching up around the top of the armhole. Both the front and the back shoulder lines should be the same length.

The armhole is last. Please note again, I have large pecs - other people's vests that I've made have ended up with a less pronounced bite into the front, and slightly more pronounced bite into the back, than this pattern because of that.
Yes, add 6" ease. You want to be able to move your arms right? Again, draw the curve to how it looks right, from the end of the shoulder line to the point where your chest measurement came to before.

BAM

You have a pattern.

Now sew it IN SCRAP FABRIC/CALICO FIRST to make sure it fits, make sure you can move, see what adjustments you need to make, see how much you need to curse my name to the high heavens.

How you decide to join it is up to you. I tend to like doing a single size zip plus a zip on one shoulder seam. Remember if you go with velcro to add enough material for the overlap - this pattern only goes to the actual seam.

Here's me making Roki's pattern -

He's a much larger guy than me...

And here's Swift's vest which I made using the same method -

And now you're going, BUT SHOULDER BELLS HOW DOES I DO THEM WAAAH

Take your actual shoulder bell
Trace around it
Add about half an inch plus whatever you're comfortable with seam allowance being
Sew it.
Done!

Only now that you have read the entire post may you use my free pattern to its full potential!

Oh yeah, last step? Have another cup of tea.
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2017, 06:47 AM by Pointoforigin » Logged

Suna

• (Brynn Cadera)
Re: Point's Vest Pattern tute with FREE PATTERN guys AND girls
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 01:38 PM »
This is awesome, thank you for taking the time to post this! I will definitely be using this to help build my vest! Now to find the right fabric XD.
Teach me how to fight, I'll show you how to win.

Jaro

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 01:41 PM »
Nice tutorial, thanks Points!

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 03:33 PM »

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Swift

• (Klen'aka Vonshi)
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 06:56 AM »
Hey, did I give you permission to use my torso!? :P

Great tutorial buddy (though seriously, why use a tea bag when you can brew some in a pot? :P), and I can vouch for the fact that it does, indeed, work. The one POO made for me (viewed above) fits perfectly and looks amazing, and if you follow his instructions you should have no trouble creating your own!
Beskar'gam  |  Buy'ce  |  Gallery

Mandalorian Mercs OM #769
The Elegant Mando's Tea Society #058
B.E.A.R.D.S #036

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 07:02 AM »
What. A. Bro!

Wicked write up man! I'm sure this will help out many future members :)

ConDar Ward

• I can make that ..
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 07:59 AM »
 :rolleyes:  I'm pretty sure I know Why ... & your Very Cool For Doing this ......   8)

Live for today, because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come!
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267 M

mishakitty

• Glitter'alor
  • glitter's effective if i GRIND IT INTO YOUR EYES
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Special Operations Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 08:29 AM »
Mr. Pointypants' tea brings ALL the girlmandos to the yard.

Seriously though, YOU are amazing. Thank you for sharing this with everyone. this is a WONDERFUL resource and is hugely appreciated!

E.M.T.S. #1 ~ Founder ~ Glitter Faerie In Chief

Get Elegant: Join the Elegant Mando's Tea Society

Official Invasions: 67

Various upgrades and whatnot

Dral Kar'ta (Dar's GlitterHeart)

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 09:59 AM »
Thanks guys!

If there's any questions feel free ;)

Jaro

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 10:23 AM »
What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen Swallow?

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 10:27 AM »
African or European?

Naren Sprax

• So I says to Mable, I says...
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 2016
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 02:41 PM »
Bravo!

Zedrin Ho'dag

• MM-0537 | Cin'ciri Verda | AKA - Narseryc
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Best Blaster: Pistol is the award for the best pistol. Funny that! 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 01:13 PM »
Is this designed for velcro closure in the back, or slip on?

MMCC-0537 | M.A.J.I.C-047 | M.A-025 | M.A.D-004 | B.E.A.R.D.S.-028 | V.A.B.S.-004 | V.R.C.A.-069 | S.O.S.-013
"There's nothing special about me, I just do my job!" RJ

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 07:56 PM »
Closure method is up to you, the pattern only goes to the seam lines ;)

Zedrin Ho'dag

• MM-0537 | Cin'ciri Verda | AKA - Narseryc
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Best Blaster: Pistol is the award for the best pistol. Funny that! 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #14 on: Oct 03, 2013, 02:06 PM »
Do you recall approximately the amount of fabric you used?  I know it will differ person to person, but what would a "standard" build amount of material be?

MMCC-0537 | M.A.J.I.C-047 | M.A-025 | M.A.D-004 | B.E.A.R.D.S.-028 | V.A.B.S.-004 | V.R.C.A.-069 | S.O.S.-013
"There's nothing special about me, I just do my job!" RJ

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!