Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Question on neck seal?

• 4 Replies
Question on neck seal?
« on: Dec 05, 2019, 09:07 AM »
Just getting started over here (still very much in the planning stages!) and am trying to figure out what I want to do for soft parts before I start working on all my armor - trying to leave the fun parts for later since I'm not looking forward to the sewing, maybe it will motivate me?
Plan so far is to use Simplicity patter 8480 with some modifications for the flak vest (too curvy for the guy patterns to work for me), plus scrubs or UA baselayers for the underneath. The neck seal is what is driving me a little nuts right now...
Question is - how do you all handle the neck seal requirement? Is there a good way to attach the neck seal so you don't end up with skin gaps? Have you all had success with attaching it to the flak vest without it looking like you have a weird huge neck? Am I totally overthinking this????  :blank:

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
Re: Question on neck seal?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2019, 12:33 PM »
You can make it, basically, a mandarin collar with a little bit of overlap to close it up.

Spork

• Vaii gar slanar, ogir gar cuyir.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2019, 12:11 PM »
I just added a post here on how I am modifying the "Zoe" vest.

« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2019, 08:04 PM »
I just added a post here on how I am modifying the "Zoe" vest.

I'm excited to see how yours turns out!
I decided to do a separate neck seal (stretchy fabric into infinity scarf thingy) because I was sick of dealing with the lining  :rolleyes:

« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2020, 10:56 AM »
Just getting started over here (still very much in the planning stages!) and am trying to figure out what I want to do for soft parts before I start working on all my armor - trying to leave the fun parts for later since I'm not looking forward to the sewing, maybe it will motivate me?
Plan so far is to use Simplicity patter 8480 with some modifications for the flak vest (too curvy for the guy patterns to work for me), plus scrubs or UA baselayers for the underneath. The neck seal is what is driving me a little nuts right now...
Question is - how do you all handle the neck seal requirement? Is there a good way to attach the neck seal so you don't end up with skin gaps? Have you all had success with attaching it to the flak vest without it looking like you have a weird huge neck? Am I totally overthinking this????  :blank:

I made mine from sport fabric & quilt batting. I made it like a dickey (those things that are basically a square of fabric with a turtleneck attached that you can wear under sweaters and similar to make it look like you've got a turtleneck on underneath for some reason). It's literally a square of fabric big enough to cover most of my shoulders, go down my back like 7", and down my front like 7". I cut a hole in the center the right size to attach the collar to - collar is just a rectangle which I folded in half over top of a rectangle of quilt batting that was the right height for the neck seal, then sewed lines down it to make it look star warsy and quilted. I then attached it to the hole in the square, added velcro down the back of it, and put elastic on the corners of the square which goes under each arm to hold it down. There's some pictures here: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=181214.0

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!