Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mandalorian Extractor - Planning (with awesome art)

• 24 Replies

Zurginator

• Always outmanned, never outgunned.
Mandalorian Extractor - Planning (with awesome art)
« on: Jul 11, 2015, 10:30 AM »
Greetings, gentlemen! I'm in the process of designing my armor build, and figured I'd post what I've got for analysis by interested parties.

My plan is to create an "Extractor" persona. Basically my job would be to extract things - be it people, tech, weapons, or information. Primary approach would be stealth, with some serious firepower in case I need to get out fast.

So let's start with concept art I've done to figure out the general armor:

Slightly varied chest armor, cut down to save weight and increase mobility. Leather boots/gauntlets for similar reasons. The helmet is a modified Jango helm type, exaggerated chin, with vents that look like teeth. I hope to get an Aluminum helmet made, but if that doesn't work out I'd like suggestions on how to paint it so it looks like metal. Black leather, charcoal and 'nude' armor, and a dark grey undersuit with just a hint of a blue wash.

Next we'll discuss armament.
Primary weapons are 8 large vibroknives. These will be stored: 2 in the armpits,2 in the gauntlets, 2 on the belt, and 2 in the boots.
Backup for stealth is 12 throwing vibroknives in case I need to strike further. These will be stored with 8 on the thighs and 4 on the upper arms.
Primary escape weapon is a 'sawed-off' rifle that will be mounted across the kidneys.
Backup escape weapon will be 2 boot pistols.

The only weapon I've started the design process for thus far is the rifle. Plan is to take this, saw off the stock, remove the barrel, and mount twin pipes as a shorter double barrel. After that will be the general Swarzyness of a giant scope, some gears/mount points, and such. Does anyone know a way to mod it so it plays a sound when the trigger is pulled?

Edit1: Went ahead and drew up an idea for how the knives could look.

Edit2: Swarzed up a pistol kit for my holdout blasters.

« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2015, 08:22 PM by Zurginator » Logged

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
Re: Mandalorian Extractor - Planning (with awesome art)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2015, 10:52 AM »
Love the idea. Deffinately has the "extractor" feel you're going for. A few thoughts though:
buy'ce: Might consider looking at the Lonewolf Executioner. It has much the look you're going for already. 
Gaunts: Might consider some form of low profile hard gaunts. Maybe a Fett-style grappling dart launcher for getting in and out quickly and undetected and/or retractable vibroblades.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2015, 11:01 AM »
The art looks amazing. Idea is great, you must like your knives because that is a lot of them. Painting a bucket to look like metal isn't hard, get a rattlecan of metallic paint.

Zurginator

« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2015, 11:06 AM »
Love the idea. Deffinately has the "extractor" feel you're going for. A few thoughts though:
buy'ce: Might consider looking at the Lonewolf Executioner. It has much the look you're going for already. 
Gaunts: Might consider some form of low profile hard gaunts. Maybe a Fett-style grappling dart launcher for getting in and out quickly and undetected and/or retractable vibroblades.
The Executioner was actually brought up by someone else, and I did look into it (actually asked Lonewolf if he had an issue with mine being similar, though it was designed without that influence). Between ventilation and visibility though, I decided to stick with mine.

The gauntlets were designed to match the boots, which can be found here.  I just like how those look.

Thanks for the input though!

The art looks amazing. Idea is great, you must like your knives because that is a lot of them. Painting a bucket to look like metal isn't hard, get a rattlecan of metallic paint.

Thanks. I do like knives, as they are the ultimate stealth weapon. I loaded out on them because I think it'd be great to have a situation like in The Dark Knight where they're pulling knives out of the Joker's jacket like crazy.

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2015, 11:26 AM »
Thanks. I do like knives, as they are the ultimate stealth weapon. I loaded out on them because I think it'd be great to have a situation like in The Dark Knight where they're pulling knives out of the Joker's jacket like crazy.
As i like to tell all my gun loving friends: "Never bring a gun to a knife fight." Which is why the final version of any kit i make will include at least one knife.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Ra'lu Ger

• Ak'aan Kadala
« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2015, 12:03 PM »
I love the design work. Seriously, that's clean.

On the gaunts, you may want to ask someone from the App team if that can get you approval for OM if that's your desire. The CRL for gaunts is a little confusing about leather gaunts(at least to me).

Forearms must be fully covered by one of the following:

Full or half/bracer style hard shell gauntlets.
    Heavy leather bracers which wrap at least 3/4 of the way around the forearm.
    Laces are HIGHLY discouraged as a method to secure these types of bracers.
    Preferred methods would be belting or buckles.
    Materials such as vinyl, pleather, and thin leather or suede will NOT be acceptable as a use for forearm covering. Pleathers or vinyl COULD be made into strips for wraps but are unacceptable as bracers.
    Ren Fair bracers, Unmodified-Leather bracers, Reenactment bracers are no longer acceptbale; and if an individual wishes to become a beast master than the leather gauntlet will be permitted but only after being approved.
    Wraps will no longer be permitted to replace gauntlets unless used specifically for the “Montross” Mandalorian character, future canon characters with wraps for gauntlets, or Early Crusader armor kits.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/get-involved/costume-requirements/

Buy'ce WIP

MAJIC: 151
VABS: 14
-John

Zurginator

« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2015, 12:27 PM »
I love the design work. Seriously, that's clean.

On the gaunts, you may want to ask someone from the App team if that can get you approval for OM if that's your desire. The CRL for gaunts is a little confusing about leather gaunts(at least to me).

Thanks. From how I read it, Leather is acceptable if it's thicker - so I should be fine. Plan is a 3 piece pull-on with a wrap-around tightener (just like the boots). I did submit a question on that one forum for it, but none of the images went through for some reason. I guess I should send a PM for that?

Also does anyone know how long we have to keep answering these verification questions before posting/PMing? Kinda bothersome.

Russiya

• Live for today forget about tomarrow
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2015, 12:34 PM »
I have found that making the tee visor on your bucket a little more custom can be done simply with some bondo

Natan Vizsla

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2015, 12:59 PM »
The verification is only for about a week I believe. It couldn't hurt to PM a member of the App Team about it since the pictures didn't go through.

Zurginator

« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2015, 01:17 PM »
I have found that making the tee visor on your bucket a little more custom can be done simply with some bondo

That would work if I end up going that route - though it looks like I've found a steel helmet.

The verification is only for about a week I believe. It couldn't hurt to PM a member of the App Team about it since the pictures didn't go through.

I guess I'll be doing that then.

Drew up what my knives should look like:

I know a guy with a laser cutter, so I should be getting these cut from metal too.

Natan Vizsla

« Reply #10 on: Jul 11, 2015, 01:29 PM »
I would not get them cut from metal. It would be awesome but most events wouldn't allow them in.

Corvus

• "Rejoice. For very bad things are about to happen.
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months EnviroOps
« Reply #11 on: Jul 11, 2015, 03:48 PM »
Daaaang, loving that concept.  :o

| MMCC #1219 | K.O.M.S #50 | IT-Mando #19 | M.V.S.  #21 | S.O.S. #15
WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=83165.0

Zurginator

« Reply #12 on: Jul 11, 2015, 08:21 PM »
I would not get them cut from metal. It would be awesome but most events wouldn't allow them in.

I had heard as long as they were blunt it would be fine. Did I hear wrong?

Daaaang, loving that concept.  :o

Thanks.

Swarzed up a pistol kit for my holdout blasters.

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
« Reply #13 on: Jul 11, 2015, 08:28 PM »
I had heard as long as they were blunt it would be fine. Did I hear wrong?
It depends on the con. Some allow them as long as they're blunted, some don't allow metal blades at all. If you make them out of plastic or wood you can avoid the whole issue however

Zurginator

« Reply #14 on: Jul 11, 2015, 09:26 PM »
It depends on the con. Some allow them as long as they're blunted, some don't allow metal blades at all. If you make them out of plastic or wood you can avoid the whole issue however
Did some reading - one of the local cons allows steel, the other doesn't allow metal, plastic, or wood.

...that's a slight problem. I might try Balsa since they're unlikely to say anything about that.

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

• Ni ven cuyi o'r ner haavlam
« Reply #15 on: Jul 11, 2015, 10:14 PM »
the other doesn't allow metal, plastic, or wood.

...that's a slight problem. I might try Balsa since they're unlikely to say anything about that.

Hmmm... they don't allow wood... you're aware that Balsa's a wood, right, vod?  :laugh:

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions

Zurginator

« Reply #16 on: Jul 11, 2015, 10:18 PM »
Hmmm... they don't allow wood... you're aware that Balsa's a wood, right, vod?  :laugh:

I am, but considering how light and pliable it is it would probably pass inspection. I would rather not resort to foam as I've yet to see a foam knife that didn't look absolutely terrible.

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
« Reply #17 on: Jul 11, 2015, 10:24 PM »
I am, but considering how light and pliable it is it would probably pass inspection. I would rather not resort to foam as I've yet to see a foam knife that didn't look absolutely terrible.
Can you make/buy some urethane rubber ones?

Ra'lu Ger

• Ak'aan Kadala
« Reply #18 on: Jul 11, 2015, 11:45 PM »
In regards to the verification, I believe it's tied to post count. It was a month or so for me before I stopped seeing it.

Buy'ce WIP

MAJIC: 151
VABS: 14
-John

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #19 on: Jul 12, 2015, 02:50 AM »
Like I said in the PM I'm diggin the concept , and keep fine tuning the blades and I'm sure you get a Con Friendly alternative ..  ;)

If not , there is the option of Having a Separate Rig with only the " look " of Carrying a lot of blades and Just making them Faux and permanently Holstered.

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #20 on: Jul 14, 2015, 10:58 AM »
The design looks awesome, I'm also in awe of the just the skill of that concept.

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #21 on: Jul 14, 2015, 11:17 AM »
A good idea, will also cut down on the weight. A "light" kit can get awful heavy, depending on materials used.

As for leather gauntlets, the won't allow just leather, no matter how thick. I asked.  A good alternative would be a half shell gauntlet. Another would be strips of armor in among leather wraps.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Zurginator

« Reply #22 on: Jul 17, 2015, 10:05 AM »
Can you make/buy some urethane rubber ones?

I just hate using rubber after going through the hassle of making everything else out of real materials.

Like I said in the PM I'm diggin the concept , and keep fine tuning the blades and I'm sure you get a Con Friendly alternative ..  ;)

If not , there is the option of Having a Separate Rig with only the " look " of Carrying a lot of blades and Just making them Faux and permanently Holstered.

This might be a decent idea for the other convention. I'll have to change the holsters to hide the blades though.

The design looks awesome, I'm also in awe of the just the skill of that concept.

Thanks. Drawing concepts is definitely what I'm good at.

A good idea, will also cut down on the weight. A "light" kit can get awful heavy, depending on materials used.

As for leather gauntlets, the won't allow just leather, no matter how thick. I asked.  A good alternative would be a half shell gauntlet. Another would be strips of armor in among leather wraps.

You're not kidding - it's looking like 80lbs for the full kit.  :-X

According to the CRLs leather is fine:
5. Gauntlets:
[...]
Forearms must be fully covered by one of the following:
[...]
     2. Heavy leather bracers which wrap at least 3/4 of the way around the forearm.

You're saying they just haven't updated the CRLs?

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #23 on: Jul 17, 2015, 10:46 AM »
It's possible that they didn't...Last year there was a slew of posts that went out across the clans/regions... that pretty much went thusly.

"We here in the App team are always looking at our CRLs and seeing what we can do to improve and adjust the CRLs to keep the quality of our armor builds to that of the standard of the MMCC. That being said we have some new additions to our CRLs effective 9/26/14 for new aspiring members and our current Official Members. For our OMs we are giving a 6 month grace period to be in compliance with our new CRLs. For any questions contact any member of the App team for further assistance.

CRL Changes
- Banning of Ren Fair bracers, Leather bracers, Reenactment bracers; and if an individual wishes to become a beast master than the leather gauntlet will be permitted but only after being approved.
- Wraps will no longer be permitted to replace gauntlets unless used specifically for the "Montross" Mandalorian character, future canon characters with wraps for gauntlets, or Early Crusader armor kits.
- Shemaghs will fall under the quality clause and if the App team deems it takes away from the quality of the kit than the shemagh will be requested to be removed from the kit."

Your best bet would be to contact the App Team and ask.

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Mandocraft

• legends never die, they become apart of you
« Reply #24 on: Nov 19, 2020, 11:59 AM »
hey i would love templates for this so i can make it for a youtube video series i am doing

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!