Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Helmet hair (and the avoidance thereof)

• 6 Replies

Jaa'lir Corvus

• pronouns: they/them/theirs
Helmet hair (and the avoidance thereof)
« on: Apr 16, 2020, 05:34 PM »
I hope this is the right place for this kind of question, it seemed most relevant.

For those who have long(ish) hair, how do you handle long hair plus helmets? I have quite fine hair and it turns into a frizzy/static/flyaway mess under a helmet. The last time I had long hair under a helmet regularly, it was a motorcycle helmet and I used a balaclava, but this seems less practical when the helmet will be coming on and off repeatedly during trooping/cons.

Any recommendations for hairstyles/products/forcefields that will keep things in place, or am I looking at resigning myself to a balaclava, arming cap, or just cutting it all off? :o

Jaa'lir Corvus - Field Medic - OM 2933 - Vok'Chi Clan (UK)
Gar shuk meh kyrayc, ne'cuy jare'la osik. (You're no good dead, don't be a stupid POS.)

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
Re: Helmet hair (and the avoidance thereof)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2020, 11:18 PM »
Most of us wear a balaclava under our buckets, if only to cover up chin skin.  For helmet hair, I typically toss a brush in my kit box to take care of that, as I range from buzz cut to short pony depending on whether I get frustrated with my hair and cut it all off.

Avior Braisa

• Bobble-Fett
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2020, 08:31 AM »
I second the balaclava. I have a pixie cut and it tends to go everywhere either way after the bucket comes off. A brush is also a good idea. I'd also potentially recommend a headband or a bandana.

Aiwha Riders Clan
OM #2296 A & B
T.P.S. #7
O.O.P.S. #67
M.A.J.I.C. #186
Q.M.U. #92 <-Hey, it rhymes!
House Nelvaan Armored Squirrel #10

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2020, 08:51 AM »
I always french braided my hair when it was long.  Never bothered with a balaclava because my helmet is long enough and my neckseal is tall enough to hide everything.

Instagram: @evaarla_kal

Jaa'lir Corvus

« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2020, 12:41 PM »
Thanks all for the help! I can't french-braid at all, so it looks like I'm going to have to find some way to make a balaclava look stylish...  :P Good call on the brush, Avior, definitely going to have to add that to my 'costuming emergency' bag.

Gar shuk meh kyrayc, ne'cuy jare'la osik. (You're no good dead, don't be a stupid POS.)

Erio J'uni

• Trust me. All you are to me is a paycheck!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions Award for 75 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Jul 24, 2021, 09:19 PM »
I wear a long, pirate style bandana with my privateer kit.  Works just fine.  Most of the women I know keep their hair in various styles of braids.

(Oof!  Sorry for the mega necropost.)

MMCC #899 | B.O.M.B. #1 - The Bomb'alor | M.A.J.I.C. #132 | K.O.M.S. #17 | B.O.O.M. #11 | The IT-Mando Society #11 | Grey Brigade #59

Jaa'lir Corvus

« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2022, 05:06 PM »
To revive a necropost that I meant to update - I found an amazing solution! I ended up braiding my hair and covering it with a hijab undercap. A Muslim friend of mine suggested it, and she was absolutely right.

Because they're designed for long wear and hot climates, they come in natural/breathable material, are comfortable, and don't slip.
You can get ones which have a silicone strip across the forehead to prevent slipping (like this one: https://m.modanisa.com/en/black-lace-up-non-slip-undercap-combed-cotton-underscarves-tuva-bone-1457023.html?ck=10engbpwerf-2). You can also get ones that cover the neck and shoulder to tuck into the top of your kute (like this: https://m.modanisa.com/en/simple-black-underscarves-ecardin-476626.html?ck=10engbpwerf-2).

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!