Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Early Crusader Planning Stages Only

• 5 Replies

Tak'ur

• Ner oyay cuyir tracyn bal tal
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
Early Crusader Planning Stages Only
« on: Mar 04, 2018, 04:34 PM »
Starting planning out my 2nd Kit with a few of my Vok'Chi vode... We all like the idea of a group of EC Mercs turning out to troop so working together to get kit bits sorted...

My plans include:
Bucket - thinking of getting one of these:

Chest/Back Armour - looking to utilise heavy leather (4-5mm) and create a pattern similar to the Dewback:

Ab Plate - I'd like to use Rams Horn Scales to make a suitable armour plate:

Gauntlets: same plan as chest with a dewback scale in a similar (not identical) style to these:

or these:

That's as far as I am so far.... talking with vode about molded shoulder armour - base plate for all of us with personalised touches - horn/bone etc...

“When you find yourself surrounded by those who don't know or care who you are, comfort yourself knowing that you are part of something far greater and more powerful than they will ever have the privilege of knowing.”

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
Re: Early Crusader Planning Stages Only
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2018, 07:14 PM »
I would suggest using a heavier weight of leather something in the 7 to 9 ounce range. It is going to have more armored feel to it.

I would also suggest that you use Sintra or some other material to make Faux bone instead of using actually bone as you still need to shape the plates to fit your bone and well bone isn't going to shape. But that look as an inspiration for your plates is totally something you can aim for :)

Tak'ur

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2018, 07:23 PM »
Thanks for the advice - just trying to convert your oz measurement to a UK standard - if I get it right then 4mm is about 10oz - which is what I've been discussing with Kris Jasra - so I'm guessing it's in the ball park....

The Rams Horn plates are 125mmx37mm but I take your point on shaping so will get a couple for using as a base template and work it with foamex & thermoplastic

Vor'e Vod

“When you find yourself surrounded by those who don't know or care who you are, comfort yourself knowing that you are part of something far greater and more powerful than they will ever have the privilege of knowing.”

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2018, 07:26 PM »
Yep that is the right weight and if Kris cleared you well then you are in capable hands :D in that regards and I think using them as a template for more shapeable material is spot on the way to handle it!

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member Mobile Engineers Brigade Member 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2018, 07:36 PM »
might even get away with baking your sintra at around 200 degrees (F) and then pressing the bone into it... have gotten some pretty gnarly interesting textures by heating up sintra and then pressing crumpled aluminum foil into it.

Tak'ur

« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2018, 02:51 AM »
might even get away with baking your sintra at around 200 degrees (F) and then pressing the bone into it...

Vor'e Vod... Will have a practice and see what results I get...

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!