Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP New Ithica

• 27 Replies
WIP New Ithica
« on: Apr 26, 2024, 04:54 PM »
I submitted my app but was informed from other amazing Members of some things that may not pass. I am prepared to make the changes and in fact have made some small changes already that should not affect the current submission.

Changes:
1. I am redoing my gauntlets for comfort but they will be 99% identical to the current ones.
2. The Mythosaur may have to come off due to era requirement.
3. The diamond may have to be removed and I would use just the dark outline of the diamond because of the era. Please note this is Crusader Era armor but it is fan based so they added tye diamond.
4. Jetpack leans back due to the indent of the small of the back. This has been corrected.

Nibralgurr Skirata

• "Ni ne dinuir laam pelyc. Ni ratiin kaden nibral"
Re: WIP New Ithica
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2024, 05:47 PM »
Your armor is instantly recognizable as that of the Crusader, especially the helmet.
I love the old Mandalorians in general, congratulations for your work  :porg2:

"Yeah. Very heavy. Heavy is best"

Apox Borr

• I can never find the hydrospanner when I need it
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2024, 08:27 PM »
It looks we're Going to have another mando in the field very soon :like:

« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2024, 10:37 PM »
Your armor is instantly recognizable as that of the Crusader, especially the helmet.
I love the old Mandalorians in general, congratulations for your work  :porg2:

Thank you very much. I appreciate the feedback.

Ithica

« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2024, 10:38 PM »
It looks we're Going to have another mando in the field very soon :like:

I appreciate the vote of confidence.  Thank you.

Ithica

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2024, 07:18 AM »
Copying this over from your concept thread so others can see your progress and "mustard" method.  ;)

Two things we talked about in messages were the modern mythosaur symbol on your chest plate and modern center diamond.  I think you have good fixes for both.  Oya!

List of most of your videos on TikTok with links for others to check out your WIP below:

Helmet printing

Helmet smooth print

Helmet orange coat mustard masking

Helmet red coat mustard masking

Helmet clear coat after removing mustard masking

Completed helmet with weathering and LEDs

Thigh armor, gauntlets, and other armor updates along with reference images

Multiple projects including finish work on crusader armor pieces

Clamshell gauntlets and shins

Jetpack

Weapons, armor details, and dry brushing

Jetboots, gauntlets, and other armor updates

Thigh troubleshooting and blaster mounting clips

Armor updates

Finalizing armor, LEDs, and boot swap

Everyone this is an incredible build and I highly recommend checking out Ithica 's progress videos.  I installed Tiktok yesterday, not sure I'm going to keep it but it was worth it to check out these videos.  Superb work and problem solving.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Kit#1 Karl Dha'Werda WIP - Nov 2015
Kit#2 'Late' Crusader WIP - Dec 2016
Kit#3 PI Survivor WIP - ETA May/June 2024
Oyu'baat - OM Troops: 96
mandalorianarmour.org
« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2024, 12:19 PM »
Copying this over from your concept thread so others can see your progress and "mustard" method.  ;)

Two things we talked about in messages were the modern mythosaur symbol on your chest plate and modern center diamond.  I think you have good fixes for both.  Oya!

List of most of your videos on TikTok with links for others to check out your WIP below:

Helmet printing

Helmet smooth print

Helmet orange coat mustard masking

Helmet red coat mustard masking

Helmet clear coat after removing mustard masking

Completed helmet with weathering and LEDs

Thigh armor, gauntlets, and other armor updates along with reference images

Multiple projects including finish work on crusader armor pieces

Clamshell gauntlets and shins

Jetpack

Weapons, armor details, and dry brushing

Jetboots, gauntlets, and other armor updates

Thigh troubleshooting and blaster mounting clips

Armor updates

Finalizing armor, LEDs, and boot swap

Everyone this is an incredible build and I highly recommend checking out Ithica 's progress videos.  I installed Tiktok yesterday, not sure I'm going to keep it but it was worth it to check out these videos.  Superb work and problem solving.

I just got the chills reading this. You took so much time and effort to add these videos which tells me you took the time to watch then before posting them.  I cannot express enough how amazing that is. Thank you kindly.

Ithica

« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2024, 10:07 PM »
Here are some changes on the chest armor....

Removing the Mythosaur

Trust the process

The Final result

Let me know what you think....

Ithica

Karl Dha'Werda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2024, 11:25 PM »
Love the ketchup method!  The blast mark looks good and can't even tell what was there before.  Looking forward to the chest area update next!

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
mandalorianarmour.org
« Reply #9 on: Apr 28, 2024, 02:36 AM »
Here is an update on the diamond...

The diamond removed

Ithica

Nibralgurr Skirata

« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2024, 10:38 AM »
I don't have a TikTok but I understand that food is used to make Weathering, very clever

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2024, 12:45 PM »
I don't have a TikTok but I understand that food is used to make Weathering, very clever

Similar to liquid latex or a masking fluid.  Paint metallic then use the masking fluid, in Ithica's case ketchup and mustard.  Then paint over the top with a different color paint.  Sometimes in layers with additional masking fluid and other paint.  Then once dried remove the masking fluid to expose the layers underneath.  Weathering technique.

Here is an update on the diamond...

The diamond removed

Looks good and does match up well with reference images for an inset diamond shape from the crusader era.  For others reference these are Ramikadyc style crusader plates approved by the MMCC in 2015 for Crusader Era.  The image links are broken but the helmet Ithica is using is also ramikadyc style and it a slight different version than Kebii'tra Verda's (David White's) old website for The Mandalorian Arsenal (TMA).

As per our discussion on FB Messenger here are the additional adjustments found while looking over the CRLs (see below) and the photos you posted above.  I know you already submitted so the approval team over your costume will find additional things, but figured I help as another crusader on what I can see right now.  You'll get an additional fix/adjustment list from them when they review it to add to my observations.

Discussed that your jetpack is based on Deathwatch (circled in blue) which is Modern Era.  I remember watching the video briefly with that hiccup on the lower jetpack file.  Here are some references.  I'm at my computer today so I'm looking a little close at some of your details to help you out.  Showed some reference images and you said you were able to fix a file to get the jetpack (circled in red) which fits the era better.  The lower right images is the same kit found on the CRL page for the Crusader Era.  Fitz out of Krayt Clan (Utah).

Lift on your backplate, which can be fixed when you update with the new jetpack above (circled in red).

Attachment method for armor pieces if using rivets or screws need to be painted the same color as the paint scheme: "Rivets used to attach armor must be painted to match armor."

Personal opinion but your shoulder armor might be on the smaller side (see attached reference images):

There are some visible print lines still showing up.  The gauntlet most visible in the left side.  The jetpack since you'll be swapping that out but figured I'd point out.  One way to help smooth these out in addition to primer filler is using modeling paste and then sanding it smooth to add an extra layer.  Also try looking at the prints in different lighting as some may be more or less visible with daylight outside or spotlights.  I know about sanding out print lines, I'm still working on removing them from my jetpack for PI Survivor kit right now.

Pocket and zipper pull tab needs to be removed from flightsuit (left arm).  Taking in the arms a little bit with tailoring could help with fit better.  They aren't super baggy but could be taken in.

Gloves have visible skin.  This is the same as the gloves I have for my modern kit.  My solution was a piece of fabric glued in place to hide my skin.  Also the gloves, flightsuit, flak vest, boots, and the ammo belt could use some weathering to match your heavily weathered armor.  This is the most common to have severely weathered armor and clean soft parts as an adjustment needed.

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2024, 03:06 PM by Karl Dha'Werda » Logged
mandalorianarmour.org

Nibralgurr Skirata

« Reply #12 on: Apr 28, 2024, 05:18 PM »
As a fan of Crusaders and SWTOR I'm finding this topic really intriguing

« Reply #13 on: Apr 28, 2024, 08:05 PM »
Thank you very much. I appreciate the feedback.

Ithica

« Reply #14 on: Apr 29, 2024, 01:08 AM »
I put some paint on the Chicago screws ad well as added more grime to the soft parts and armor to blend them together.

The Added details to chicago screws/added more grime

Ithica

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #15 on: Apr 29, 2024, 08:20 AM »
The weathering on your soft parts, especially your boot/shoes really helps tie everything together.  The chicago screws also look great and add to the weathering process you've done on the rest of your armor.

The boot/shoes are a little concerning with the soft parts (black) of the boots; I don't have a solution for the flex points on them (metatarsal area and heel areas).

Note that the blasters (weapons) do not need to match in weathering, not a CRL requirement.  Just make sure any and all print lines have been removed.  The print lines would be different than manufactured machining lines on a metal weapon.  The grains with prints tend to run a different direction than what you'd see with the grain of metal or wood on blasters.

Jetpack printing looks great and with the mudhorn signet removed it should fit the era references (center top image in jetpack reference above) a whole lot better than your modern deathwatch jetpack.  Excited to see what kind of LEDs you place in this one to help it pop with SWTOR vibes.

Looking forward to seeing this all put together.  Each improvement you do really makes your kit that much better.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 08:18 AM by Karl Dha'Werda » Logged
mandalorianarmour.org
« Reply #16 on: Apr 29, 2024, 06:16 PM »
Made a new set of gauntlets for comfort. Also I tried a new process with resin to help get rid of layer lines.

Resized new gauntlets... finished gauntlets

Jetpack being resined....

Ithica

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2024, 07:44 PM by IthicaIsBack » Logged
« Reply #17 on: Apr 30, 2024, 11:34 PM »
Here is the new updated kit....

Let me know what you think...

Ithica

Nibralgurr Skirata

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2024, 04:15 AM »
Really nice jetpack and also the lightsabers

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2024, 06:31 AM »
Thank you very much.

Ithica

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2024, 10:06 PM »
Soooo. After 2 attempts let's hope the 3rd time is a charm.... here is the newest Jetpack. I decided not to 3d print one so I scratch built one. Let me know what you think.

Ithica

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2024, 10:24 PM »
Feels more Crusader Era in my personal opinion  then the 2nd one.  Did you base the idea off the reference images below?

mandalorianarmour.org
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2024, 10:30 PM »
Feels more Crusader Era in my personal opinion  then the 2nd one.  Did you base the idea off the reference images below?

It was my inspiration. I'm feeling pretty good about this one.

Ithica

Nibralgurr Skirata

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2024, 08:05 AM »
I love scrach builds, and this one is really believable and accurate

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2024, 01:13 PM »
I love scrach builds, and this one is really believable and accurate

thank you very much. I appreciate the kind words.

Ithica

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!