Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Maljohn's Legacy WIP

• 7 Replies

Maljohn Han'Tor

• "I have a bad feeling about this."
  • Awards Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Force Hunter Brigade Member
Maljohn's Legacy WIP
« on: May 23, 2015, 10:10 AM »

Edit: I decided to save on bandwidth a little bit, & renamed my "Legacy Question" thread to my WIP.  Actual WIP stuff starts about 5 replies down.

========================================================

Okay, so I'm kicking around ideas for a second kit. 

I definitely want to go Legacy.  My Alor'ad has a Legacy kit.  He can do amazing things with it, like put it on without help and sit down.

However, I've really been eyeballing the Beastmaster brigades.   ...So my question is this:

Can I do a legacy style kit with armor plates made from hardened leather? (Going to use the cuir bouilli method to harden the plates)

If I'm going to do a Beast Hunter, I'd like it to have an organic feel rather than techie or militaristic.  All earth tones & Leathers, & maybe a little bone.   ...I know this sounds more like it should be Early Crusader, but I just don't like the 'look" of that era armor.  ...& it's kinda bulky or "chunky" looking.  I'd think if you're out there hunting big game, you'd want to be as sleek & streamlined as possible (nothing to snag in the underbrush etc.) To me, Legacy fits that.

« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2015, 04:14 PM by Maljohn Han'Tor » Logged

Sith killed my Mudder! Sith killed my Fadder! Sith killed my people!  They took my fadder’s sward!

Mandalorian Riders #0015, Nerf-herders #09, B.E.A.R.D.S.  #062, B.O.M.B. #35, Kilted Mandalorian brigade #22, B.O.O.M. #05,  VRCA  #60, XMG  #10, Iron Fang #4, KOVA #13, M.A.R.S. #40, M5 #64, L.O.B. #11

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Legacy Question
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 01:03 AM »
I'm no expert but I play one on TV! Legacy is awesome and I'll not wear a normal bojango kit unless I drop over 100 pounds which is not likely to happen. I love my kit and am currently building two extra kits to have on hand just for fun!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 02:07 AM »
The answer is kind of complicated.  Leather is not a material listed under the allowed materials, but it's not listed under the disallowed materials either.  There has been ONE  kit that has gone through as hardened leather.  However, it was painted and looked like plastic unless it was examined closely.  I would say work closely with an app team member and your Clan ruus'alor if you really want to do it.  However, raw leather armor (unpainted) would look like Early Era Mandalorian armor

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2015, 10:17 PM »
Raw hardened leather really wouldn't work for anything but Early Crusader. There's the one Modern kit that Jorad has referred to, but it's not approved yet. We've already okay'ed the plates, but he had a couple other CRL issues to clear up. So yeah, work closely with us and we'll get you there.

Maljohn Han'Tor

• Awards Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Force Hunter Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2015, 07:45 AM »
Raw hardened leather really wouldn't work for anything but Early Crusader. There's the one Modern kit that Jorad has referred to, but it's not approved yet. We've already okay'ed the plates, but he had a couple other CRL issues to clear up. So yeah, work closely with us and we'll get you there.

I should be able to dye it in such a fashion that it's not recognizable as leather.  My idea here is two-fold.  I'm working on a new set of stick fighting armor, and I thought, why not give it some Mando influences?  From there I though, "Heck, why not make it an approvable kit as well?  The weathering could come from actual stick fights."  I knew I wanted to do Legacy since (A) it most closely resembles actual armor & (B)  I've seen the ease with which Jango Nova moves around in his.

Since I like the look of Earth tone leather, I thought I'd take it down the Beastmaster trail.  'Course since that won't work, I'm happy to dye the leather instead.  Maybe approach it as a second Weapons Master kit, since they're also suppose to be clean & streamlined.  I'll either post some pics of what I've got so far (legs & arms) here or start a wip thread & link to it.  I need to make the armor regardless of it being approvable, as my old kit is really starting to wear out.  I just thought it would be awesome to have it usable in the Mercs as well.  ('specially since it's something I could get in & out of by myself, & so the wife wouldn't have to come to EVERY troop in order to dress me. :) )

Sith killed my Mudder! Sith killed my Fadder! Sith killed my people!  They took my fadder’s sward!

Mandalorian Riders #0015, Nerf-herders #09, B.E.A.R.D.S.  #062, B.O.M.B. #35, Kilted Mandalorian brigade #22, B.O.O.M. #05,  VRCA  #60, XMG  #10, Iron Fang #4, KOVA #13, M.A.R.S. #40, M5 #64, L.O.B. #11

Maljohn Han'Tor

Maljohn's Legacy WIP
« Reply #5 on: Jun 10, 2015, 04:11 PM »
As previously stated, this actually going to be stick fighting armor, but I think that if I take my time, & make sure all the non-stick fightin' components are detachable, I can get this to work.

So far, here's my Gauntlets & Shnees:

They've both been tested in SCA combat.  Hard as a rock.  I'll be dying/painting them so they don't look like leather.

& here's the start for my weapons:

Shotgun & heavy blaster. I'm also considering going down the Gunslinger track, since my current kit's already approved for Force Hunter/Weaponsmaster.   Not sure what I'll do for the other 2 gun requirements on gunslinger yet, but it'll be something small.  My current kit has TONS of stuff on it.  Big, Bulky, Tank-like.  ...& while I LOVE my kit, I also want an option for crowded cons, etc. that will be streamlined so I can not only put it on by myself, but I won't snag on everything when walking around.

« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2015, 06:08 PM by Maljohn Han'Tor » Logged

Zerxus Dral

• Leader of merriment
  • Awards 40+ hrs Charity 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Maljohn's Legacy WIP
« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2015, 05:28 PM »
As its already been said work with the app team and your ruus'alor but I can't wait to see what it looks like dyed.

Maljohn Han'Tor

Re: Maljohn's Legacy WIP
« Reply #7 on: Jun 10, 2015, 06:09 PM »
As its already been said work with the app team and your ruus'alor but I can't wait to see what it looks like dyed.

--Will do.  I've already talked to several AP team members, & consensus has been the same.  "Work close with us, & make sure it doesn't look like leather."  Not a problem.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!