Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bat Akaan’s Executioner WIP (2nd kit)

• 97 Replies

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
Re: Bat Akaan’s Executioner WIP (2nd kit)
« Reply #50 on: Jan 16, 2019, 01:52 PM »
I keep trying to come up with reasons not to buy a 3D printer for myself and I'm running out. Seriously some awesome work here, man. I'm loving the custom leatherwork most of all!

Bat Akaan

• Awards EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #51 on: Jan 16, 2019, 02:01 PM »
Novoc, thanks for the comments. for what its worth IMHO, the Prusa I3 MK3 kit is worth every penny and more. I love my Prusa and I am soooooooooooooo glad I upgraded from my old printer.

Cabur Akaata #128 | Oribru Akaata #29 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #152 | M.V.S. #69 | OM #2001 | Naast #2001 | BM #260 | OT Guard #71
Main WIP|Sniper WIP|Executioner WIP nos planto faecem venio

Bat Akaan

« Reply #52 on: Jan 22, 2019, 10:59 AM »
Update,

First, I attached the now sanded back plate to the vest and checked to see that my modification did fix the gap between my shoulders and the back plate.

Everything looks good, so I drilled and installed the Chicago screws to the back plate to provide additional support in keeping it secured to the vest.

Next, I sanded all the armor with 220 grit then I dented and scratched all the armor by rubbing it in gravel and scratching it with a file. After the scratching, I washed everything and set aside to dry.

Next, I cut out the vent holes in my helmet for the ear caps and attached the ear caps with super glue. I filled in any gaps between the helmet and ear caps with super glue and baking soda then I sanded the joints and cleaned everything up.

Next, I got a variety of grey spray paints to test to determine the colors I will be using for the armor. I sprayed the test plastic with primer then metallic silver. Once that cured, I shot the grey colors on the plastic.

Some things to consider:
There are not a lot of shades of grey (insert joke here) in spray paint. Additionally, the primer is grey already and a lot of the grey spray paint I found was primer and not paint. Yes, I could just use the primer as a paint but that only gives me one shade. Many of the grey spray paint shades I found were gloss and not flat or satin. The largest selection seemed to be in satin and while not ideal, I can work with satin. I had considered using my air brush and I still may do some touch-up work with it but for painting all the armor, spray paint is the most economical way to go.

So, this test gives me 5 colors to work with and I will develop a color scheme and get to painting in the near future.

That’s it for the update and thanks for the interest.

« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2019, 01:56 PM by Bat Akaan » Logged

Cabur Akaata #128 | Oribru Akaata #29 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #152 | M.V.S. #69 | OM #2001 | Naast #2001 | BM #260 | OT Guard #71

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #53 on: Jan 23, 2019, 11:49 AM »
This is coming along really nicely! Vest looks great, you did a great job of fixing that back plate up. Can't wait to see the paint job.

Bat Akaan

« Reply #54 on: Jan 23, 2019, 11:53 AM »
Novoc, thank you for the comments.
Here is an updated concept art with the paint scheme. Nothing in stone yet, still tossing some ideas around.

Darasuum Prudii

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #55 on: Jan 23, 2019, 09:38 PM »
Very nice looking kit!!! I wish I had a set of those ear caps for my Executioner!!! Those plates are very nice! I love the layers you have put on this kit. Its definitely shows some nice attention to detail!!! I will be following this build!!!

Bat Akaan

« Reply #56 on: Jan 24, 2019, 10:06 AM »
Darasuum, thank you for the comments and I realize it’s a bit after the fact but here are the earcaps if you should ever decide to do another helmet and want to use them.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3378050

Everything I post on my Thingiverse page is free to use, alter, print, whatever you want to do with the models.
https://www.thingiverse.com/11b30b4/designs

Update,
Finally painting! Ok so I shot a coat of primer on all the parts to be painted. The thing about primer is that it really brings out all the flaws in the armor. If I wanted to make a nice and shiny Mando, there would be a lot of sanding and filling to be done; however, who want a shiny Mando? My Mando is an executioner and he has seen a good bit of combat, so all the flaws just add to the battle damage look.

A few hours later I shot all the armor with metallic silver. I will let this paint cure for 24 hours, then I will be able to mask and start shooting the color on.

And that is it for the update. Thanks for the interest.

Darasuum Prudii

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #57 on: Jan 24, 2019, 10:14 AM »
Thanks for the files, its never too late, I have my ear caps bolted on so they can be easily removed!

Blackdugal

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ invasions in 2017 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #58 on: Jan 25, 2019, 09:34 PM »
I am loving this build and I need to get with you on the vest pattern.

Bat Akaan

« Reply #59 on: Jan 29, 2019, 12:35 AM »
Darasuum, no problem. I did notice when I attached my ear caps that John’s helmet is not completely symmetrical. One side is about 1/8” longer than the other side. I just filled and ground both sides to look symmetrical.

Blackdugal, Thank you sir. The pattern is easy enough and I am sure we will be meeting sometime soon for the hand over. Then I can get a nice colored cord, a new tag for my forum profile and a lot more stress in my life. 

Ok, Lots of painting has been done…
After the metallic silver, I shot all the armor with Stone Grey Rust-Oleum. Next I began masking and then shot all the Iron Ace brand paint.

Next, I shot the Costal Grey Rust-Oleum on the helmet.

Next, after more masking, I shot the stainless Krylon.

Next, I masked and shot the Pewter Gray Krylon.

Next, I shot all the trophy chest diamonds in a variety of colors.

Here is how the armor looks currently.

The decision to mix types and brands of paint was made because of the lack of gray shades available. This unfortunately, resulted in some orange peel on several parts. I am not concerned with the orange peel since all the armor will be sanded, weathered, and black washed. If anything, this adds to the used and battle damaged look.

Lastly, I added the knee arts and painted them.

So, now I will start to decide what symbols and decals the armor will get before weathering.

That is it for the update. As always, thank you for the comments and interest.

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #60 on: Jan 29, 2019, 12:50 AM »
Almost seems too pretty to dirty up now, but I cannot WAIT to see what this looks like covered in some grime!

« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2019, 11:58 AM by Novoc Mereel » Logged

Nico Fett

• Porg Dad/Traffic Cone
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 75 official invasions. Award for 100 official invasions. Award for 50 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #61 on: Jan 29, 2019, 01:10 AM »
Ho boy i'm finding this thread at just the right time; I'm very eager to see how beautiful those scratches on your plates are going to look once the weathering paint is done  :like:

Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness
Tra'cor Clan || MMCC #1653 || Traffic Cone Brigade #02
FB: Facebook.com/NicoTheFett | OM Invasions: 94

Darasuum Prudii

« Reply #62 on: Jan 29, 2019, 09:15 AM »
Paint is looking great! Keep up the fantastic work!

Bat Akaan

« Reply #63 on: Feb 01, 2019, 12:08 AM »
Novoc, thank you.
Nico, thank you.
Darasuum, thank you.

Ok, I spent some time and came up with my decaling scheme. As expected, there was a lot of masking to be done. I shot some of this stuff with airbrush acrylic but the acrylic had some issues sticking to the spray painted surfaces so some of this was redone with spray paint. Also, almost every decal had edges and in some cases complete letters that pulled off with the stencil. This is not an issue and will contribute to the weathering effect.

And this is how everything turned out. I am happy with everything and I will start the weathering Saturday.

And that is it for the update. Thanks for the interest.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #64 on: Feb 01, 2019, 12:34 AM »
Did you custom make the stencils for the letters? 

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Nico Fett

• Porg Dad/Traffic Cone
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 75 official invasions. Award for 100 official invasions. Award for 50 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #65 on: Feb 01, 2019, 12:52 AM »
I approve of this orange diamond

Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness
Tra'cor Clan || MMCC #1653 || Traffic Cone Brigade #02
FB: Facebook.com/NicoTheFett | OM Invasions: 94

Bat Akaan

« Reply #66 on: Feb 01, 2019, 08:28 AM »
Straka, all the letters are mandoa font, if that is what you are asking. I can’t rember exactly what everything says but one says, execute traitors, another says always loyal, and another one is the 3 canons.

Nico, I am glad you approve. I tried to make each a little different.

Blackdugal

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ invasions in 2017 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #67 on: Feb 01, 2019, 09:27 AM »
I am not letting Amy see your basement b/c then she's going to want me to get in my garage and get it cleaned up.  Everything is looking good.

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #68 on: Feb 01, 2019, 09:52 AM »
Oh, I know the letters are in Mando'a.  Was asking if you made the stencils or bought them.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Blackdugal

« Reply #69 on: Feb 01, 2019, 11:20 AM »
Knowing Bat he probably made them himself.

Jennari

• "I am the best. Always was." - Jango Fett
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #70 on: Feb 01, 2019, 02:14 PM »
Looking good, ner vod. Everything's awesome!

Bat Akaan

« Reply #71 on: Feb 03, 2019, 10:51 AM »
Straka, I have a Silhouette Cameo. This is a cutter machine used mostly for scrapbooking; however, it cuts vinyl as well as other materials. I make the stencils in a graphics program called Corel Draw then cut them out with the Silhouette. I pluck the parts that are not needed out then apply the vinyl to the object and paint over it. It has been an invaluable tool for cos-play.

Blackdugal, every man needs a man cave. Besides, you and I both know, Amy will be using all that space for costume making and you will need to make appointments to get access to the work shop. And now that the kids are getting kits, you guys can turn it into another fun family activity.

Jennari, thank you.

Ok, I sanded a ton and applied a little bit of silver paint here and there but mostly I was able to sand off the top coat and expose the metallic silver underneath. Once all the armor was sanded I mixed up some watered down black acrylic paint and applied it to everything. This wash is basically the final step in my weathering process. Now I will let everything sit for 3 days and then shoot a few coats of clear matt on everything to seal in the weathering and help protect the paint. Next, I will install all the electronics and the visor and weather the flight suit then I should be ready for application pictures. Here are the pictures of the weathered armor drying.

As always, thanks for the interest.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #72 on: Feb 03, 2019, 01:37 PM »
Thanks for the info!  :like:  :boba: :like:
I need to get back into Corel Draw, I haven't used it since college. 

Bat Akaan

« Reply #73 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:46 PM »
Straka, no problem. I think most people are using Adobe now but I cut my teeth on Corel and I tend to stick with what I know.

Ok, while the weathering is still off gassing and curing, I wanted to show some detailed pictures of the weathering.

Additionally, I shot some spray paint on the flight suit and cape to weather them.

So, Wednesday I will shoot the clear coat. Once that is cured, I will add the electronics.

Oh, and I am now the Ver'alor for Naast. Let the shenanigans begin.

That’s it for the update. Thanks for the interest.

Jennari

• "I am the best. Always was." - Jango Fett
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #74 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:25 PM »
Noice!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!