Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP with Some Small Changes

• 301 Replies

Hanjo Solba

• Member of the Mav oya'la Clan - OM# 1724
  • Awards 40% increase or more
WIP with Some Small Changes
« on: Jan 11, 2016, 02:01 PM »
Hello All!

Well I started my kit with creating just a custom bucket with no real intention of going any further.  Once I had finished I missed the process so I decided to complete the kit.  The color scheme I did with my helm was based on death watch (mainly because I did not believe I could get the paints to match Boba's)  It turned out great as shown below.

Since I had to keep the same color scheme as above.  I used the program posted here to come up with this.

I already had the black suit so it seemed like a good idea.  I have since purchased the armor pieces and finished painting them.  I have also purchased the vest but I am currently attaching Velcro to the vest and pants.  Some sample shots below.

What I was thinking now was rather then putting the tools Boba has on his shins there, since I do not have thigh pouches, I was thinking of moving them to my thighs. This would leave nothing on my shins but make the kit look more full. 

I was also curious about the cargo pouches on the side on my pants.  The are slightly covered by the knee pads but are still slightly visible, is there any issue with that?  If there are, does anyone have ideas to hide them?

Let me know what you guys think.  Suggestions are welcome.

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2017, 09:35 AM by Hanjo Solba » Logged
    OM# 1724   Member of the Mav oya'la Clan      M.A.B.E.L. - #069
      Armor WIP  -    Recon Brigade WIP  -  Wife's WIP
Re: WIP with Some Small Changes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2016, 10:35 PM »
Hello, looks like you're off to a good start!

I'm still learning things myself, so I can't really comment on everything else, but, as suggestions for hiding the cargo pockets, you might be able to take them off by removing the stitches (depending on how the pockets are sewn on, you might end up with a hole, check where the stitches are and what they hold together first). Or maybe sew on some extra cloth of the same material/color over the pockets. Might be hard to make it look smooth and not too noticeable, though.

OM #1393

"Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose... against statistically long odds." - HK-47

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:01 AM »
That's not a bad idea.  I will check and see if that is possible.  I am using some Tru Spec BDU pants so i would be very surprised if it left a hole.  Thank you for the idea.

I decided to get my current armor together and take a picture.  Once I finish putting the Velcro on the vest i will post the soft parts i have so far.  Only thing i wish was that i could have done two layered weathering on the black pieces as it is on the blue parts. I could not think of a good color to use and blue would have looked weird in my opinion.  O well its clear coated now so it is what it is.  I was also thinking blue for the gauntlets to keep the theme going. 

I am currently working to finish the blaster so i figured why not include it.  Gauntlets are up next.  I am sure that's gonna be a different animal.  Will be my first time trying to finish a 3D Print. 

I am looking for something that i can attach to the gauntlet to pass as darts as well.  I am kind of at a loss on this.  I was going to hunt the boards or maybe my local hardware store to find something but if you have an idea please share a link.    It will be greatly appreciated!

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2017, 09:37 AM by Hanjo Solba » Logged

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2016, 07:02 PM »
I already had the black suit so it seemed like a good idea.  I have since purchased the armor pieces and finished painting them.  I have also purchased the vest but I am currently attaching Velcro to the vest and pants.  Some sample shots below.

I really hate to be the bearer of bad news vod but you appear to have bought your plates from a banned seller, Shubiwan/Subiwon/shubys Galactic armory. He's used a whole bunch of other names too. His plates are sub par and over price and as a result were banned by the MMCC for approval. I can tell the plates by the template of the plates (especially the cod) and the shaping of the plates (especially the cod and knees) those are the dead give away of this seller. His work is always the same and unfortunately catches unsuspecting members off guard.

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63722.0

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2016, 08:32 AM »
Darn.... well its to late to do much now.... i didn't think it was overpriced at the time, i should probably remove my good review.....  Do you know what i need to do to the cod and knees to bring them up to approval?  or is it just a straight replace to solve the issue? 

This stinks.... i even have these all molded to me already.... i was going to bend the cod inward to make it fit a little better ....  He goes by SchubysGalacticProps now .....  Well no point in crying over spilled milk, any help with this issue is greatly appreciated!

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2016, 06:18 AM »
Darn.... well its to late to do much now.... i didn't think it was overpriced at the time, i should probably remove my good review.....  Do you know what i need to do to the cod and knees to bring them up to approval?  or is it just a straight replace to solve the issue? 

This stinks.... i even have these all molded to me already.... i was going to bend the cod inward to make it fit a little better ....  He goes by SchubysGalacticProps now .....  Well no point in crying over spilled milk, any help with this issue is greatly appreciated!

I'm not sure what can be done to salvage the plates, but the app team will know what to do if there is anything. Sorry hun xx

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2016, 08:34 AM »
Well either way I will continue with the build and worry about it when I submit for approval.  I hope there is a way to save some of it since I have put a decent amount of work into it already.  Thank you for bringing this to my attention so I wasn't blindsided by it later. 

I was able to finish the Velcro on the vest yesterday.  Looks pretty funny, like a made an emoji face, but its everywhere I need.  The jet pack clips will needed to be added later but it is good for now since I purchased the jet pack recently from NME and they are notorious for taking 8 weeks plus for delivery. 

I will get the Velcro on the plates tonight and get them attached to the vest.  This will be my big step towards completing the build so I am rather excited to get it together. 

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2017, 09:38 AM by Hanjo Solba » Logged

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2016, 08:21 AM »
Well I added all the Velco to the plates but not all the plates are quite molded correct to my body yet.  Probably should have done that before painting but some time with the heat gun will get them right. 

Its a start at least, I have the girth belt but I still need to dye it and get the nylon straps for the back. 

If anyone has any tips for molding the chest pieces to match your body please let me know.  It a constant struggle of over bending and under bending and if there is an easier way I would love to know.  Thank you for all the help!

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2017, 10:39 AM by Hanjo Solba » Logged

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2016, 07:21 PM »
I have been thinking about name ideas and believe I have come up with a good one.  My fiance came up with a good idea of messing with the letters in my name to make one up.  We came up with "Hanjo Solba."  I think it sounds good so that's what I am going with as long has I don't find out anyone near be is using the same one haha

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2016, 08:51 AM »
I have been doing so more purchasing and work on my current build.  I am doing my best to have something completed for April's Con so I have been moving as much along as possible but pictures speak louder then words, so lets get into it.

Got some new gloves I will be priming shortly. 

Based on some on the other Merc members projects with these gloves, it should be a very fast and easy paint job.  I just hope i don't get to much paint in the gloves.

I was able to start the dying of the girth belt.  Did not go very well but a light brown may work.  Even though the girth belt was white and the dye was dark brown, it seemed like it did not want to stay dark.  I may have to buy another bottle of dye and try again later.... this time without a rubber glove with a hole in it....

(Please ignore my creepy basement door)

I also purchased some canvas material for the cape and tool pockets.  I noticed I purchased to much black so I decided to add a stripe to my cape.  Put it off center to match my helmet stripe.  I followed the 40" x 28" since 40" puts it right at the back of my knee. 

Lastly, I was thinking of going a different direction with my main rifle blaster.  This may look a little to futuristic but I feel like it has the bones I need to make a good rifle.   I have already begun puttying the screw holes up.  I will be sanding this alot the remove the odd pattern and logos. 

All tips and opinions are welcome!  I basically just wing everything I do from other forms I read.

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2017, 10:51 AM by Hanjo Solba » Logged

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2016, 09:41 AM »
I have a feeling I need to start posting later in the day.  Not a lot of people on in the morning but o well.

I started to paint the gloves metallic.  I noticed that due to me pulling the fabric down to paint, I had some separation from the plastic.  This may be an issue in the future but its what you get for cheap gloves....

I apologize for the out of focus picture.   

Toothpaste will come tomorrow!

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2017, 10:52 AM by Hanjo Solba » Logged

Hanjo Solba

Re: WIP with Some Small Changes (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:05 AM »
A few more updates.  I tried dyeing my girth belt.  Sadly, what you see below is "Dark Brown."  I am thinking of trying the spray paint method I have seen some other users do.  I figure its my best bet since the dye really doesn't take well.  I really like how the back looks tho. 

Ammo belt is on its way, I will throw a picture up once I have it.

(I didn't feel like putting the jump suit on so everything is sitting a little weird)

I have also been able to attach the mussel to the barrel of my blaster.  I had to use a dial rod about quarter inch wide and a half an inch long to increase the strength between the connections by drilling into each piece.  It seems to have worked well.  I am still trying to remove the cast lines and i will need to fill the slight gaps between the mussel and barrel. 

I am getting very close to finishing paint.  I am thinking of doing a silver metallic over this whole blaster and then black washing for the damage.  I am not sure what that might look like. Has anyone done this?

I welcome any opinions, tips, and help of any kind!

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2017, 08:44 AM by Hanjo Solba » Logged

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2016, 07:56 AM »
I am having some new trouble as i continued with the gloves.  It seems that while the paint dried on the plastic, it did not grab very well.  When i begin wiping the toothpaste off, i end up taking the paint off all the way to the primmer.... since i have gray in my kit i may be able to cover this up with black wash but at this point i am very discouraged.... i may just buy new gloves and do without any plate armor..... either way, the mess is in the photo below.

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2017, 10:53 AM by Hanjo Solba » Logged

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2016, 11:25 AM »
Yeah, that's the risk with the rubbery plastic, unfortunately.  If it helps, it doesn't look terrible from here, just weathered.  Maybe the plates were painted black at one point, then you painted over it blue? :P

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2016, 01:40 PM »

I am getting very close to finishing paint.  I am thinking of doing a silver metallic over this whole blaster and then black washing for the damage.  I am not sure what that might look like. Has anyone done this?

I welcome any opinions, tips, and help of any kind!

Take a look at my custom Westars WIP

Here's two different looks for my wife's set of twin Westars (made out of MDF & PVC pipe) using Rub n Buff and all manner of weathering techniques

(Weathering and painting notes start about halfway down this post with more details on  getting the blackened gunmetal look in this post)

Best of luck!

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2016, 04:03 PM »
Take a look at my custom Westars WIP

Here's two different looks for my wife's set of twin Westars (made out of MDF & PVC pipe) using Rub n Buff and all manner of weathering techniques

(Weathering and painting notes start about halfway down this post with more details on  getting the blackened gunmetal look in this post)

Best of luck!

Those do look awesome.  I have done the mix of acrylic paint and rubbing alcohol to my helmet for a black wash.  If i do what i am planning my whole gun should look like the barrel and muzzle of the first blaster shown in your photos.  Thanks for the post!  I will be doing that now for sure!

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2016, 04:06 PM »
Yeah, that's the risk with the rubbery plastic, unfortunately.  If it helps, it doesn't look terrible from here, just weathered.  Maybe the plates were painted black at one point, then you painted over it blue? :P

Ya it is what i am going to go with for now.  I did a gray primer, then metallic silver, then black then blue to try to get a good to layered weathering.  While it worked out great on the helm ... I wont be doing it again on something of this material.   Thanks for the opinion, i am glad it at least looks pass-able as is.

Syko Voss

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2016, 05:10 PM »
Layering is your friend - pile on the washes in different mixtures of blacks, browns, a touch of ochre, sienna, rub it back as you would if you were cleaning it off for real.  Let it dry off, go again with a different mixture of colours and put on in other places, let it settle, rub it back.  Do it 4 or five times - sometimes with runny paint, sometimes with thick, sometimes with really dark, sometimes light and apply in as random and assymetrical a fashion as possible, jam 'dirt' into all the little seams and then 'clean' it off.
A shot of espresso as a final wash definitely works (an Adam Savage tip - watch this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXzxEqdvuIE ) and then when it's all done, get out the Rub 'n' Buff and use it sparingly with a fingertip to pick out the highlights - that'll make the silver 'pop' and give you that final bit of contrast.
Then I've found, seal it all with a satin spray.
Post some pics - love to see how it came out.

(Oh, and hairspray in the deep cracks, sprinkle in some cinnamon - that'll look like rust/dust - rub back off the raised parts.)

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2016, 12:43 PM »
I have another new updated!

Just got my ammo belt in.  I am not handy with leather so I just purchased one.  It looks pretty awesome but I need to pull it tighter and dye the girth belt browner.  I think I'm going to take brown spray paint to it like other users have done.  Dye just doesn't take to these very well. 

My blaster only have primer on it right now.  Silver is coming on Wednesday. 

I will post updates as soon as i can.

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2017, 11:35 AM by Hanjo Solba » Logged

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2016, 04:26 PM »
Well I painted the girth belt brown.  It looks a lot better and it only stiffened up a little.  I am going to give it 24 hours before hitting it with some clear coat.  One step closer.

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2017, 11:36 AM by Hanjo Solba » Logged

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2016, 05:11 PM »
Clear coat can send some fabrics very sticky - check on one end before doing the entire thing in case yours is one of the non fabric types!

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2016, 06:48 PM »
Thanks for the heads up.  I may already be screwed since the belt started sticking to the board I was painting on.  That's why I had to hang it.... o well, I will hold my breath and hope for the best.  Either way it couldn't remain that weird light brown it was before haha

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2016, 07:42 PM »
Well, I've never had trouble with the actual colours. They do take a lot longer to dry and do harden fabric out. But only the clear coats have done damage.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2016, 12:22 PM »
Another Step done!  I painted the blaster silver and taped it off to add some gold accents.  I followed Jango's replica blasters and added some more gold to make it a little more interesting.  I will be black washing this gun after the 48 hour dry time has passed.  Hopefully i can cover some one the gold over spray ...

More updates to come!

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2017, 11:37 AM by Hanjo Solba » Logged

Syko Voss

« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2016, 01:39 PM »
Yeah, you'll have no problem there.  Black wash it, clean it off.  Then throw on another layer of either brown (burnt umber), red brown (burnt sienna), clean it back.  Do that as many times as you have time to spare and it'll look great.
(I found hairspray and a sprinkle of cinnamon gives a good bit of dust/rust in the little corners if you don't have weathering powders - spray it, sprinkle, let it dry then buff off the excess so the bits you couldn't naturally clean away don't come off and you'll have little bits of grit in there.  Likewise a bit of charcoal powder for scorch marks/carbon scoring. Seal with clearcoat - I used satin so it was shiny but not glossy)
Best of luck!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!