Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Textured paint question

• 4 Replies

Krom

Textured paint question
« on: May 09, 2020, 11:53 AM »
So, somewhere in the 50 hours of video I've watched on building weapon props, someone talked about and showed a black paint that dried with some sort of texture that made it look like it was metal instead of painted plastic. I can't find the video and wasn't thinking to copy down what the paint was.

Am I imagining this or does someone else know what I'm talking about?

Re: Textured paint question
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 11:58 AM »
Probably hammered paint.  Comes in a spray can, by Rustoleum I think.  Lots of color choices IIRC.

Kevin Brown | "Kayelbe"
TB-21398 (Lancer) Dune Sea Garrison, 501st Legion (Reserve)
Armor Concept
Helmet WIP
Weaponry
Soft Goods WIP

3ddyb

• Omax Rak
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 12:48 PM »
Probably hammered paint.  Comes in a spray can, by Rustoleum I think.  Lots of color choices IIRC.

That's the stuff, I love it because after weathering the texture really makes stuff pop

"An artist by nature,  a monster by necessity..."
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 05:06 PM »

It can be a little tricky to get the hang of.  The paint is designed to separate before it dries, giving that hammered look.  To get it to look good, you have to get enough paint on the project to let the paint do what it's designed to do without putting so much on there that it drips.  Definitely do some testing on scraps of your material.  It will save you some headache in the end.

"...go go go!  Oya!" - Ordo

Nayc vericoaan a'mhi. Nayc kar'galan, a'mhi. Nayc tor; Shi Mhi

There is no hope, but us.  There is no mercy, but us.  There is no justice;  there's just us.

PorkRoll

• try to avoid a mandon't
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 02:18 PM »
also make sure to read the recoat times - wait 1 hour before a second coat.   when i first tried the hammered spray paint i put a color coat over it too soon (1 day) and got instant crazing everywhere. now i let it sit almost a week before applying top color coat.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!