Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Army radio

• 16 Replies
Army radio
« on: Mar 20, 2017, 10:10 PM »
Has anyone tried using a man pack radio for their mando?  I picked up a PRC-28 recently and am thinking about using it. I cat remember if they ever got any use on screen.

Here's mine:

Darth_Vemon

• Crush your enemies, see them driven before you...
Re: Army radio
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2017, 11:12 AM »
Wow, nice find.  I'm jealous. 

As far as I know, the radio was not screen used, but it's on an Alice frames, which was.

With some paint and greeblies, that would make an excellent communication pack.  But I'm not sure I could bring myself to alter it.

K'dumi haran doslanir bat vheh ures aranov.

Benjin "Farlander" Kov'nyn

Check out my fanfic:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130493.0

Cabur Akaata #49 M5SP #22 B.O.O.M. #21 Aluminati #46
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2017, 09:34 PM »
And that is the rub. I am hoping to add greeblies and pouches in a manner that's not too permanent. When it's not being used for a costume, I plan on displaying it in my man cave.

Darth_Vemon

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2017, 10:00 PM »
The Endor hard packs were actually covered in fabric.  If you went that route, you'd keep the integrity of the radio, but still be able to use it in a costume.

Check out my fanfic:

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2017, 09:21 AM »
I'm toying with the idea of covering it with fabric or sintra. I don't want to paint it. It also has raised English writing  on top by the knobs. I know I could sand it down, but I think I may just cover it with something.

Leaning toward adhesive Velcro for now. I don't think it would do much to damage the paint and patina it currently has.

Khorkhe Ori'tor

• Gent’alor
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2017 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2017, 09:56 AM »
Has anyone tried using a man pack radio for their mando?  I picked up a PRC-28 recently and am thinking about using it. I cat remember if they ever got any use on screen.

Here's mine:

Hi Vod... Your comm pack is amazing... You can used with some changes...

Regards,

Grey Brigade - OT Guard 106

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2017, 10:19 AM »
Just to keep the integrity of the piece, I'd mock up a fake one to use instead.  The original is just too cool to possibly damage. ;D

Would also be lighter, for those long troops. ;)

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2017, 10:13 AM »
Heavy is an understatement.

« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2017, 09:12 AM »
I stripped off the handset. Cord was literally shredded and it really doesn't make sense to have my guy talking into a handset. I also gutted the internals. It darn near dropped the weight in half and I don't see me every having this running again anyway.  I have a lot more neat looking parts for greeblies now too.

So then I started to lay some greeblies (antennas, old torch, buttons, bread canister, etc) on it to test the concept look. This first one would be for if I stick with the genuine harness made for this model. I'm thinking I could add a a crystal on top with some backlighting, then a large tube on one side and another added box with maybe a 3.5" digital photo frame.

Gonna try to lose the battery box at the bottom and see how it works in a bag. Also going to try some other frame/harness setups.

« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2017, 09:19 AM by Neeglik » Logged

Naritir Ka'ra

• If at first you don't succeed... reload.
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #9 on: Mar 30, 2017, 12:51 PM »
What an amazing find!!!  I know I'm going to have to start haunting thrift shops and salvation army to start coming up with some of my trophies and greeblies.

That pack is going to look amazing!

MMCC #1755 | Invasions: 10
BOMB #57 | PMS #8 | MLCS #2 | WB #13 | VABS | MA #175 | MACK #41 | MTS #108 | MARS #66 | GOMOL #28 | MirShebs #16 | Wrang #3

I'll sign autographs, after the smoke clears.
Mk01 OM 4/5/17
F: naritir T: @naritir_kara IG: naritir
Story
« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2017, 11:52 AM »
I found the right suspension system for the radio. It integrates with a GI pistol belt. The kit is 1950s era.

Here are some concepts for greeblies and pouches. Any thoughts?

Side view of last one...

Darth_Vemon

« Reply #11 on: Apr 04, 2017, 12:34 PM »
I like the first pic better.

Check out my fanfic:

« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2017, 10:13 AM »
Did my first full (mostly) dress rehearsal last night. I think the pack will do well, despite my son commenting on how it's not a jetpack. The harness works too, I may redo the buckles though to make it easier to take in and off.

Darth_Vemon

« Reply #13 on: Apr 07, 2017, 12:15 PM »
That looks awesome!

Check out my fanfic:

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Apr 07, 2017, 12:15 PM »
That looks awesome, vod!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #15 on: Apr 07, 2017, 09:46 PM »
Got a couple more greeblies that I've been fooling with (bread tube and Altoids mint can auxiliary control panel) added on. Also threw a snap link and a an old game cartridge on.

Started testing some fastex/parachute/side-release (whatever you wanna call them) buckles. I think they'll work just fine!

Here's how she sits currently...

Naritir Ka'ra

• If at first you don't succeed... reload.
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #16 on: Apr 10, 2017, 11:44 AM »
Vod... that is amazing looking. Great build!

MMCC #1755 | Invasions: 10
BOMB #57 | PMS #8 | MLCS #2 | WB #13 | VABS | MA #175 | MACK #41 | MTS #108 | MARS #66 | GOMOL #28 | MirShebs #16 | Wrang #3

I'll sign autographs, after the smoke clears.
Mk01 OM 4/5/17
F: naritir T: @naritir_kara IG: naritir
Story

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!