Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Patterns

• 4 Replies
Patterns
« on: Oct 06, 2021, 12:06 PM »
I was hoping to use a couple patterns from my native heritage on my armor. One would be on my chest armor i'd like to put the Iroquois confederacy chain with the chest diamond taking the place of the tree in the middle. I was also going to look at doing a pattern on my girth belt like the dustfan wampum belt. What are the chances this would be approvable?

https://www.google.com/search?q=iroquois+confederacy&client=ms-android-samsung-ss&prmd=ivmxn&sxsrf=AOaemvKODKWtgaBYbBT1RTl5uytclhCSXw:1633536214994&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj_38nOlLbzAhWPoXIEHRdXCUgQ_AUoAXoECAMQAQ&biw=360&bih=667&dpr=3#imgrc=K1f5bEFLzqZc1M

https://www.google.com/search?q=dust+fan+wampum+simple&client=ms-android-samsung-ss&prmd=isnxv&sxsrf=AOaemvL6-itR53vDFPlHIGBP-oDCvia14g:1633536234224&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjPrd_XlLbzAhWalXIEHX0_DEgQ_AUoAXoECAIQAQ&biw=360&bih=667&dpr=3

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
Re: Patterns
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2021, 04:40 PM »
Not very. There are rules against using blatantly “Earth” iconography or designs. This includes obvious Native American symbols and patterns.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2021, 05:37 PM »
Not very. There are rules against using blatantly “Earth” iconography or designs. This includes obvious Native American symbols and patterns.

Thanks!

Second Son

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2021, 07:41 PM »
Tramp's not wrong, but you've got nothing to lose by asking the Q&A - it would help to prepare a sample / mockup image to reference so that you aren't showing Earth symbols directly and asking them to fill in the blanks. 

Stylizing the symbols a bit to catch the essential energy without blatantly being the exact symbol might help. For example: paint your iron heart in contrast color, and arraying the squares in that contrast color on your chest plates, but omit the lines tying the squares together. That would convey the Iroquois confederacy flag's essential character without being an exact reproduction. Color swaps help too so instead of white on purple it could be orange on blue (or any two colors with sufficient contrast)
The dust fan motif, if disconnected into separate trapezoids arranged in a line - that is the basic idea but it's not really it.  Overlapping triangles in different colors is a similar design, and gives you an opportunity to layer and weather paint in interesting ways.
Those who know, will know. And those who don't, will still love your mad graphic design and dope paint job. 

I think you should go for it - I can hardly think of a more Mandalorian notion than honoring family & heritage, and remembering who you are beneath the Beskar.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Special Operations Brigade Member Medic Brigade Member Award for 75 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2021, 01:21 PM »
Second Son gave some good advice.  If you stylize it to keep the essence but warz it a touch too it would probably be okay.  Check with your local Ruus and of course you can send your design ideas to the apps team.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons [url=https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!