Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bova Fett's Scratch Built Helmet Project

• 15 Replies
Bova Fett's Scratch Built Helmet Project
« on: Dec 11, 2014, 01:41 PM »
I'm using the set of plans I found online from "wizard of flight" and have a decent lower bucket complete. I'll take pictures this week before I begin to form the dome. I'm trying to test myself and hope to get this entire project done before Christmas. If I can do it, then I will start over and spit out a few more buckets and then choose the best one for my Mando Merc's entry.

It normally takes me a while to get my brain wrapped around a project before I can get it right. Actually I think I have somehow assembled the bucket wrong, because when I look at others, theirs look a lot better then what I have at home sitting on my mantle. Its not that it doesn't look like a Mando helmet, just that it looks right now in its cardboard and duct tape stage like a mess.  :-\

I'm hoping that it will look better once I add the putty and start sanding.

Gale Cabur

• Vode an
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume
Re: Bova Fett's Scratch Built Helmet Project
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2014, 02:47 PM »
As someone who just started pep for the first time, hang in there! You're bucket honestly is not going to look good until you get past the bondo/sanding stage, and even then it may not pass. Use those experiences as learning and implement the techniques in the next helmet. I bought mine and have the utmost respect for those that craft their buckets. It takes dedication and skill, no one was perfect their first time.

Feel free to PM me with any questions!

Drako Katora

• It's fun to shoot from bell towers, very dramatic.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2014, 01:03 AM »
Pepakura is a frustrating path to start on first and foremost. There will be times when you just want to crush your build under your heel but that makes the end result all that much more worth it. It's very rewarding to tell fans that "yes, I made this myself out of paper and hard work" Even if it doesnt quite come together like a lot of my peps have it's still a fun ride imho.

If you can post up some pics I'd be glad to give you some specific recommendations on your build!

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2014, 04:27 AM »
As someone who just started pep for the first time, hang in there! You're bucket honestly is not going to look good until you get past the bondo/sanding stage, and even then it may not pass. Use those experiences as learning and implement the techniques in the next helmet. I bought mine and have the utmost respect for those that craft their buckets. It takes dedication and skill, no one was perfect their first time.
Blasphemy!! Lol peping a helmet and using the W.O.F. templates are two different things, I've done both. As for pepakura it can look perfect up to the bondo stage, that is when the very hard work comes in.
Pepakura is a frustrating path to start on first and foremost. There will be times when you just want to crush your build under your heel but that makes the end result all that much more worth it. It's very rewarding to tell fans that "yes, I made this myself out of paper and hard work" Even if it doesnt quite come together like a lot of my peps have it's still a fun ride imho.

If you can post up some pics I'd be glad to give you some specific recommendations on your build!
I personally have stomped one I've my pep builds and it was very gratifying. Both of you have sound advice here. Now for the comments I read from our topic originator.... Why you wasting duct tape Vod? You know that stuff gets everywhere when it gets hot!
If you wanna try a different style of helmet also just for some variety hit me up I think IVW collected as many pepakura Mando helmets as I have pieces of armor to wear... Ok so maybe not my full on Jango style plates but you get the picture. I'm also a good source for helping scale pep files if one of these other experts aren't available. Above all else stay safe out there and have fun my friends!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2015, 04:31 PM »
Well it took some time, but here is the first scratch built bucket. Its currently fiberglassed and after one more coat will get sanded, and painted.

If it comes out right, then I plan on making a mold for it and spitting out some nice splash cast buckets.

« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2015, 04:55 PM by bovafett » Logged

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2015, 05:23 PM »
That's Bondo-glass my friend. I wouldn't do any more coats until that is sanded smooth because you'll end up with a helmet shaped rock otherwise. My profile pic helmet was bondo'd with that stuff.

QMU#084
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2015, 09:14 PM »
That's Bondo-glass my friend. I wouldn't do any more coats until that is sanded smooth because you'll end up with a helmet shaped rock otherwise. My profile pic helmet was bondo'd with that stuff.

Thanks for the tip!

I was thinking of sanding the fine parts down with my dremel, but what should I use for the larger flat parts?

I'm guessing that a sander might be too much for the glass on the bucket, and was planning on doing it by hand. Any suggestions on sanding?

Bowfanny

« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2015, 10:26 PM »
If you used just the bondo glass on your helmet I'm not sure how strong it will be, but to get it as smooth as possible you'll need to use a sander to save yourself a lot of pain in your hands and forearms.

QMU#084
« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2015, 08:45 AM »
If you used just the bondo glass on your helmet I'm not sure how strong it will be, but to get it as smooth as possible you'll need to use a sander to save yourself a lot of pain in your hands and forearms.

I'm not going to use this bucket as my actual bucket. Its just my way of making an armature. I've tried sculpting a Mando bucket a few times before and each time it  was a failure. So I went this route and so far so good. I'm hoping that it comes out good so I don't have to start over and do it again. If I have to do it again I will likely skip the paper templates and go with the shop bucket and hard hat route.

In regards to this attempt, I plan to use bondo on the blemishes and sand down the bondo. If needed I might have to go back and fill in some light areas with bondo glass, and then sand a 3rd time (again if needed). Once I'm done sanding and removing imperfections, and as long as the helmet comes out as desired, I plan on priming it, and coating it with a heavy gloss neutral color paint, most likely a grey. Then coating it with a clear coat.

After the clear coat I'm going to make a two part silicone mold with a hard fiberglass outer shell, and then start splash casting some buckets.

Bowfanny

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2015, 11:29 AM »
Sounds like a plan Vod!

QMU#084
« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2015, 12:04 PM »
Sounds like a plan Vod!

Awesome!!

I've made splash casts of masks before, but never helmets, and this will be my first Mando helmet. Figure gotta start somewhere. I'm looking to make a total of 5 molds of different Mando buckets and armor parts over the next year or so, 2 custom including this one, and 3 cannon versions (Boba, Sabine, and Pre Vizsla).

I'll keep posting pictures... I really hope this turns out right... third times the charm.

Bowfanny

« Reply #11 on: Apr 14, 2015, 12:24 PM »
Well I'll just give you a heads up

Dollar store playing cards work pretty good as a dividing layer as long as you use mold release so the resin doesn't soak all the way through. You need about two or three of the packs of the fiberglass cloth or mat one per side for about four layers of glassing. I'm currently going to be doing B-pulls as my first mold isn't to my liking. Any questions I'm around to help!

QMU#084
« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2015, 04:58 PM »
Well I'll just give you a heads up

Dollar store playing cards work pretty good as a dividing layer as long as you use mold release so the resin doesn't soak all the way through. You need about two or three of the packs of the fiberglass cloth or mat one per side for about four layers of glassing. I'm currently going to be doing B-pulls as my first mold isn't to my liking. Any questions I'm around to help!

Awesome! Thanks for the tips and pictures. I hope to report back soon with my progress.

Bowfanny

« Reply #13 on: Apr 16, 2015, 05:59 PM »
I look foreward to seeing the results.

QMU#084
« Reply #14 on: Apr 18, 2015, 12:52 PM »
Thanks!

Last night I sanded it down and located a minor flaw that I'll need to fix today. The raised space around the T-Visor isn't pronounced enough to be distinctive. So I've sanded it smooth and plan on building this area up with some carboard and some more bondo glass.

So after the Bolts vs Wings game I'm going to fix these issues, re-sand, clean it, and begin applying bondo tonight. Baring another setback I should be able to do my final sanding tomorrow.

This week I plan on painting it and doing the silicone mold  :)

Bowfanny

« Reply #15 on: Apr 18, 2015, 01:10 PM »
If you've got a Dremel its going to be your best friend for helping to bring details into sharper contrast Vod. I've only had my dremels for a few months myself and I couldn't go without them on future builds! Also yes I said that as plural as I've got two of them, ones a 3000 and the other is a 4000. Greatest of luck on your sanding adventures ahead!

QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!