Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

TUTORIAL: Adding Mirror and Color Tint to your Helmet Visor

• 40 Replies

mishakitty

• Glitter'alor
  • glitter's effective if i GRIND IT INTO YOUR EYES
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Special Operations Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Hi Everyone!

Misha here from the BVC (state of Florida's clan) to share with you a tutorial on how to add color to your helmet visor. Have you ever seen those really cool colors - reflective silver, red, blue, yellow, etc. - on different helmet visors and wondered how the heck did they do that? Well, it's actually really pretty easy and I've got a few videos to share that will walk you through the process.

HUGE thanks to the BVC's own Rabbit who ran this special mini-workshop at the BVC's 2013 Family Picnic. I'm including the video links here and ALSO writing up the instructions because, in true Storm Warrior fashion, a huge storm blew up while we were filming so it may be a bit hard to hear. Additionally, we are a silly, punchy bunch so excuse any bad jokes that occur during these videos.

Video 1: Basic Visor Tips

Video 2: How to Add Mirrored Tint to a Visor (quick overview)

Video 3: Full Length How to Add Tint to a Visor - includes mirrored and colored

Tips & Tricks:
* DON'T try to do this on a tinted T-Visor. It's not going to work. That already has a tint and you will either not see the new color or it will be way too dark.
* DO use a clear visor (see? I just said that above...but in case you missed it ;) )
* DO share! A roll of the tinting material will do a LOT of visors. If you want to do this, consider throwing in with multiple people in your clan to minimize costs and maximize awesomeness.
* DO only attach the film along the top edge of the visor. When you attach your colored or mirrored film to the visor, you can attach it using tape to the top of the visor, but don't try to attach the sides or the bottom because it may bubble.
* DO use scotch tape to help you with peeling the backing off the mirrored tint. If you put a tiny piece on each side, and then pull on each, it will usually easily pull apart.
*DO work from the center out as you squeegee - this will help get rid of bubbles

Where to Buy
* You can get the mirrored tint at Lowe's or other hardware type shops.
* The colored tints can be found at specialty hobby stores like hobby town USA - You may also be able to use gels for theater lights if the plastic is thin and bendable enough.
* Clear plastic welding shields can be purchased at Lowes, but Harbor Freight has them cheaper (these may be southern stores only - if anyone has suggestions please let me know and I will edit this post to include them). You may have to ask for a "safety visor" instead of welding in order to get the right product. Nappa Auto Parts also has them.

Step by Step:
NOTE: This is directly from the third video listed above <3

You will need:
- Clear plastic visor (recommended using a "safety visor" or welding shield type)
- Cut piece of mirrored tint (if you want the mirrored look)
- Cut piece of colored plastic (if you want color with the mirror)
- Hard, smooth surface
- Something to use to smooth the plastic that will not also scratch it such as a rubber squeegee
- Gila Window Film Application Solution (in a spray bottle)
- Paper Towels

1. Cut your mirrored tint to the same size as the plastic color (if you are using a sheet of hard colored plastic). If you are NOT using colored plastic, you will need  a clear sheet to just get an uncolored mirrored visor. The size of this is about the same of a standard sheet of paper - 8 x 11

2. Peel the backing from the mirrored tint. Don't peel it all the way off, yet. Just get it started.

3. Grab your clear or colored piece of plastic. This sheet should be stiff enough to be able to take the flimsier mirrored tint, but not so stiff that you cannot attach it to your visor. Lay it on a smooth surface.

4. Spray it down with the window film application spray.

5. Pull the backing all the way off of the mirrored film and place it down onto the clear or colored sheet of plastic.

6. Use a rubber squeegee or other similar item to smooth out the film. This is VERY important - take your time here and try to get all the bubbles out. Work from the center out as you do this as it will really help to get rid of the bubbles.

7. Trim off any excess mirrored film.

8. Dry it off using a paper towel.

9. Do any additional squeegeeing as needed.

10. Leave it to dry for a while.

Attaching to your visor:

1. The tint side does NOT show. Either the colored side or the clear side is the side that faces out.

2. Cut it in the shape of your opening/visor.

3. Set the tint on top of the visor, and tape it down along the top edge only. The colored film should mold to the visor's curvature.

4. Attach your visor into the helmet as you normally would.

E.M.T.S. #1 ~ Founder ~ Glitter Faerie In Chief

Get Elegant: Join the Elegant Mando's Tea Society

Official Invasions: 67

Various upgrades and whatnot

Dral Kar'ta (Dar's GlitterHeart)

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: TUTORIAL: Adding Mirror and Color Tint to your Helmet Visor
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2013, 11:53 AM »
Fabulous work my lady!

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2013, 09:58 PM »
Great tut! I'm sure a lot of people will benefit from this :)

Lemac

« Reply #3 on: Jul 04, 2014, 09:58 AM »
Thank you. I was wondering about the mirrored and colored visor pieces.

I do have a question though. Is a single layer of the mirrored tint good enough to get "face bleed through" in pictures? Someone taking a picture with a flash does the mirrored tint reflect back enough of the light as to not come through and be able to see the face behind the mask?

Knowing teh way my luck goes my visor will either be too dark to see out of of or have people a few days later asking "who is that ugly guy's face in the armor". :)

Also thank you to everyone else who has posted a tutorial and info. Saves a lot of headaches for us noobs. A wise man learns from the advice and mistakes that others have made.

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #4 on: Jul 04, 2014, 10:45 AM »
Generally speaking, you can go with a "lighter" tint if it is mirrored. The majority of my clanmates have mirrored visors, and compared to my shade 5 welding shield, are a lot lighter to look through. Not one picture I have seen of them taken with flash has shown their faces.

So yes, with mirrored, you're generally fine with a single layer.

Rhenvar

• "Each a grain of sand"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2015, 06:56 AM »
Really helpful info thanks!
Bit annoying cause I got all the stuff ready then realised I have a black tinted visor.. bummer

mishakitty

• Glitter'alor
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Special Operations Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2015, 09:24 AM »
Really helpful info thanks!
Bit annoying cause I got all the stuff ready then realised I have a black tinted visor.. bummer

Darling you SHOULD be able to tint that with mirror - it'd look awesome!

Dillo

« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2015, 10:39 AM »
Glad I saw this because I was about to just tint the grinding sheild itself.  It is a better path to take to tint another sheet and place it infront of the sheild right?

Rhenvar

• "Each a grain of sand"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2015, 03:20 AM »
Darling you SHOULD be able to tint that with mirror - it'd look awesome!

If u reckon so lass ill give it a go.

Kitala-Enby

• The Chest Diamond Collector
« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2015, 10:21 AM »
Is ir possible to tint directly to the visor? Me and a few of my clan mates planned on tinting visors with mirror. But i just thought of tinting a clear shield on its own.

also could mirror tint be applied to the inside of say, a light shade (shade 3 or less) welding visor to create a black mirror visor?

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014
Master Thread.

« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2015, 11:52 AM »
Question on the hobbytown website is the film called monokote?
I am unsure if they sell what you are talking about.
You got a lightsaber huh? Let's see you reflect a slug.
Daxnor to Unidentified Jedi

mishakitty

• Glitter'alor
« Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2015, 11:01 AM »
Is ir possible to tint directly to the visor? Me and a few of my clan mates planned on tinting visors with mirror. But i just thought of tinting a clear shield on its own.

also could mirror tint be applied to the inside of say, a light shade (shade 3 or less) welding visor to create a black mirror visor?

You can. But it *may* be too light. My visor in my second kit was just mirror applied to a clear piece of plastic, which I then cut and we installed (hot glue FTW!). It works fine - it's actually darker than my T-visor (specifically made for TK's and bobas gr) in my night owl kit.

My husband tinted his black - basically took a dark colored visor and just applied the mirror to it. It wasn't super shiny but it looks awesome! So yes, you definitely can! :)
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2015, 11:07 AM by mishakitty » Logged

mishakitty

• Glitter'alor
« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2015, 11:05 AM »
Question on the hobbytown website is the film called monokote?
I am unsure if they sell what you are talking about.

Do you mean this stuff:
http://www.monokote.com/monoinst1.html

The stuff that we used in the BVC was actually 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of colored plastic. When Rabbit taught how to do this, she took a sheet of that, applied the mirror to it, and then taped it into the helmet. I believe she taped that piece on top of a plastic visor (don't remember 100% though) or she may have just taped it into the helmet. That may be way too flimsy though.

You *can* buy colored mirror tint. I don't know if this is what others use or not, i just know what we were taught to use lol. I can say that, after experimenting w my visor and also with my husband's, mirror tint takes a bit of patience but can definitely be done. I would think the colored mirror tints would be about the same.

There's a website here:
http://www.nusolis.com/uncut-materials/
That has basic colors you could probably use.

« Reply #13 on: Oct 01, 2015, 01:18 PM »
Where did the clear pvc sheets come from? I haven't been able to find anything local. What was the brand and item number so I can search for something comparable?

« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 2015, 04:22 PM »
Just to clarify:

This is equivalent to the mirroring film you are using? http://www.lowes.com/pd_88148-74130-PRS361___?productId=1103235

Also I am having trouble finding the colored film at Hobby Lobby.  Do you have a link?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!