Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP Tes Vevec

• 46 Replies
WIP Tes Vevec
« on: Mar 08, 2021, 05:19 PM »
This is probably only my second post on the forums and I'm kinda nervous about a WIP thread on canon character. I usually don't reveal anything until I'm done but here it goes.

So, I commissioned someone to model her blaster based off the only references we have, which are from the comics. The blaster seems to look different in every shot I could find. We currently have a beginning to our concept based off the shot we chose.....How do you think it's coming out? Any suggestions appreciated.

Sorry, accidentally deleted the photo

« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2021, 12:29 PM by Ja'Thisla Vaeen » Logged

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Special Weapons Shock Infantry Brigade Member EnviroOps
Re: WIP Tes Vevec
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2021, 05:35 PM »
Commenting to follow. This is gonna be a fun build!

Ill let our Canon experts weigh in, but so far so good!

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Rayne

• Dralshy’a Tome (Stronger Together)
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Brigades 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2021, 11:47 AM »
With a Canon build, you’ll want to use your WIP a lot to post reference photos and your progress so we can help make sure you’re on the right track.

Your commissioned blaster looks pretty close to the image. Nice job! 

I’m excited to watch your build!

Tra'cor Clan // MMCC#1968
Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2021, 06:16 PM »
Update on the blaster. If there’s anything you think should be modified please don’t hesitate. We’re open to suggestions. The blaster is being deisgned by JakkalDesigns on Etsy.

As for the rest of the build:

My bucket and gauntlets are being printed by Bryn Cin'Prudii. 3D file for the gaunlets come from AprilStormProps.

Modifying them to add side slits for additional lights and....

lowering and angling the front down of the center top to match these refernces...

Question I do have. I'm debating to add this piping that goes into the back of her gaunlets. This is the only shot it is in but I just can't decide even though I'm leaning more towards adding them in.

Rayne

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Brigades 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2021, 02:17 PM »
For the blaster, it looks like you’re on the right track. It looks pretty good.

For gauntlets, that base without the blade/spike with the adjustments your thinking I bet would work.

With the arm/piping detail, I found a few other panels with it on it (see below). 

I haven’t been able to find a good photo of the back for reference though, so that might be an issue. I have a panel showing her side with a little of the back plate showing.

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2021, 06:10 PM »
This is the reference I have for the back plate

I'm not sure if we're looking at the same thing. I don't see the piping in the references you posted but this is what I was talking about.

I also found another reference of the backplate from the same armor, different character. I'll be going by the this reference which also shows the piping going into the backplate in the top shot. Still unclear of it's functionality though.

AND another update on the blaster. Some changes were made based off other reference shot. Overall I think she's doing a great job with it. Finding a shot of the other side is difficult. Any direction with that would great help.

Rayne

« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2021, 07:55 AM »
Good! I’m glad you found a back reference!

For the piping, I mistook the pipes/tubes you were looking at, for the yellow part on the arms. The pipes from the gauntlets to the back plate are an interesting detail.

If I see anything more on the blaster, I’ll definitely post it.

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Jennari

• "I am the best. Always was." - Jango Fett
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2021, 08:23 AM »
In case you need 'em:

(I cropped the pages so only the relevant Mando stuff was included)

« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2021, 12:38 PM »
So, here is my bucket printed by Bryn Cin'Prudii and the colored version is from the modeler Raestin Ke'varek.

My blaster is finished but not yet printed, waiting on approval  :D She also included a removable magazine. The colored version is just so you can see the different sections clearer but I actually like the way she did that. Debating on keeping that color scheme since the comics only show blurry blue colors. Thoughts??

Jennari

« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2021, 07:43 PM »
Your bucket looks amazing!!! Perfectly accurate!!  :<3: :like:

Rayne

« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2021, 07:50 AM »
Helmet looks good! Those extra slits at the top will be great for ventilation too!

Blaster is pretty cool. The removable magazine is a nice touch!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP
« Reply #11 on: Mar 31, 2021, 07:47 PM »
Thanks!! Both modelers have done such an awesome job. I'm so happy with everything so far, as little as there is at the moment.

My Blaster got approved today. So, adding that to the list to print.

« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2021, 12:27 PM »
Let's see.....My bucket, blaster, and gauntlets are on the way. So Excited!!!  :porg2:

I started making my template for my vest. Having to make something custom I just started from scratch plus I don't how to actually follow patterns to size. Figured I could possibly use the form to make my armor templates as well when I'm done with the vest but I will be adding interfacing to give some stiffness to the vest. Still need to make the shoulder flaps to hold the pauldrons and figure out exactly how I'll be putting this on so I know where to put closures. Thinking of making one full zipper on the front to hide under my armor. It was also suggested to add a hidden zipper on the side and a flap at the back of the neck. Any thoughts on that?

Body form I made from plastic wrap and packing tape

Cut out half of the front and back for symmetry

Made a sturdier but rough template out of cardstock I had laying around

Used some non-stretchy cotton fabric I also had laying around to make my pattern, adding  3/4 all the way around to allow for adjustments

I bought my scrubs over the weekend. Chose Cherokee brand from AAA uniforms, Ciel Blue being the closest I can find in the store but I'm planning to dye them to give them a more purple-bluish look and they need to be slightly darker. They're also different fabrics. So, I might go back and get the softer style (pants on the left) Those pants only had one pocket for removal woot woot!!

Kama duck cloth Fabric from Joann's (more of a brick red color in person)

My piping from Home Depot in the plumbing section. Decided to go with Stainless steel 1/4" Dia 10ft long. It's an ice maker connecter. Leaving the valves on the ends to help connect it to my backplate and debating how to connect into the gauntlets.

« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2021, 03:01 PM by Ja'Thisla Vaeen » Logged
« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2021, 12:35 PM »
Forgot to add that I'm starting to look at boots. Her references don't really show the lower half of her. So, I'm following this reference:

I have these 2 boots in mind which I'll make into Mandolorian boots with leather pieces. Following 'The Welding Geek' on youtube for his tutorial. Which one looks more fitting? Not sure of the color I'll be going with yet.
Slip-on, no zippers
inside zipper

« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2021, 03:40 PM by Ja'Thisla Vaeen » Logged
« Reply #14 on: Apr 12, 2021, 06:59 PM »
Just have to add. If you choose to use scrubs for your flight suit, pay attention to where the pockets are and how they are sewn on. I, unfortunately, chose a style that has the pocket sewn into the hemline and didn't realize it until I took my seam ripper to it before washing. It's a lot more work but I refuse to buy another pair unless they just don't fit after the wash. I was trying to remove them before the wash in hopes that the heat would close up the holes for me but I'm just dumping it in at this point.

Wish me luck!  :like:

« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2021, 07:28 PM by Ja'Thisla Vaeen » Logged

Rayne

« Reply #15 on: Apr 12, 2021, 10:06 PM »
Good luck with the flightsuit. I’m sure you’ll figure it out.

For the boots either option would be close to the reference. The Chelsea boots without the zipper have been modded many times for Din and The Armorer, also they might be more comfortable underneath plates.

For a zipper I’d say a hidden side or back would work best.  The back zipper may be easier to hide under the back plate.

Looks like your plan is coming out pretty well! Keep up the great work!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP
« Reply #16 on: Apr 29, 2021, 02:46 PM »
Okay.....

So, I went with the boots I have on hand.

and I started making my template to cover the boots by, again, using what I have on hand. Covered with Aluminum foil and then with packing tape to hold the form and mark my outlines. Most people use the white/tan duck tape but I just bought a bunch of tape rolls. I'm also following the tutorial by welding geek for the mando boots which look very similar to the reference.

This is the dark textured leather/Vinyl I've had laying around that will cover my boots. High possibility I got this at Joann's since that's where I buy most of my fabrics but I bought this a long time ago. I have no other details on the fabric except for its texture and dark brown color. These will also be weathered with a sanding pad and probably make a bit darker in some areas. Still playing around with ideas.

Welding Geek Mandolorian boot Tutorial: https://youtu.be/tcJLdX_n9nE

As for my flight suit.....

Since I wanted to go a shade darker and a bit of purple. I did a couple of Dye tests with the pockets I ripped off the pants. Strips on the left of each pair is the Pearl Grey and the time I left it in the dye. The winner was the bottom: Quick dunk and ring out with the Hyacinth and then hung to dry. I used the hottest water I could get from the sink and poured the whole bottle in a bucket I got from the $1 store.

These are the dyes I used for the test. I went with all-purpose rather than synthetic since I didn't see it necessary with the percentage of polyester in scrubs.

Moving a bit slow in this area but I'm getting the results I want which is fantastic  :like:

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2021, 02:52 PM by Ja'Thisla Vaeen » Logged

Jennari

« Reply #17 on: Apr 29, 2021, 03:00 PM »
Great job! Eager to see the rest, especially the armor.  :like:

« Reply #18 on: Apr 29, 2021, 03:02 PM »
Thanks!! I'm looking forward to getting there myself. I'm not a big fan of the soft parts and the worst has yet to come.  :laugh:

Jennari

« Reply #19 on: Apr 29, 2021, 03:31 PM »
Indeed

Rayne

« Reply #20 on: Apr 29, 2021, 03:39 PM »
Looks like you’re making great progress!

Your dye color looks pretty close to references.

Can’t wait to see how it all turns out!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP
« Reply #21 on: Jun 30, 2021, 09:13 PM »
A little bit of progress.......

Don't remember if I mentioned I finished my flight suit (picture to come next posting).

Here's an update on my boots. Just finished one boot and it's ready for paint. They'll be in all black and I used whatever I had around the house for them.
My starting templates:

What I ended up with, with some tweaks, and really hoping this looks a little more to my liking after paint. What kind of painting I'm using? Have to get back to you. Suggestions welcome!!

I got my bucket, did a test coat, not liking it. Not orange enough but I did get the vent holes done using a file kit I got at Home depot for somewhere around $9.

Drilled some holes before getting that file in for the edges.

Belt, pouches, and holster should be coming soon. Just waiting for the buckle to finish it off. These are photos from Kelpie Leatherworks on Etsy.

It's so pretty I'll barely do any weathering to them.  :-\

Rayne

« Reply #22 on: Jul 01, 2021, 08:37 AM »
Glad to hear you’re making progress!

I’ve used Angelus leather paint and have pretty good success. They have it in quite a few different colors.

Your pouches and holster turned out great!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Special Weapons Shock Infantry Brigade Member EnviroOps
« Reply #23 on: Jul 01, 2021, 10:07 AM »
Dang, those leather pouches and holster a great!

I cant wait to see how the boots turn out!

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval
« Reply #24 on: Jul 01, 2021, 06:21 PM »
Glad to hear you’re making progress!

I’ve used Angelus leather paint and have pretty good success. They have it in quite a few different colors.

Your pouches and holster turned out great!

Yes making progress slowly but surely and I will definitely take a look at Angelus. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm totally impressed with the work he's done on the leatherwork. 

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!