Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Scratch build, progress Pics, thanks for looking, Aluminum casted helmet.

• 84 Replies

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Scratch build, progress Pics, thanks for looking
« Reply #50 on: Nov 20, 2015, 07:42 PM »
Totally would love to see the lost wax casting happen!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Bogue

« Reply #51 on: Nov 21, 2015, 01:09 AM »
Hey Bowfanny
Check out this link on the lost wax casting method, this is the tutorial I'm trying to follow.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=228161&s=de76d2164e9c40690587aab6edea466b&page=2

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #52 on: Nov 21, 2015, 01:55 AM »
Lol meant in person, I've seen a lot of those videos since I'm sort of obsessed with this stuff lol

QMU#084

Bogue

« Reply #53 on: Nov 21, 2015, 02:13 AM »
LOL! Oops! Well I'm interested to see how it works too. :-)

Bogue

« Reply #54 on: Dec 03, 2015, 08:21 PM »
Hi guys
My apologies for the lack of updates, it has been a very busy couple of weeks. I have all but one wax helmet fully invested. I will get to pour the aluminum next week. Looking forward to see how they came out.

Some of you will be happy to know I dropped the helmet off with Eternal Armory today, there will be a resin version very soon, I can't wait to post pictures of it. Eternal Armory will have the resin version for sale before too long. If anyone is interested I will keep this thread going and let you know when EA has them ready to go.

Below I'm gonna post a few pics of one of the wax helmets, it came out very clean and with only a couple of imperfections that will get filled in before it gets invested. This one will hopefully be cast out of bronze next semester.

My spiffy Mythosaur key slot is the only part that got messed up in the silicon casting process, that will be fix easily enough though.

Thanks again for looking and the comments.

Bogue

« Reply #55 on: Dec 04, 2015, 12:35 AM »
The first Resin cast! This is exciting to me!
Dimensions inside from ear to ear 9 inches wide
Front to back 10 inches and the depth is 11 inches. I'm told a 24 inch fits in it perfectly, may even fit a 26 inch head.

Bowfanny

« Reply #56 on: Dec 04, 2015, 01:55 AM »
That didn't take long lol

QMU#084

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #57 on: Dec 04, 2015, 09:07 AM »
Oooh that's purdy. How'd the Mythosaur detailing come out?

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #58 on: Dec 04, 2015, 09:37 AM »
That didn't take long lol

Yeah, really! I was like, aw! More waiting??

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Bogue

« Reply #59 on: Jan 01, 2016, 01:18 PM »
Hey guys! Sorry for the lack of updates. Between the end of the semester, then the holidays.

So first my goal for this helmet was to try the lost wax casting method. I was going to cast it in aluminum. Sadly my investment failed and the project failed I'll post a pic.

BUT I'm happy with how my mold kicked out the resin casting! It came out great. There are some imperfections to sand out. But I'm pretty happy.

Someone requested a pic of the back side I'll post a picture below.

Oryon

• Ωryon: Honourable Duelist and Deathwatch Hunter
« Reply #60 on: Jan 01, 2016, 01:29 PM »
Mount that failed cast on a wall, man! That is so cool, it looks like an old war trophy.

M.A.D. #031    M.A. #087    24er    M.A.B.E.L. #020    M.L.C.S. #19    WIP    Helmet
« Reply #61 on: Jan 01, 2016, 02:25 PM »
very nice! cant wait to try doing this myself. all in good time.

Bowfanny

« Reply #62 on: Jan 01, 2016, 06:37 PM »
Wouldn't call the list wax method a failure as much detail as you were able to get is fantastic. Depending on how the backside of that one looks I'd be willing to buy it as is off of you.

QMU#084

Sulkon88

• Mandalorian Bounty Hunter
« Reply #63 on: Jan 03, 2016, 12:33 AM »
Interested to hear when these go on sale :) Very cool looking helmet vod.

"Blast them, beat them burn them I don't care. Just get them off my ship!" - Jorean Bosch

My Scratchbuild http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=75521.15

« Reply #64 on: Jan 03, 2016, 11:54 PM »
I just got here, but i 2nd what Oryon said. That thing looks like a helmet with stories to tell.

Bogue

« Reply #65 on: Jan 04, 2016, 10:41 AM »
Thanks guys, I will see what I can do with the failed aluminum helmet. What you don't see in the picture is the back side where the investment really cracked open and I have a huge mess of aluminum. It will take some work to make a war trophy out of it. It would be worth the effort though.

Saturday Brandon Lauthern (of Eternal Armory) & I sat down and designed some ear caps for the helmet, I'm pretty happy with them. They just came off the 3D printer this morning. Brandon has to make a few adjustments to get the angle at the bottom fixed up.

Also I need a name for this helmet, I stink at coming up with names & titles. Anyone have any suggestions? I was possibly thinking The Magnar, which supposedly means strong warrior.

Bowfanny

« Reply #66 on: Jan 04, 2016, 12:56 PM »
Interesting design on the earcaps! Magnar sounds good to me!

QMU#084

Corvas Ta'niyr

• Sushir at taor be simir
  • Awards Most invasions trooped in 2017 40+ hrs of charity work recorded 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #67 on: Jan 04, 2016, 04:44 PM »
How about naming it Bob - as in Bobble-head.  Just because it silly and funny and light-hearted.

I can see it now being advertised - "And now - the newest helmet to add to the growing list of variants - we present to you - the BOB helmet!"

Oh yeah - THAT strikes terror into the hearts of evil doers everywhere...

:laugh:

Corvas

Sushir at ashi- o' at katahre bal kathtare- val mr ganar etie gehat'ik at rejorhaa'ir - Listen to others - even the dull and ignorant - They too have their story to tell.

G.O.M.O.L # 004
MiB #003
GBOT #013

Oryon

• Ωryon: Honourable Duelist and Deathwatch Hunter
« Reply #68 on: Jan 04, 2016, 05:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I will see what I can do with the failed aluminum helmet. What you don't see in the picture is the back side where the investment really cracked open and I have a huge mess of aluminum. It will take some work to make a war trophy out of it. It would be worth the effort though.

Psh, just cut 'er right in half and mount it like it's sticking out of something, like a rock. That would be cool ;D

M.A.D. #031    M.A. #087    24er    M.A.B.E.L. #020    M.L.C.S. #19    WIP    Helmet

Sulkon88

• Mandalorian Bounty Hunter
« Reply #69 on: Jan 05, 2016, 02:33 AM »
Mangnar sounds cool and compact. The sort of shielding on the cheek guards makes me think of an armored name for an armored helmet like the Sentinel or the Vanguard. Still looking forward to investing in this in the future. Working on a foam helmet myself but something about a hard solid molded kit just calls to me hehe.

"Blast them, beat them burn them I don't care. Just get them off my ship!" - Jorean Bosch

My Scratchbuild http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=75521.15

Arno Kal-Torra

• If your good at something, Never do it for free.
« Reply #70 on: Jan 05, 2016, 03:28 PM »
Are you planning on selling casts of this?! It looks AMAZING!!! Would love to get my hands on one! Absolutely gorgeous with a SWEET badasssssss design!

Bogue

« Reply #71 on: Jan 05, 2016, 07:24 PM »
Hi Alex!
Thank you for the compliments! Yes resin versions of the helmet will be for sale soon. My good friends at Eternal Armory will be selling the helmet soon. They had the mold,  but I had to borrow it from them so I can make more wax copies. I'm gonna attempt the lost wax casting method one more time this semester.

I'm excited to see what others will do with this helmet once it is being sold. :-)

My semester starts January 18th, hopefully I'll get to try the lost wax method to get an aluminum or bronze helmet shortly after.

Arno Kal-Torra

« Reply #72 on: Jan 06, 2016, 05:14 PM »
Hi Alex!
Thank you for the compliments! Yes resin versions of the helmet will be for sale soon. My good friends at Eternal Armory will be selling the helmet soon. They had the mold,  but I had to borrow it from them so I can make more wax copies. I'm gonna attempt the lost wax casting method one more time this semester.

I'm excited to see what others will do with this helmet once it is being sold. :-)

My semester starts January 18th, hopefully I'll get to try the lost wax method to get an aluminum or bronze helmet shortly after.

So I'll be able to find one from EA armory then?

Bogue

Re: Scratch build, progress Pics, thanks for looking UPDATE
« Reply #73 on: Mar 04, 2016, 03:51 PM »
Greetings Everyone!
My apologies for not updating for a while. I've been incredibly busy with college and life.

I've been attempting to do the lost wax casting process with this helmet. I finally did it! I had a successful pour! I'm in the sanding and cleaning up phase as I type this out. Took a short break my arms are getting tired. There are some spots in the helmet where the wax had air bubbles. It also has some unplanned but natural looking weathering.
Regardless I am exstatic this worked! I've had several failed attempts, and have had a lot of problems along the way.
I posted a bunch of pictures below.
The helmet is made of aluminum and it's dark heavy. Still though I'm excited!!!

Arno Kal-Torra

« Reply #74 on: Mar 04, 2016, 03:55 PM »
Ahh it's gorgeous!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!