Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

DE-10 Scratch Build WIP

• 9 Replies
DE-10 Scratch Build WIP
« on: Jan 02, 2020, 06:22 PM »
It has been a few years since I’ve done any costuming, but watching The Mandalorian has gotten me itching to build something again. I’m doing another Customized DE10 design that I call the gunslinger model. Basically the prop needs to fit my holster that is designed for a .44mag so I’ve tweaked the lines a bit to fit into my gunfighters rig. This time I used a bit of old oxy/acetylene cutting torch  for the barrel, and machined an aluminum cylinder. Built it up on a wood base, greebles were found in various parts drawers around the house/shop. Also used a stick and a half of marine putty epoxy stuff and some 2 part liquid resin for filling in some gaps.

Re: DE-10 Scratch Build WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2020, 07:13 PM »
On to the GREEBS!

...and post sanding/filling/leveling paint job...

...then onto weathering. Sanded down to metal on some metal bits, dry brushed silver on the wood/epoxy/plastic bits, did a black wash, and brown wash. Sealed the deal with a clear coat.
The last step of the process I had the blaster sitting a bit too close to the space heater and cooked my greeble a bit on the left side.  Haha I guess osik happens when your using blackmarket weapons mods  :P

I’m using my old stock grips from my .357mag and I know that I’ll have to obscure or replace the grips medallion to go official, but I’ve got plenty of time for that since I’m pretty much starting my kit build over from scratch for the 3rd time. Haha

Cypher117

« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2020, 07:27 PM »
This is a fantastic. Great build and really nice paint work. I want one!!  :like:

« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2020, 07:45 PM »
This is a fantastic. Great build and really nice paint work. I want one!!  :like:

Thanks Cypher. Much appreciated, I want to model up a copy of this design (with all of the clean lines and perfect symmetry that CAD software can do) so that I can dual wield. If/when I do I’ll put the STLs up on one of the 3d print sites and link it back here for anyone who wants one. May take a while I’m pretty rusty at parametric modeling. Haven’t used it once since I (almost) got my degree. haha

Fenrir Kyramud

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2020, 12:49 AM »
Impeccable work. Looks incredible.

Cat# 1196
Iron Fang: #8
B.O.M.B.: #48.
V.O.T.S.: #43
Dog Lobster Supporter #46
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Berit Haran

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2020, 04:24 AM »
That's a gorgeous blaster ner vod!

Bel Tay'haai

• M.A. #081
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2020, 10:30 AM »
That is awesome. I hope it models up nicely. I'd love to get my hands on a copy!

« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2020, 11:33 AM »
Daw, ya’ll are too kind. Thank you.

I’ll be getting started on the modeling this weekend, I’ll update with my progress on that as it develops for anyone who is interested in following along. I’ll be making some design decisions as I go. I might even do some quick little polls along the way. So for those following along, you may have the chance to share your input.

As a quick start to the feedback portion,  I am thinking about printing the cylinder as a separate model, that way spare ammo cylinders could be printed up and carried on a belt. I’ve never seen the cylinder removed, and I am running on the assumption that this is how it would work in universe.
I guess the question is:
Is this the way that you understand the blasters power pack/ammunition/tibana gas reloads would theoretically work?
And
Is it a feature that anyone else would find useful? Even if you’d prefer a permanently attached cylinder you could glue one in place instead of using magnets, or whatever the final design uses as a fixture method.

Berit Haran

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2020, 11:15 PM »
I've always assumed that's how the power packs work on the de10, I'm going to be making myself a few cylinders for my own for brigades.

It is a useful feature to be able to get extra cylinders for that purpose, as many brigades require you to have visible reloads for your blaster pistol on your kit.

jethroskull

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2020, 01:00 AM »
Love this print and yes! replacement cartridges!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!