Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Question - Retracting Gauntlet

• 1 Replies
Question - Retracting Gauntlet
« on: Jun 21, 2022, 04:06 PM »
I have a question about:

Hey, I've built a retracting grappling gauntlet for my kit after talking with both Firaxan clan Ruus and being assured it would be allowed/not a safety concern.  It does not launch anything, it only retracts a cable when I press a button.  I've just finished it and posted a video of it retracting, and now am getting concerned posts from other Ruus.  Here is the video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Tu9YgLWRw

And the thread: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=190142.msg2321855#new

Is this a safety concern?  I can make the motor run slower or make the system a hand crank with no motor if the motor poses some kind of risk, but I honestly just don't understand how it could be a problem.  Thanks!

Venix Arden

• United by the Creed
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Question - Retracting Gauntlet
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2022, 02:42 PM »
Thank you for your question!

I took some time and looked over everything on the thread you provided and spoke with your Ruus staff and we are in agreement that this piece presents too much of a safety risk to be approvable as it currently sits. Twenty feet of nylon cord is twenty feet of a tripping, choking, or whipping hazard. Also, I see no failsafes in place for the motorized portion to ensure than *if* the motor mechanism fails, you won't have 20' of cord trailing behind you. I personally love the design and you have a great amount of skill in your building. As an official stance, the retractable gauntlet mechanism needs to be fully inoperable. I deeply appreciate your enthusiasm in this process and if you have further questions or concerns, you're welcome to message me directly or post another question in Q+A.

Happy Building!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!