Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Scratch Built Rangefinder and modified Don Post Helmet- COMPLETE

• 15 Replies
So I have had a Gon Post Boba Fett helmet for years. AND I MEAN YEARS. Like I got it as a kid in 97 or 98. Anyway, it has over the years been damaged, lost its range-finder and visor. But now I have decided to put it to use, so I am working on repairing the helmet while my armour is being shipped.

Now I am a dedicated hobbyist. I had been looking at buying a new rangefinder but then said to myself "Heck, I can make one easy"

First thing, here you can see where the missing ear piece is. I am going to use plasticard to make a replacement cover. Scroll on to find out what the nickels are for...

So here is my stem. It consists of a Plasticard (Styrene Sheet) I beam in the middile and a plasticard square tube on one side and a wooden dowel on the other. I made it about 15cm long.

THE NICKLES. So these are almost the PERFECT Size for the range finder mount. to pivot. A little adjustment with a dremmel and it will be perfect. I super glued the nickles together and then I epoxied the stem to them.

Here is what I made the range finder out of. It is 4 x 6 cm, 2 deep on the stem side, 1 on the inner side. Thickest on top, medium plasticard for the walls and the bottom is paper really thin and flexible plasticard, as that is easy to curve. I reinforced the inside with "green stuff" epoxy.  I then sanded down the edges the make it smooth all around

Filling in the dents and labels. I am going to sand them down next. Filled them in with "Grey" and "Green stuff" modelling epoxies

And finally (for now) I have built up the bottom of the left cheek a little to make it better match the right. I will sand this down too.

« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2015, 03:36 AM by Gothmog Balrog » Logged

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Scratch Built Rangefinder and modified Don Post Helmet WIP
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2015, 03:03 AM »
Like the trick with the nickles Vod, you're off to a great start. With that base helmet you're cutting your time for most major mid stuffs. Can't wait to see more!

QMU#084
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2015, 01:13 AM »
that's what I call a $100 idea that cost 5cents. Nice job! :laugh:

15 years of miniature models has made me "wise in the ways of the force" aka hobby shortcuts.

« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2015, 04:47 AM »
MORE WORK YAY!!!

Cut out my visor

Ground out the ear some

Sanded my fillings. Later I primed and resanded some parts and primed again

Building up the ear

New ear cover

And primed. You can see the filling still, so I sanded some more and reprimed. It went away for the most part and should disapear with a full paint job

Reginmund

• Gar taldin ni jaonyc; gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2015, 10:58 AM »
Looks great! I really like the little tips and tricks you have used so far.

C.A. #67 | M.A. #160 | M.A.D. #69 | M.A.R.S. #64 |M.L.C.S. #32 | VABS

JatneDan

• If it's still moving, check for a pulse.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2015, 06:20 AM »
Looking good broski!

I paint models myself. Plenty of GW. Black Templars, tau and imperial guard. Just did some terminators a few weeks ago actually.

One comment. You may have messed up cutting out the entire t visor. I think most people leave a little bit in the corners and in the bottom of the vertical portion because that's what you glue the visor to. You don't glue it along the edges. :/.do you have another plan? Do share please, because I accidentally did the same.

Looks great tho.

Lynn TXP 0369

• He's no good to me dead.
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2015, 08:02 AM »

One comment. You may have messed up cutting out the entire t visor. I think most people leave a little bit in the corners and in the bottom of the vertical portion because that's what you glue the visor to. You don't glue it along the edges. :/.do you have another plan? Do share please, because I accidentally did the same.

Looks great tho.
He'll be fine.
He can also mount the visor like I did mine.

I used Chicago screws with the screw part epoxied to the helmet, modified picture hangers, and nuts to hold everything together. I got to find some 8/32 thumb nuts to fit the screws instead of the nuts as it will make visor removal much easier.
No glue, no fuss no muss easy visor removal.

Lynn

Phil. 4:13
Ex Phoenix Squadron member TXP 0369.
Helmet done.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=100331.15

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2015, 10:40 AM »
I glue my visors down along the edge.

QMU#084
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2015, 11:09 AM »
Yeah, I have plenty of overlap. I am probably going to glue it down just to make the helmet more rigid

Bowfanny

« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2015, 11:54 AM »
Any type of visor install makes your helmet more rigid. I recently replaced the visor in my vizsla and Without the visor it was more flexible than I remembered it being. Which scared me until I got the new visor in! I used hot glue on a couple spots and didn't glue the entire perimeter like I did the first time! Lol

QMU#084
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2015, 10:50 AM »
It has been weathered as well but here is the last helmet only photo. I am going to matte varnish it today and then I can mount in my T-Visor

« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2015, 02:08 PM »

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2015, 09:29 AM »
Looks great vod!!  Nicely done with the RF and earcap.  :)

I will try and get better photos later, but my bucket is DONE

I matte varnished it and installed my T-Visor and Foam with Hot glue. Foam is a cut up mattress topper

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!