Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Will a Girth Belt shrink if I put it in water?

• 2 Replies

Cando Pax

• Legacy
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Will a Girth Belt shrink if I put it in water?
« on: Jun 01, 2010, 03:39 PM »
I was given an old girth belt that is actually used, so it looks pretty dirty. My Dad says it made out of Hemp, and that if I put it in water, it will shrink, so....I'm not sure how to clean it up without shrinking or ruining it.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
Re: Will a Girth Belt shrink if I put it in water?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2010, 03:41 PM »
Most are made out of mohair. It will in fact shrink if you get it wet and don't stretch it and nail it down to a board. I've tried a few ways to color them etc and Ive found a couple light mistings of spray paint worked best.

Cando Pax

• Legacy
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Will a Girth Belt shrink if I put it in water?
« Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2010, 03:46 PM »
Most are made out of mohair. It will in fact shrink if you get it wet and don't stretch it and nail it down to a board. I've tried a few ways to color them etc and Ive found a couple light mistings of spray paint worked best.

That's what I was thinking about doing. I read on the company's site that I can spray it down with cold water, and use a small bit of Woolwash shampoo..

I don't have that kind of time. I think I'm gonna go straight to the spray paint and hopefully it'll tone down the dirt tone it has now.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!