Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

DragonCon 2017 hotels

• 10 Replies

Nadia

DragonCon 2017 hotels
« on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:11 PM »
Hey y'all just a quick question. Darius and I are planning on going to dragoncon this year for the first time ever (just got our tickets!) I know the website lists some hotels, however we are looking for something a little bit more budget friendly, as we will be there for 4 nights, yet close to the convention. Any locals in the area have an suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.
My WIP:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=111994.0

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: DragonCon 2017 hotels
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2017, 01:02 AM »
I linked your post in the Naast Clan section.  Hopefully one of our Naast vode will get you an answer soon.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Yutah

• Proud Wearer of a Lonewolf Helmet, blank #6
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2017, 06:46 AM »
D*Con is not for the faint of heart lol. Most of the main hotels will have sold out by now because if you're not booking a year ahead of time, you'll miss out. Much like a celebration, this con takes a lot of lead time to organize. There are a few cheaper hotels closer to the main locations, a Best Western and Days Inn, but I'm not sure they'll have rooms left.

D*Con is also different because it is not held in a convention or conference space. It's held inside the sprawling host hotels. It never stops. If you have a cheaper room that is further from the host hotels you can miss out on much of the insane night life that has made D*Con popular. Also, parking is a beast if you decide to commute in from further away and public transportation in Atlanta is lackluster and shuts down rather early. Plenty of people do it, but its not the ideal. 

However, if you're more interested in the normal daytime con activities you might be fine. But for me personally its worth the investment to be as close as possible to the action. To defray these costs, we usually throw 6 or 7 people to a room. If you are only two people, that is an understandable issue.

« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2017, 09:00 AM by Yutah » Logged

Nadia

« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2017, 09:24 AM »
Thanks, I managed to get lucky and snag one of the last rooms in a hotel about 0.4 miles from a host hotel thankfully :)

We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.
My WIP:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=111994.0

Yutah

• Proud Wearer of a Lonewolf Helmet, blank #6
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2017, 09:29 AM »
Awesome, I look forward forward to seeing you there.  8)

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2017, 02:37 PM »
Hoping I'll be able to make it this year. 

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Nia Kad Runi

• Momma Mando
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2017, 02:22 PM »
Nadia - when Con gets close, be sure to watch for mando plans, too.  We usually have folks in the parade and there's a death march, which is always fun.  My husband and I have been going to D*C for years and would be happy to let you pick our brains about tips and tricks for the Con.  Or just generally, meet up at some point and say hello.   :)

My WIP - female armor http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=topics;u=25453

My Ursa Wren build http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=128908.0

501st - Legacy Stormtrooper  
Rebel Legion & 501st - Jawa

EMTS #153
Brigade- Special Ops: Assassin

Vanos Dak'win

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Clan Growth
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2017, 09:04 PM »
I may need a room for DC17. I'm good on the floor. So if anyone needs some help with costs let me know. Pm me. And thanks

Vanos Dak'Win
Mark Smedley

NegativeEleven

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2017, 11:11 PM »
For simplicity, are we making this thread open classified for people looking to share hotel rooms?

I have a room at Aloft (a block away from the Hyatt). I'm arriving Thursday evening, leaving Monday morning. Room is paid for, $1650. I have one person committed so far, and he's a volunteer with the con, so he'll be awake early Saturday to help us get moving for the parade. Hoping for 2 more to get the price a little over $400 each. I have at least 3 big costume boxes, so I don't want to take on too many folks with lots of luggage, but I also don't want to be the only one putting on costumes in the room like I was 2 years ago.

MMCC - #1151 "El Evan" Modern Era
             - MVS #61
501st Legion
   - TB-11110 Biker Scout
   - BH-11110 RotJ Boba Fett
The Finest (G.I.Joe Costume Club)
   - Viper
   - Copperhead
   - Lamprey
   - Destro
« Reply #9 on: Apr 02, 2017, 08:12 AM »
We're hoping that the hotel we got is "close enough" so we don't miss too much.  0.4 miles isn't far, but I'm sure it's going to feel that way.  Can't wait until more information is put out about it. 

Formerly known as TheRevan1te

Udesii Baar'ur

• You only live once, why not die a hero
« Reply #10 on: Apr 20, 2017, 04:18 PM »
I usually room with my friend the last few times but they have gone dark so no hotel room yet for me. Anyone still have space for another?

ウデシー バーラー
(udeshii baaraa)

#85 Elegant Mandos
#20 Tough Mando Society
#10 Ewok Relocation Agency
#22 M.A.R.S.
#07 Mandalolita
#155 MAJIC

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!