Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

In-CON post-mortem

• 23 Replies

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
In-CON post-mortem
« on: May 03, 2016, 05:24 PM »
I'm stealing this concept from another organization I am part of.   It is not to point fingers, hold grudges, or call people out.  It is to learn from our mistakes, improve future events, and also to point out what we liked and what went well.  So no hurt feelings here, if something was wrong and you have a suggestion to improve it, lets have it.

Things we can improve:
  • Obviously, we needed better organization on the roadtrip out.  Likely worth the extra few bucks to reserve sailings in the future.
  • We need a pre-event rules recap.
  • I figured it was a small enough event and enough of us with kits that we didn't need a schedule, but we ended up with nobody in kit for almost two hours on Saturday so we'll be having a schedule in the future.
  • Zophar needs to chill TFO and trust people.
  • Never assume that everyone knows The Plan; especially the person MAKING the plans.   Always recap.
  • Drinks and snacks on the booth table looked very sloppy and unprofessional

Things we need for future events:

• small garbage can for behind the booth
  • Funnel and hose for filling water weight buckets
  • tabelcloth for an 8' table; two would be ideal (faja66)
  • Business card and rack card display stands (Zoph)
  • "Photos by donation" sign (GardenGeek)
  • "What s Little Warriors International?" sign
  • wire rack display cubes (Zoph)
  • "Not for sale" and "Do NOt Touch" signs (GardenGeek)
  • A clan medic/repair kit with tape, safety pins, zip ties, emergency velcro dots, fishing line, etc
  • Sharpies (both black and silver) and/or pens
  • CRL binder
  • photalbum

Post or PM me any additions to either list and I'll add them.    If you want to claim one of the to-do items and take care of it, let me know that as well.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 12:54 AM by Zophar Ptay » Logged
Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
Re: In-CON post-mortem
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 08:22 PM »
Nice list Zoph! I think a black table cloth would be a great thing idea- (edit- I see you mentioned that) would definitely add to our professional look, and that means that under the table, behind the banner would be storage as well. If we put a small table or kit box under the table, it would allow us a place to put drinks etc and not have it readily visible to the casual con-goer. The problem was that we had no place but the floor for cups if they're not on the table.

I would be happy to make up any signage that would be needed- just let me know.

Definitely a schedule.
Silver sharpies for armour touch ups.
We need the table clips for the front of the table to hold the banner on.
I was thinking it would be neat to bring my dress making dummy to hold a set of armour- so that while the armour is not in use- it's still displayed.
Stealing from the 501st here- they had a print out of their CRLs in a binder. It was really neat to see all that went into their costumes, and I think we could do the same, or even pictures of some of the inspiration for our kits and some of the other members in the group.
A more obvious donation box as well is needed.

If I think of any more....

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 08:28 PM »
Yes, both black and silver sharpies ideally.  I was talking to David about making either an un-visored helmet or a jet pack with a slot cut in it to be our donation bin. 

I've been working on a Mando photo album but the art team keeps saying they are putting out an official oe so It has been low priority for me.   A printout/binder of the CRLs would be a great idea.  A dress form wearing armour is a very cool idea too.  When I get home I'll update the first post with your suggestions.

Late Crusader WIP

GardenGeek

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 09:09 PM »
I like the helmet idea!!! Even putting in a black piece of 2mm sintra instead of a visor with a slit in it would work.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 09:22 PM »
I was thinking just paint the visor on and cut the horizontal part out for a cash slot

Late Crusader WIP

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 12:40 AM »
If that's what we want to do, I've got my fiberglass bucket that's half finished that I could finish for that, or clean up the verdika bucket which is probably too small now. ;) Hahaha.

Tablecloths, yes. Banners down below, yes. CRL's yes. Schedules, yes, though I am also really proud of all our mercs for just sticking around the table and hanging out the whole time. For bigger cons, schedules are definitely a must.

Go-Pro's? It would be cool to have a few of those wander about, though if we keep distracting Faja from completing his kit, we can always just have him do the videos. :D I realize that we may be waiting a while for the books, but it would still be awesome to simply have a binder with our own stuff in it. We should all strive to carry a portfolio of pics and the like. I am sure if we tried we could put something together that shows all the stages, or all of our pics along the way for each of us. Then just find a way to make it uniform across our group so that we can put them out for people to peruse instead of touching and grabbing our buckets... Grrr.

I have no problem shelling out some cash for binders and cut vinyl of stickers and sprucing things up, as well as building a bucket stand and the like. There's so many cool things that we can do. Thankfully as my kit nears App readiness, I feel like I can start to put my energies elsewhere and help out the team with such things.

At Celebration we had a lot of Merc Swag, Zophar is that something that you can look into, or is it possible to also do some stuff of our own? And finally, I think we need to get a little charity board so that people can see what the charity is about that we're collecting donations for.

First Kit - Early Crusader - In Progress: Bondo Helmet, Page 4
Other First Kit - Modern - In Progress:
Hard Parts and Soft Parts updated 25/04/16

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 01:18 AM »
We'll have to get on merch once we have a regional and/or clan logo to make merch with ;)  The "charity board" you mention would be the "what is LWI?" sign I mentioned.   Though perhaps a whiteboard might be handy as well?  Once we start settling down a bit and the new applicants have time that was otherwise spent on their kits to spend on group stuff instead, we can start ticking some of this stuff off our list :D   If we start collecting a series of WIP pictures for each member, we can put them behind a standard border perhaps and print them out in 8x10?

Late Crusader WIP

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 01:11 PM »
 Ok my turn! I have a lot of camera equipment. 2 go pros with a lot of mounts and stuff, my Cannon rebel with many lenses etc. Ill make sure we have them for our next event. So ive done lots of trade shows with lisa and i have some solutions for storing our drinks and coffee.
http://cdnimg.webstaurantstore.com/images/products/main/20535/51972/american-metalcraft-rsb1-3-piece-square-wood-riser-set-black.jpg
We use risers sort of like these ones. I also have 2 very large black table clothsto cover them. then it make like a secrect cubbie hole you can keep your drinks in and no one sees them!
 I have several tri pods as well to mount cameras on.

GardenGeek

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 11:10 AM »
I like the WIP pictures :) definitely would show the amount of work. Maybe do a section for each build type? A lot of people were pretty interested in the different types of helmet too.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 11:31 PM »
By "build type" you mean sintra vs fiberglass? Or era of kit? Or???

Late Crusader WIP

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 01:24 AM »
By "build type" you mean sintra vs fiberglass? Or era of kit? Or???

Yes.

First Kit - Early Crusader - In Progress: Bondo Helmet, Page 4
Other First Kit - Modern - In Progress:
Hard Parts and Soft Parts updated 25/04/16

GardenGeek

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 01:32 AM »
I would say the major different kinds of kits- starting with material (sintra/metal/pep/vacuum formed)- and then on to different eras and types- modern/Jango/boba, crusader etc. And then our canon characters. Basically- how do you want to make it? Who do you want to be? How we raise money by doing what we love?

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 02:12 PM »
Cool.  So... when do you start?   :p

Late Crusader WIP

GardenGeek

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 05:12 PM »
Ha ha ha ha ha. If we had an official go ahead for the binder, I would be happy to start putting it together in all of my spare time- provided I had other people's help :)

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 06:04 PM »
Hereby approved.  Make it so, Number One.

Late Crusader WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!