Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

"The Mandalorian" Weapons (Rifle)

• 11 Replies
"The Mandalorian" Weapons (Rifle)
« on: Oct 13, 2019, 10:26 PM »
My costume build will be centered on the costume/design of the new show "The Mandalorian".  I had some parts 3d printed and I am beginning to assemble the components.  So far, working with limited details and some sketchy images that have been posted on the internet. Also using the image that was posted by Jon Favreau as a reference.  So, with that being said, this may not be "completely accurate"  since information is limited, but I think it is a good shot at it.

I may need some guidance here as I progress with not only the weapon builds, but the overall costume, as this concept/design seems to be "new" to the community.  I chose to move forward with this build because I really love the look of the overall costume, and secondly Pedro Pascal was officially granted a membership into the Mandalorian Mercs for his role in the show, which at least is some sort of official recognition.

« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2019, 06:09 PM by shrugz » Logged

Hiryu02

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Re: "The Mandalorian" Weapons
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2019, 10:27 AM »
Hello. If you have not already seen them, there are quite a few good quality pictures of the actual rifle and armor floating around on the internet/socials from the recent Disney D23 convention where the costumes and props were put on display to the general public. Those might be helpful to this build.

"The Cabal centurion opened up on her at point-blank, and we heard the most fearsome sound. She was laughing." - Monitor Type 2 Titan armor

"Only the armor lasts" - RC 8015, Fi Skirata
OM#2184
Re: "The Mandalorian" Weapons
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2019, 11:34 AM »
Hello. If you have not already seen them, there are quite a few good quality pictures of the actual rifle and armor floating around on the internet/socials from the recent Disney D23 convention where the costumes and props were put on display to the general public. Those might be helpful to this build.

I have a bunch that I have found by scouring the internet, and I believe that is enough to get me started.  I am starting to categorize images into folders, such as armor, rifle, pistol, etc... based on the details/information is best visible in the images. I will be as accurate a possible, and present a build that reflects as close as possible what we are seeing on screen.

Re: "The Mandalorian" Weapons (Rifle)
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2019, 05:07 PM »
I updated the title of this post to reflect that this WIP thread is dedicated to the rifle from "The Mandalorian" and I started another WIP thread for the pistol.

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2019, 06:07 PM »
I found out from another WIP progress post I had that the linked images from Facebook did not show up.  So I edited my original post to link to the images on my own server.  That should fix the issue of not being able to see the pics.

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2019, 01:39 PM »
Okay, I sort of had to reboot this build.  After watching and analyzing the first releases, as well as other photographic evidence, I find that the design I was using was off.  Way off.  So to correct that I had to take a step back and reboot.  I am now in the process of printing off a build that is more screen accurate.  Pictures coming soon.  I would have made more progress but I had to stop after the last episode and re-design the breech so that you could pop it open to load a cartridge.  I am still finalizing those modifications.

Just wanted to post an update to this build thread.

« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2019, 05:48 PM »
I didn't want to make a new thread since this is still fresh, and I am sure we will see a bunch of these. But I want to make the rifle from scratch. I can gather the reference images, anyone know a good way to determine its size or at least length? I have always been bad at comparing it to the actor's height and going off that.

Druj Jes

• Heavy Weapons,Heavy Assault,Hazardous Environment
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. EnviroOps Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2019, 05:51 PM »
I didn't want to make a new thread since this is still fresh, and I am sure we will see a bunch of these. But I want to make the rifle from scratch. I can gather the reference images, anyone know a good way to determine its size or at least length? I have always been bad at comparing it to the actor's height and going off that.

Bob at I like to make stuff on YouTube has a good video on this. 

Druj Jes - M.M.C.C. #2302 - B.O.M.B. #105 - M.V.S. #105

« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2019, 06:08 PM »
Bob at I like to make stuff on YouTube has a good video on this.

Ah yes, I forgot about this video. Thanks. Time to run to Target for that Hasbro figure!

« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2019, 10:23 PM »
Darn, I should have foreseen every store is sold out. Time to keep diving into research and googling

« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2019, 05:59 PM »
anyone know a good way to determine its size or at least length? I have always been bad at comparing it to the actor's height and going off that.

I am a member of several 3d modeling forums and the general accepted consensus so far is that the length is between 60 and 64 inches.  The actor is 71 inches tall.

« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2019, 09:51 PM »
For anyone who has made the 3d files, or has made it in general, how did you determine the width?

In general it was by viewing a lot of reference pictures.  We know how tall Pedro is, so using that as a baseline you have to estimate what the rest of the dimensions are.  I have a lot of reference pictures.  Many are on my site (many are not my own work) but you just have to look at them and estimate.  For example the best guess is that the rifle is 60-64 inches long overall.  If you are close, nobody should pick it apart. 

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!