Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My 3D printed helmet didn't fit, so I'm back to square one. How's this design?

• 11 Replies

Anu Dominar

• Where there is no struggle, there is no strength.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024.
This design is largely pulled from a piece of character art I found on DeviantArt. I liked the design so much I wanted to incorporate it.

Here's the art I found.

And here is my sketch for my design:

This will be part of a legacy armor set. My primary hope is to make the face plate completely removable via a magnet system, so I can make eating, drinking and such easier. But yeah, I'm open to any and all critiques and criticisms. Thanks in advance!

Edit 1: Here's another sketch showing how the face plate will be removable.

Edit 2: I've been told the current design is a bit neo-crusadery. I'm working on editing it some to make it fit more with legacy stylings.

Edit 3: Here's some more designs, if anyone is willing to give input.

Helmet 2:

Helmet 3:

Helmet 4:

It would be easy to mix and match visors and helmets, so if you think visor 2 looks better on helmet 3, etc. let me know!

Edit 4: Helmet 2 seems to be the best option, so I've made an updated sketch here:

« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2019, 02:21 PM by Grim_Guardian » Logged
"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor."

Jaryn Solus

• Sometimes it's better to think rather than speak
  • Awards Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Love the design! Looking forward to seeing how this comes out.

Out of personal preference, I'd go with version 1 but keep the visor and bottom half of the faceplate from 2 (if that makes sense).

Are you hand building or 3D modelling?

Owner of Cabiris Workshop - Custom and Bespoke 3D printed accessories
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=155271.0

Ko'rizna Falco

• Weapons are a part of my religion
Version 2 is in my opinion the most Mando and also the one I like the best

Anu Dominar

Love the design! Looking forward to seeing how this comes out.

Out of personal preference, I'd go with version 1 but keep the visor and bottom half of the faceplate from 2 (if that makes sense).

Are you hand building or 3D modelling?

Thanks! I'm going to be teaching myself 3D modelling and using a 3D printer for manufacturing, assuming I can get my freakin' printer to be a bit more reliable.

Version 2 is in my opinion the most Mando and also the one I like the best

Thanks! :)

« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2019, 12:04 PM by Grim_Guardian » Logged
"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor."

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
#2 looks the most modern era to me. The rest look pretty firmly crusader era

What era are you looking to build for?

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

Anu Dominar

#2 looks the most modern era to me. The rest look pretty firmly crusader era

What era are you looking to build for?

I'm going for modern legacy. Trying to incorporate a removable face plate into the design. Plan to go fairly heavy armor.

Vorpal

Thanks! I'm going to be teaching myself 3D modelling and using a 3D printer for manufacturing, assuming I can get my freakin' printer to be a bit more reliable.

Been 3d printing for a while now, Cant help with the modelling, Im teaching myself that too. But if you want help getting the most out of your printer drop me a msg

ti his kov'nyn

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
I'm going for modern legacy. Trying to incorporate a removable face plate into the design. Plan to go fairly heavy armor.

Gotcha gotcha. You'll definitely want to stick to the same vein as #2 then. I'll be watching this build with interest!

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

Anu Dominar

Gotcha gotcha. You'll definitely want to stick to the same vein as #2 then. I'll be watching this build with interest!

Ok, that I can do. Here's another sketch. This is helmet 2, revision 1. The width of the frame around  the visor is inconsistent between the two perspectives, so that's something I'll have to correct later. Is this looking more acceptable?

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
You work fast! Loving the sketch

The most important modern attributes are all there in some form (brow ridge, cheeks, T, earcaps, and an overall reminiscent of classic boba shape) so I see no issue with it passing as a modern bucket. Do you have any ideas for the back? Keyslots would also help further cement it in the modern era  :like:

I see you've writted "visor frame removable". I'd advise you to also sketch what is under the visor plate as well. Removing the front entirely like in your first post initial sketches may not work, as no canon modern mandalorian helmet comes apart like that. Something like a removeable blast shield would be much more appropriate for modern and still keep the aesthetic you're going for  :like:

Anu Dominar

I see you've writted "visor frame removable". I'd advise you to also sketch what is under the visor plate as well. Removing the front entirely like in your first post initial sketches may not work, as no canon modern mandalorian helmet comes apart like that. Something like a removeable blast shield would be much more appropriate for modern and still keep the aesthetic you're going for  :like:

Well, the intent is not for the removable plate to be a part of the kit, but only to be removed when trying to eat/drink.

Though as I've been developing these designs, I'm realizing that at the end of the day the removable visor might be more trouble than it's worth.

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
Taking the bucket off entirely to eat is far easier in my opinion. And most buckets can fit a straw underneath if you really need to keep it on  :D If it's just for the purpose of eating and drinking, I wouldn't bother with over-engineering it.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!