Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My Backpacks Got Jets (PIC Intensive)

• 7 Replies

No'saj Huune

• Nomad in Killeen/Ft. Hood
My Backpacks Got Jets (PIC Intensive)
« on: Jul 17, 2010, 12:33 AM »
Its been a long time coming but now I finally have the missing pieces to start building my jet pack and I'm all giggidy giggidy goo about it!  So now its time to reveal the parts....

This is a tank from a discontinued 1986 Oreck steam cleaner.  I've had the cleaner since around 2004 and it worked decently enough, but my wife got a Kirby last year so I gutted it for parts and thought this would be great for jet pack but it was missing something....

And this is it.  Special shout out to Jaiden Turr'n Verda for putting these up in the Trading Station. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=27400.0  I was able to snag four of the long and two of the short, though all are not shown.  They're stronger than I thought they would be and take to sanding (very fine grit) very well.

Found these while driving home from work one Sunday evening, trash night.  Its from some type of track lighting fixture and my son Anakin said they looked like jet nozzles and I agree.  I've got four of them but will only be using two, the other two may end up being weapon muzzles or go on Anakins jet pack (whenever I can find a good base for him).

Now I'm kind of stuck trying to figure out what combo I should use with the syringe bottles.

Two long bottles and one short in the center or...

Two short and one long in the center?  I kinda like this one because its more eye appealing to me but I'd like some input from y'all before I commit to it coz' once they are on they aint' coming off.

As for the paint scheme I kinda wanted to do a Boba Fett type scheme...

Smithsonian Star Wars Exhibit showing both Fetts.

....with contrasting colors but then again Jango's color scheme matches his armor which could work too.  Considering I have five colors on mine thus far its a daunting choice.  I want it to look great and have it set apart, but not have it painted like I got it off of some bounty I vaped ya know?  Anyways...heres a paint mockup I put together real fast on Photoshop.

Yeah that pretty much sucks I know, but I'm really stuck on this part, thats why I haven't started the build.  Oh and the white part on the pic is the part I need to cut off.  Its purpose was to collect water that might spill from the tank.  I Photoshoped in some "wings" on the tops of the rockets as well as the purple bits for the launch tubes.  I would like it to have a "dirty" look to it and some decent battle damage so I'll be picking up some primer, two more cans of silver, and whatever I finally decide on or whatever some of you suggest.

Also you'll notice the nozzels, one is shorter than the other.  The one on the left is taken apart from the wiring harness as shown on the right.  I'd like them to stick out a bit from the pack but the wiring harness makes it look odd, more steampunkish no?  Suggestions?  I'd love to get the "ball type things" that are on Boba's pack but I can't find em on the cheap.  Saw em' on one site for like $70 and honestly if I were to spend $70 for jet pack parts I could wait till someone here (sorry I forgot your name vode) finishes their "Cheap Affordable" packs for $100 (projected price).

Anyways thats it for now.  I'll be digging through some parts bins for greeblies, have some stuff in mind but not sure yet.  Oh and I almost forgot to mention, this thing can't be taken apart as much as I would like to.  Its been pretty much sealed together and if I cut off the bottom I don't have anything on hand to seal it up again.  Would be nice to have some type of LED display on it, but again, I'm on a super budget and can't get the nifty things I'd like to put into it LoL.

As always comments, suggestions, complaints, post em as all are welcomed.

Those who wander aren't always lost.

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: My Backpacks Got Jets (PIC Intensive)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2010, 01:55 AM »
Vod, that is looking sexy. ;)

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Squirrel

• "TVCP Magnificent 7"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2010, 02:26 AM »
Me personally, I'd put a long one in the center, and none on the outsides. It has such a cool look as is. The nozzles off the sides, some tubing, fins, and greeblies, and you'll be good to go! But that's just me.

"And what have we learned?"]
Sorry I'm not around much anymore, life is very busy for me at the moment. . .
M.A.J.I.C. #103
A new WIP will be posted eventually. . .

Sentinel

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2010, 03:04 AM »
Glad to see this finally. I remember when you showed me that tank because I have a similar one. I'll have to get to work on mine. When you get ready to mount it on the back plate post some attachment pics.
Thanks
GJ

No'saj Huune

« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2010, 10:09 AM »
Glad to see this finally. I remember when you showed me that tank because I have a similar one. I'll have to get to work on mine. When you get ready to mount it on the back plate post some attachment pics.
Thanks
GJ

I was wondering if you had ever found a tank  ???  I'm fairly sure I'll be attaching it with snaps to a half backplate and possibly my kidney plate as well.

No update yet, work schedule has been a pain but I'm off tomorrow so I should at least be able to cut off that water retainer, clean, and sand the tank.  I may even have a can primer somewhere in the garage so I can start that as well.  And I have to do a test on something I thought of last night, not sure if it'll work though.

No'saj Huune

« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2010, 12:20 AM »
Got some work done on it today, but for the life of me I can't find the camera  :o   I think my 2yr old took off with it to his room so I need to search...

No'saj Huune

« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2010, 11:25 AM »
Small update:

The pack is primed and the first layer of paint is on it but I ran out of paint right in the middle of it DOH!  So just gotta wait wait till payday to finish that up and get this thing moving.  I'll post some pics later today though.

No'saj Huune

« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2010, 12:13 AM »
Saw another thread with the same name and forgot I hadn't updated this in a minute.  The pack hasn't been forgotten, just put on the back burner for a bit as I've finally been able to fit a back plate onto my vest (thanks to triple digit temps and hard work).  Once I get the backplate attatched to my kit properly then I can get the pack going again so it'll be able to connect to the back plate.

Gotta love upgrades!  ;D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!