Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Lyra Armor WIP

• 68 Replies

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Lyra Armor WIP
« Reply #50 on: Sep 13, 2015, 10:13 AM »

Regardless of adjustments I need to make there, they will have to wait until my next trip home from college.

Ah! The painstaking ordeal of not having your mando workshop at college! I've managed to take advantage of stuff here (bought a small sewing kit) but yes, I'm right there with you vod...

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #51 on: Sep 13, 2015, 06:46 PM »
This is looking amazing.  I'm very impressed.  Superb job, vod.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

3mandos

• "Kebii'tra Verd" #2179
« Reply #52 on: Sep 13, 2015, 06:56 PM »
Awesome job! Looks good.

Hulahooper

• Lyra Senaar
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #53 on: Sep 22, 2015, 09:22 PM »
Went to my first Armor party last weekend, got some handy tips from Meerel and Chro there :) . Here's where I am at:

Couple of notes:
- Flight suit is definitely too baggy but still has to wait until I have time to fix with a sewing machine
- Not sure I like the loin cloth, may just keep the scarf for casual wear, I think a more sturdy loin cloth or perphaps a bikini cod would be better. Difficult choice
- The cape is *not* cooperating, I need to rethink there. Idk, also debating switching to a backplate and going with a side cape. I can't make up my mind  ???
- Shoulder pads and shins will have designs added to them, but that's for another day
- Knees are almost done but require  which is in progress
- I know I'm slouching in the picture, it makes the plates look misaligned but my picture taker is very busy with homework and I didn't want to disturb them for another
- Spats are also being difficult, Meerel pointed me to some templates, which I will try out soon
- Feel like a badass

« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2015, 09:26 PM by Hulahooper » Logged
Lyra Senaar
The Hulahooping Mandalorian

Kol Varek

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #54 on: Sep 23, 2015, 09:19 AM »
Could we get a couple pictures of those gauntlets please?

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Hulahooper

• Lyra Senaar
« Reply #55 on: Sep 23, 2015, 01:37 PM »
Could we get a couple pictures of those gauntlets please?

As you wish

They're pretty simple, just some Sintra trapezoids shaped around my arms attached with velcro (although with shaping that's mostly unnecessary). Intentionally different lengths as the one on my right hand has wrapping above it. Eventually, I'd like to add spikes to the left gauntlet (not sure what the best way to do that is though) and my clan logo to the right (after I become official).

Lyra Senaar

Kol Varek

« Reply #56 on: Sep 23, 2015, 02:07 PM »
I would really greeb those up and put some more stuff on them. They would probably get dinged for quality by the app team, just a heads up. Best advice is add parts on so it doesn't look like a piece of sintra rolled up  :blank: otherwise kit looks pretty good!

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #57 on: Sep 23, 2015, 06:24 PM »
My gauntlets are of a very similar style. My advice would be to make sure the edges line up where it overlaps - basically just trim off the poky-out bits. You don't need greebs if you don't want them, as long as the look is consistent with the rest of your kit ;)

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Hulahooper

• Lyra Senaar
« Reply #58 on: Sep 23, 2015, 09:32 PM »
My gauntlets are of a very similar style. My advice would be to make sure the edges line up where it overlaps - basically just trim off the poky-out bits. You don't need greebs if you don't want them, as long as the look is consistent with the rest of your kit ;)

I think trimming the bottom to match up the pokey edges is a good idea.

I would really greeb those up and put some more stuff on them. They would probably get dinged for quality by the app team, just a heads up. Best advice is add parts on so it doesn't look like a piece of sintra rolled up  :blank: otherwise kit looks pretty good!

I just want to point out that the CRLs don't require greebles on your gauntlets. Not to mention I've seen OM with simple gauntlets like mine. Mind you, I do intend to eventually upgrade them to a more elaborate design. It's just not something that's in my plans for my first iteration of my kit.

The main reason I'm waiting is that I want to incorporate the Wampa Clan logo into one of my gauntlets, and I have to be an OM in order to have permission to do that. The method I am using to work that design is a labor intensive process. It seems silly to put a whole bunch of effort into if I am going to immediately replace it once I become an official member.

Lyra Senaar

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #59 on: Sep 23, 2015, 10:43 PM »
I think trimming the bottom to match up the pokey edges is a good idea.

I just want to point out that the CRLs don't require greebles on your gauntlets. Not to mention I've seen OM with simple gauntlets like mine. Mind you, I do intend to eventually upgrade them to a more elaborate design. It's just not something that's in my plans for my first iteration of my kit.

The main reason I'm waiting is that I want to incorporate the Wampa Clan logo into one of my gauntlets, and I have to be an OM in order to have permission to do that. The method I am using to work that design is a labor intensive process. It seems silly to put a whole bunch of effort into if I am going to immediately replace it once I become an official member.

Yes the CRLs say that you can have bare gauntlets, however since they are un-painted and un-weathered at this time they look like you just rolled some sintra and called it a day.  Also, talk to your Alor'ad, you should be able to get permission to put the clan sigil on your armor prior to approval.  I was able to, and all my UMs have to do to put the Kyrimorut Crab on their armor is ask (we've even got templates already made).  I'd suggest at least putting some weathering on the gauntlets and perhaps putting a few 'buttons' and things on there so they don't look quite so clean and new.  That being said, it's your kit and you can do what you want with it. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Hulahooper

• Lyra Senaar
« Reply #60 on: Sep 23, 2015, 11:17 PM »
I'll look into it, probably won't weather it though as I'm not weathering the rest of the armor. Like I understand the concerns but I'm not sure how to address it without compromising what I want to do.

« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2015, 11:30 PM by Hulahooper » Logged
Lyra Senaar

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #61 on: Sep 23, 2015, 11:24 PM »
I think what it needs is some purple. Leave space in the design for your clan logo, of course, but I do agree with Jorad that it seems bare. Are you actually painting your white plates or is that the sintra?

Hulahooper

• Lyra Senaar
« Reply #62 on: Sep 23, 2015, 11:48 PM »
I did paint the chest/ab plates because I wanted to match the texture of the bird but honestly the stark white color I wanted for my palette is actually the same exact shade as the sintra. I could paint them, but they would most likely look the same as they do now. I could paint them purple but I didn't originally intend them to be purple. And it's not really an option for me to just paint part of the gauntlet. I was basically gonna cover the whole thing with my clan logo.

really Rough Sketch (I can't freehand the Wampa logo but you can google it if you wanna see it better) [thsi would be done like the bird as a raised second layer

And I guess I could just do the other one but I feel like that would be worse because it would draw attention to the plain one? Idk

Lyra Senaar

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #63 on: Sep 23, 2015, 11:51 PM »
What about a purple band at the top and bottom?  Nothing fancy, maybe just an inch or two wide. That would show that you'd painted it, while still leaving room for the sigil.

Hulahooper

• Lyra Senaar
« Reply #64 on: Sep 26, 2015, 06:17 PM »
I think for now I'm gonna table the issue of my gauntlets because I'm not sure where to go there and I have other things to work on, while I think about what I want to do.
Today I worked up my left shoulder plate. I still have a little more final sanding (especially to clean up a little excess epoxy) but it's mostly there.

« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2015, 06:24 PM by Hulahooper » Logged
Lyra Senaar

Mercy

« Reply #65 on: Sep 27, 2015, 01:02 AM »
I love carved and layered sintra.
Good work.

You know who I am. Even a monster such as you has nightmares.
Before you die...say my name...

Master Build Thread

Kol Varek

« Reply #66 on: Sep 27, 2015, 12:55 PM »
Lyra, check out Demios Ordo. He had a legecy build back in 2013 and had these sintra roll gauntlets that looked really good. He may have a template for them, if it's not on his WIP. Don't worry, gauntlets are always the most frustrating part of a build.

Hulahooper

• Lyra Senaar
« Reply #67 on: Oct 27, 2015, 08:52 PM »
It's been a while since I made a post, a combination of insecurity and schoolwork slowed my progress.
But I've gotten it decent for Halloween.

Sorry you can't see the bottom half really well it's hard to get a person to take the pics up at college so I do the best I can with Mando selfies.

Lyra Senaar

Kol Varek

« Reply #68 on: Oct 28, 2015, 10:00 AM »
That looks really good bud! Good to see it all together!!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!