Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Orange Scratch build WIP

• 34 Replies
Orange Scratch build WIP
« on: Jan 08, 2014, 03:26 PM »
Hey Guys,

I started my attempt at building my Scratch build Bucket and I think things where going ok!

Made one out of Cardboard everything seemed to go okish, obviously it's a little crumped and bent due to first time and nerves :P

The issues I this.

I bough the below

Fits perfectly, if I remove the inside pads it would be still perfect but with a little play movement size is 59-63cm classed as L size

I have reprinted the WOF template for the outside and inside, but as you can see, using the inner to try wrap around it, it's to short :/

Am I right in thinking that the inner is supposed to be the same length as the outside Bucket appearance that is pretty much just wraps around the inside as a secondary layer?

I have 3mm PVC Foamex and plan to use that once I have the size correct.

Advise is welcome as am not sure what to do

(p.s I noticed there is slight lips on this bike helmet should I file/sand them down so there isn't any? or will it be ok due to the template going around?)

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Orange Scratch build WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2014, 03:39 PM »
when i have scratch built a bucket i have never used the inside part  :rolleyes:

The lips should be fine vod ;)

one thing are those holes in the top ? If so they will need to be filled / covered some how ? if you want to keep the venting you could use mesh ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2014, 03:53 PM »
Ok so the inner doesn't have to be used, but I still have the same issue with the outside. It doesn't fully reach around and am not sure best way to solve the.

Just get a piece of extra paper for the template and cover it? Or do I need to alter the over all template size?

Am not sure what type of effect the rest of the design will have if the template doesn't fit snuggle.

The tops has holes and I plan to cover them :)

So am still going to be probably be doing a resin/etc cover as once I have the shape sorted, I also intend to do an advanced alteration, I will post/show and ask advise before I physically do it :) plan to have my own type of damage to the front.

But! First I need to get the template working in which ever way is best! 

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2014, 04:23 PM »
personally i would probably increase the size  of the templates a bit and fill the gap a bit  :P

I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2014, 04:32 PM »
Ok,

I have the A4 PDF, am hoping the % option is all I need to alter and try again when I open it, it's at 77.8%

« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2014, 09:27 AM »
Well,

Cut out the template out of Foamex and trying to shape it around the Bike helmet which am struggling with hehe.

Not sure best way to keep to attached/pressed against the helm to heat gun the shape, but I have at least started to get the curve.

Suggestions on how to shape it easier/better would be appreciated

Update.

For future builds I think am going to need basic things like clamps, cause having to hold the template on while the glue dried was painful :D

« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2014, 08:41 AM by OrangeMagicGod » Logged

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2014, 01:54 PM »
teeny tiny pics vod  :(

but apart from that its looking nice

« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:48 PM »
Finally!

Been having weird problems trying to show the next stage!

This is with the left side glued in place and the right ready to be glued.

Hope the image size is better :)

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:12 PM »
Img size is perfect ;) and the buckets not bad too ;) Nice work vod

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2014, 04:42 PM »
Shows progress, yeah as Niabi said if you wish to keep the wholes up top for ventilation make sure you back them with mesh. Look up Ohl'd Vart and his kit to see an example of a bike helmet used on a scratch build.

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2014, 06:08 AM »
No I think am going to be filling them in, not keen on vents on top for my first build :) maybe if I do another and am more practiced!

Can anyone help with some sort of image of how am supposed to place the keyholes at the back of the bucket.

Am alittle worried I might do it wrong and screw the build up.

From what I can figure and find,

I cut the hole to fit the pattern,

Cut the rear and place that inside the bucket and then place and mount the heyhole on the edge of that back peace?

little puzzled on assembly on that part.

Lem'zig Dee

• WEAPON OF MASS PERCUSSION
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2014, 06:43 AM »
Here's the tutorial Drak was telling you about:  http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ck3tl3bctbjooo3

IG  -  @suzylamoureuxdrums
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2014, 08:46 AM »
Thanks for the link, that's going to help with the general build using a bike helmet but sadly doesn't help with keyhole adding to a bucket :P

Hoping to get/find some reassurance on how to add it before I put cutters to the back! :)

« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:52 PM »
Added the Keyhole on the back, wasn't easy but I hope this looks ok.

Just working on the front cheeks now, which is going to be an interesting time.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:22 PM »
Not bad vod ;)

One thing  :rolleyes: the key slot does not look central compared to the holes in the dome

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2014, 05:49 AM »
What Niabi said check your spacing and measurements again.

« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2014, 07:13 AM »
Looking at the keyhole position currently.

Front of the bucket is further completed, have to say the cheeks are very challenging, after reading many posts about working with the foamex/sintra I can see how hard it was to shape/fit.

I have to build the left side with Bondo but over all both sides look and feel good.

Regarding the top and filling the holes,

Would it be better, to add one layer of resin and fibreglass so that the bondo will go over it easily, as my thoughts are, if I bondo the holes up, whats the best way to plug the inside so I just done create a huge wedge of bondo in each hole, increasing the possible weight?

Vardamir

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2014, 08:12 AM »
i think if i was filling them holes i would back them off with card and fill the holes with paper then i would put a little bit of fiberglass over the paper and smooth it off with abit of bondo, then i would simply remove all the card, there may be an easier way but i never do things simply :)

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2014, 08:24 PM »
Glass filler would indeed do the job. The fibers inside the filler will give it a ton of strength against breaking.

Batnor-Goor'verd

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:44 AM »
when i did mine which is also bike helmet and bucket i fiber-glassed the whole inside of the helm to add strength and give me a backing for the bondo that i used to fill the vents on top.

« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2015, 03:14 PM »
Hi guys,

Currently working on my helm (been collecting soft parts recently)

I have created a stalk out of pvc foam, which is looking ok,

The issues am having now is trying to follow the wizard guides for the ears and am struggling.

So far, the left is is partially made, but the bottom with the like V shape I have no idea how am supposed to get that with the templates?

The right side, am also struggling with, I have the first part done that the stalk sits in, but trying to figure out how to make the rest of the parts all flush etc.

Is there any really good video's or tutorials just based on the ear sections :(

Thanks

« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2015, 04:41 AM »
Update on the work.

Ears have been a pain, I "think" there ok now, and almost complete.

I have just bought my resin and fiberglass kit so hoping to get that done tonight and then let the bondo begin! (need to read up on that side again as it's been awhile hehe)

Ears (the left piece has been filed down to angles, just forgot to take the pic last night >.< )
And need to finish the cap part.

Side of the Bucket

Resin update hopefully tonight!

Reyn Vok'chi

• Awards Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2015, 06:51 AM »
Take a look at how I dealt with the dome holes in one of my builds http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80155.0
Hope it helps  :)

« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2015, 07:22 AM »
That really does help :)

Will be my first time using Resin and Fiberglass, so the detail is great.

I am considering a light coat of Rondo on top of the resin once finished inside just to make double sure it's strong and re-enforced.

But I was stuck on how to go about the holes :D

« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2015, 04:51 PM »
Well finished adding the side piece for the main stalk, and also fiberglassing the outside and inside.

Never realised how tricky it can be using sheets lol.

Sadly it wasn't so straight forward for me plugging the top and then the bottom, as I have left the bike helm's insides intake for comfort and easy of use.

Really enjoyed the experience, and looking more forward to the bondo!

The ears I have made, question is, am I supposed to resin/fiberglass them as well for strength?

No shaped yet!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!