Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Modern Kit Build

• 16 Replies

ArlynDarkskull

• Aliit ori'shya taldin
Modern Kit Build
« on: Mar 12, 2014, 02:04 PM »
Su cuyi, an'ade!  I saw someone (though I forgot who) simply edit their first post to include the entire WIP and all updates, so I will be changing to that.  Anyway, here is what I've got so far!

My sellers and sources:
 - Helmet from Saz
 - Flightsuit from [Member Permanently Banned For Mercs By-Laws Violations]
 - Vest from K'raam Xrati
 - Plates from K'raam Xrati
 - Weapons from Woodchuck, myself, and modded by Jaa'det Otxoa

My concept:

Plates with first Colour coat:

Plates with Weathering:

First (failed) sizing attempt:

Plates attached for a meeting at work:

Sample App Pics

Everything (almost) attached with Flightsuit, Kama, and Belt

UPDATES (6/6/14)

Got my visor in today!  I also have all of the hook-side velcro cut out and epoxied onto my plates.  Newt step is to get some chicago screws to attach elastic strapping to the leg pieces and bracers.  After that, I can cut out and sex on the loop-side velcro to my vest and flightsuit.  I will also add some miscellaneous bits of velcro to my pouch belt to keep it upright and I will figure out the best way to make a boba-thong to keep my cod piece in the right orientation.  Then comes the long wait for my helmet.  Fortunately, I am near the front of Saz's queue, so I shouldn't need to wait a super long time for it. 

Once the helmet arrives (assuming everything else is completed to CRL standards), I will paint it, install the visor, then install all of the electronics and pad the entire thing with acoustic foam to act as padding and sound-proofing for the microphones.  Then I will add some greeblie-type bits to the inside to make it look smooth and hide all of the wiring.

One of my dream goals for the helmet is to install all rechargeable batteries with the recharge port in one of the keyslot holes.  I also want to add a short-range radio system and surround video cameras so I can see every direction at once.   I will start a helmet WIP once my bucket arrives, though.

View from inside the visor:

UPDATE (6/15/2014):

Working on the new plate attachments (velcro) and finished my girthbelt plus attached the cod piece!  Here are some pre-app style pics.  My appologies for the blurry images.

« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2014, 10:14 PM by ArlynDarkskull » Logged
Modern Mando WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=73466.0

Build Status: 40%

M.A. #120
M.A.J.I.C. # 135
M.A.D. # 051
V.O.T.S. # 010
M.V.S # 009 (nu su)
M.T.S # 036 (nu su)
K.O.M.S. # 004
E.R.A. # 023
V.R.C.A # 047

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Modern Kit Build
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2014, 05:01 PM »
Cool looking concept vod  8)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Zedrin Ho'dag

• Nothing's impossible; impossible just takes longer
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2014, 09:43 PM »
Is your Legacy kit application ready?  If so, you should apply and hopefully become official with that, then start your next build  ;)

MMCC-0537 | M.A.J.I.C-047 | M.A-025 | M.A.D-004 | B.E.A.R.D.S.-028 | V.A.B.S.-004 | V.R.C.A.-069 | S.O.S.-013 | O.S.B.A.-000

Svik Katora

• Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2014, 11:53 PM »
A kit is never "Done".

stinkylinkz

• Back at it again!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2014, 07:04 AM »
The el wire is awesome stuff. Reminds me of the RCs. Purp mando will be quite the ladies mando  8)

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2014, 03:34 PM »
I'm not Sure about the El-wire  , but I shall be Watching with interest ...  ;)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Zedrin Ho'dag

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #6 on: Apr 30, 2014, 08:04 AM »
I know you mentioned that the plates need to be trimmed.  Do you have an updated picture after the trim?

In the pics above, even with the chest spacing crowded, the plates are still too wide.  We have a thumb space that the plates can be separated by, not that I am suggesting that much space between but it may give you an idea of what you have to work with.   ;)

How are the metal plates to work with?

MMCC-0537 | M.A.J.I.C-047 | M.A-025 | M.A.D-004 | B.E.A.R.D.S.-028 | V.A.B.S.-004 | V.R.C.A.-069 | S.O.S.-013 | O.S.B.A.-000

Ordo Riktulus

• The only Force, is Excessive Force.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2014, 12:35 PM »
Since you got K'raam X'rati plates, I would recommend using an air sander on them to get some nice deep battle damage. Great thing about those plates is how they are factory painted for cars so you can get a nice 3D damage look. That's what I did to mine. As far as trimming is concerned, hand held metal shears or a dremel with a metal cutting disk would work but BE CAREFUL!  Once you take it off, you can't put it back on. Oh, and (common sense I know) make sure to file down the edges. I sliced the living shab out of my finger just trying to adjust my thigh plates.  :P All in all, this is looking pretty good so far! Keep it up!

My Clan is my Family.  My Family is my Blood.  My Blood is my Life.  Your Blood is my Profession.

MMCC #0969

FreemanBanana

• Kebii'tra Tracyn
« Reply #8 on: Apr 30, 2014, 01:06 PM »
This is a good start. As mentioned above, be careful though! That's why I chose not to work with metal this time. I used some thin stuff on my last kit and ended up cutting myself and others.

I like the color scheme though. Pretty slick.

Zedrin Ho'dag

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 08:50 AM »
Is there a reason you have the shoulder bells upside down?

The plate sizing and spacing looks good, but it looks like the gut plate is a little wide for the chest plates and is touching the right side on the pic.

What mounting method did you use?

An impressive build so far; very nice work!   8)

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 09:27 AM »
What Panera Do you Work at ?   ;D

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

ArlynDarkskull

• Aliit ori'shya taldin
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 09:28 PM »
Just a heads up.... I've revived this thread and have redone the layout for it.  Read the new first post!

M.A. #120
M.A.J.I.C. # 135
M.A.D. # 051
V.O.T.S. # 010
M.V.S # 009 (nu su)
M.T.S # 036 (nu su)
K.O.M.S. # 004
E.R.A. # 023
V.R.C.A # 047

Svik Katora

• Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 01:31 AM »
Looking nice vod.

ArlynDarkskull

• Aliit ori'shya taldin
« Reply #13 on: Jun 05, 2014, 12:28 AM »
No updates right now, but I do have a question.  How do you all mount your cod piece?  I was thinking about screwing it into a girth belt to hold it up with velcro and a boba-thong to keep it in position, but I am having issues with having a girth belt and ammo belt fit together.  They all seem too loose.

M.A. #120
M.A.J.I.C. # 135
M.A.D. # 051
V.O.T.S. # 010
M.V.S # 009 (nu su)
M.T.S # 036 (nu su)
K.O.M.S. # 004
E.R.A. # 023
V.R.C.A # 047

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Jun 05, 2014, 10:55 PM »
No updates right now, but I do have a question.  How do you all mount your cod piece?  I was thinking about screwing it into a girth belt to hold it up with velcro and a boba-thong to keep it in position, but I am having issues with having a girth belt and ammo belt fit together.  They all seem too loose.
I hot-glued belt loops onto it, then attached it to an under-belt worn beneath my girth belts.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #15 on: Jun 13, 2014, 09:50 AM »
My cod attaches to my kama Belt Via Velcro ;)

as for Bucket I have Mic, transmitter and fans in mine 

DSCN8239 by Niabi Vok'Chi, on Flickr

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

ArlynDarkskull

• Aliit ori'shya taldin
« Reply #16 on: Jul 16, 2014, 11:25 AM »
No updates right now, but I did pay for my helmet from Saz (should be here in a few weeks) and I ordered all of the electronics bits online.  Everything should arrive at about the same time :)  Stay tuned for updates!

M.A. #120
M.A.J.I.C. # 135
M.A.D. # 051
V.O.T.S. # 010
M.V.S # 009 (nu su)
M.T.S # 036 (nu su)
K.O.M.S. # 004
E.R.A. # 023
V.R.C.A # 047

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!