Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Endorn PVC Build - WIP (pic heavy)

• 65 Replies

Ronin Tavic

• Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Endorn PVC Build - WIP (pic heavy)
« Reply #25 on: Jul 13, 2014, 11:41 PM »
what piece are you beveling? When I beveled I just used my sanding drum on the dremel, then smoothed the edge with a file and some 100-150 grit sand paper. worked like a charm.

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Endorn

• MMCC# 1147
  • Awards Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #26 on: Jul 14, 2014, 08:29 AM »
what piece are you beveling? When I beveled I just used my sanding drum on the dremel, then smoothed the edge with a file and some 100-150 grit sand paper. worked like a charm.

I'll give that a try!  I was just trying to bevel a scrap piece on my belt sander to see how it worked.

"We're more than just a people or an army. We're a culture. We're an idea. And you can't kill ideas—but we can certainly kill you. " --- Mandalore the Destroyer

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #27 on: Jul 14, 2014, 09:17 AM »
I'll give that a try!  I was just trying to bevel a scrap piece on my belt sander to see how it worked.

I did that for some of my plates. Worked fine.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Endorn

• MMCC# 1147
  • Awards Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #28 on: Jul 15, 2014, 10:03 PM »
UPDATE!

Snuck in a few hours tonight to get my shoulder bells cut and sanded.

"We're more than just a people or an army. We're a culture. We're an idea. And you can't kill ideas—but we can certainly kill you. " --- Mandalore the Destroyer

Endorn

• MMCC# 1147
« Reply #29 on: Jul 16, 2014, 04:13 PM »
BOOM - two updates in two days! haha

shin armor cut and sanded!

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #30 on: Jul 17, 2014, 12:39 AM »
Nice.

Endorn

• MMCC# 1147
« Reply #31 on: Jul 19, 2014, 01:31 PM »
UPDATE!

Thigh and Foot armor cut and sanded!

That's all of my template parts finished.   I have to come up with a custom back plate a gauntlets next but there won't be templates for those so that'll be fun.  As of today I have 3 weeks to get the kit "wearable" for my first con.  I'm sure it won't be merc approvable by then, but wearable is still a lofty goal!

To that end, I'm still having a hard time with beveling this pvc.    Below is my best attempt on a test piece, this was done with a dremel sanding bit and then I hand sanded a little afterwards. 

It still seems so sloppy to me, am I just being too picky?  Once I paint it will it look better?  any suggestions?

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #32 on: Jul 19, 2014, 01:41 PM »
Your oversanding it. Using whatever tool you want just sand it at a 45* angle just to round it off slightly. To much bevel just looks bad.

Endorn

• MMCC# 1147
« Reply #33 on: Jul 19, 2014, 02:13 PM »
Your oversanding it. Using whatever tool you want just sand it at a 45* angle just to round it off slightly. To much bevel just looks bad.

Do you have any edge pictures? I'm having a hard time visualizing how the bevel should look

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #34 on: Jul 19, 2014, 02:26 PM »
Not currently. Best way to it is get some sand paper and judt run it along the edge until it is no longer a sharp edge giving it a slightly rounded edge. Take away small bits at a time and keep checking. Remember you can always take more off, but you can not always add more back.

Endorn

• MMCC# 1147
« Reply #35 on: Jul 19, 2014, 03:47 PM »
Not currently. Best way to it is get some sand paper and judt run it along the edge until it is no longer a sharp edge giving it a slightly rounded edge. Take away small bits at a time and keep checking. Remember you can always take more off, but you can not always add more back.

like this?

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #36 on: Jul 20, 2014, 01:22 AM »
That's the one.

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #37 on: Jul 20, 2014, 03:37 AM »
Hit it with progressively finer sandpaper (220>440>600 should do nicely) and it should smooth right up. If it doesn't, a bit of body filler along the bevel, then a fine sanding should finish it nicely.

Endorn

• MMCC# 1147
« Reply #38 on: Jul 20, 2014, 10:59 AM »
awesome, thanks a bunch guys! 

Endorn

• MMCC# 1147
« Reply #39 on: Jul 22, 2014, 09:57 PM »
Back plate cut!    This one was miserable, I broke my good drill bit about 30 seconds into it so I had to cut everything with my crappy worn out spare and it was at least 3 times slower.

Obviously I'll have to weld and smooth out the middle there.

But Finally I get a chance to show some of the personality of my kit!   I'm working on converting two dark sabers into vibro swords, and my concept is to have holsters for them on my back plate like this:

What do you guys think?  Thoughts / concerns?

Endorn

• MMCC# 1147
« Reply #40 on: Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM »
Made a *very very* rough photoshop mockup of what my colors will look like with this back plate.   I'm really digging it, but I want to know what you guys think!

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #41 on: Jul 22, 2014, 10:46 PM »
Much love here vod. Do it.

Ronin Tavic

• Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #42 on: Jul 26, 2014, 07:32 PM »
Not bad. Just realize in kit the likelihood of being able to unsheathe those is slim to non.. Mandos don't have good shoulder dexterity.
Also for the bevel, your grit is too high on the sand paper. I smooth my edges with at lowest a 100 grit. And often I finish up with some fine steel wool. Your bevel isn't bad just unfinished. I think an angle and length in the middle of the two you showed would look best.
Ps. It won't be perfect. But that helps in the weathering. You'll get it :)

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"

Endorn

• MMCC# 1147
« Reply #43 on: Jul 29, 2014, 08:14 PM »
Had a heck of a time with the backplate but I think I'm almost there.   Have some trimming to do and need to bondo it instead of tape, but here it is.

Thoughts on the size / fit?   I'm going to *try* to get all the armor shaped tonight hopefully I can get some more pics, but in the mean time I'm a little worried about the back plate just because it's so complicated.

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #44 on: Jul 29, 2014, 11:04 PM »
Looks pretty good from these pics. Although I'd like to see more of the top on you. Are you gonna put a support behind the two halves bridging them?

Endorn

• MMCC# 1147
« Reply #45 on: Jul 30, 2014, 12:04 AM »
Looks pretty good from these pics. Although I'd like to see more of the top on you. Are you gonna put a support behind the two halves bridging them?

Yep absolutely.  bondo too.  Just wanted to make sure I get the shape right before I do all that :)    I'll post more pics here in a minute, uploading them now.

Endorn

• MMCC# 1147
« Reply #46 on: Jul 30, 2014, 12:07 AM »
Ok, I temporarily velcro'd all my shaped parts to my flight suit.  Let me know what you think!  If you guys want any other angle let me know.

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #47 on: Jul 31, 2014, 02:38 PM »
I'd tighten up the gap between the belly plate and chest plates, it's a little big. Other than that, it looks great.

Endorn

• MMCC# 1147
« Reply #48 on: Aug 01, 2014, 11:03 AM »
I'd tighten up the gap between the belly plate and chest plates, it's a little big. Other than that, it looks great.

awesome thanks!  going to start painting tonight!

Also, I made a few stun grenades last night just for fun.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Award for 50 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #49 on: Aug 01, 2014, 01:27 PM »
awesome thanks!  going to start painting tonight!

Also, I made a few stun grenades last night just for fun.

Nifty!  What'd you use as a base, or are these custom scuplted?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!