Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Skarms first Buy'ce

• 14 Replies

Skarm

• Drex Cronin
Skarms first Buy'ce
« on: Mar 09, 2013, 12:57 AM »

So Here it is! My first Buy'ce. a Tom Vader Buzzerker Helmet.

Didnt get a lot done today bu started work and the first step is always the hardest part.

Got the head hole trimmer down form this...

Too this!

If you have seen any of my other posts you know I am concerned about some spots on my helmet that look extra thin. Here are some shots of the mentiond places.

I know they aren't great pictures but that's the amount of light that gets threw those areas. Do you think I will have to Fiberglass them?

Also here is a sizing picture. I think it looks about right.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome. Next step is to bondo this seam

and sand it down.

BLUERAM

• Awards 300 Troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 250 Troops 15+ clan level invasions
Re: Skarms first Buy'ce
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2013, 01:13 AM »
Looks like the same maker as Voxyn's bucket, I had him fiberglass a strip around the thin spot and the ear caps.  I donvt know if it is really needed as I think the resin is way stronger than it looks.  I took a piece of scrap from the visor area and beat the crap out of it with a hammer to get it to break, first 5 hits had no visible signs of damage.  I expected the piece to shater first hit but it never did kinda smashed apart finally.

Cyare Kebii'tra

• Wild_Muppen
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2013, 01:18 AM »
I'd say sand the seam down first and then use bondo if necessary. You may not need bondo at all for that. As for the thin area, fiberglass it with some cloth or mat to be safe.

Skarm

• Drex Cronin
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2013, 02:09 AM »
I'd say sand the seam down first and then use bondo if necessary. You may not need bondo at all for that. As for the thin area, fiberglass it with some cloth or mat to be safe.

Ill try sanding it down first before bondoing it then. There are a few nicks and scratches on the helmet but i think that some of them will just add to to weathering look.

Am Vindam

• Cat # 0761
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2013, 02:44 AM »
Cyare has it on point; Get home and sand the seam down with that paper you purchased. BlueRam knows what he's talkin about. If anything, Mav didn't go to drill this weekend, message him on FB and get up with him for his opinion.

Tonite was fun, let's keep the progress rollin'.

Vagabond Nexu

Elegant Mando's Tea Society #055
B.E.A.R.D.S. #066
R.A.M. #010
Nerf-Herder #004

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2013, 11:12 AM »
Yup sand that seam first ;) you may not need to bondo it ;)

as for the thin spots  ??? really its up to you. if you are concerned than glass them a bit ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2013, 12:24 AM »
Hit that seam with 150 grit sandpaper, then polish it smooth with 200 grit.  Smoother than a baby's bottom, it'll be.  Also, go ahead and fill the thin spots over with Bondo, then clean it up with 200 grit.  Give it a few hours to set- fresh Bondo is far softer than resin, and won't sand right.

Skarm

• Drex Cronin
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2013, 03:34 AM »
Started sanding that seam today no pictures as of yet but really there isn't much to show been looking around for antennas for this buy'ce but havnt come u with anything yet.

Anyone know a good source for antenna and how the hell id attack it to this?

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2013, 11:33 AM »
for antenna's i use ebay ;) as for attaching them i use a epoxy resin ;) but i have just made one of mine removable using an audio screw connector ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

BLUERAM

• Awards 300 Troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 250 Troops 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2013, 01:51 PM »
Depends on what you get, magnets, bolts, adhesive.  Makes a difference if it will be movable or static.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2013, 02:30 PM »
Started sanding that seam today no pictures as of yet but really there isn't much to show been looking around for antennas for this buy'ce but havnt come u with anything yet.

Anyone know a good source for antenna and how the hell id attack it to this?
Mine's a bit thicker than your average stalk (1/8" by 3/4" aluminum bar stock trimmed down to about 10 inches in length), and I used a Saz range finder.  I drilled a hole through the side of the bucket and the stalk, dropped a bolt through them, screwed a nut on via the inside, cut down the bolt, then attached the earcap with Bondo, allotting enough space to allow the range finder to swing down.  Tragically, I didn't take WIP pics (I never really do- too busy actually working to take pretty pictures of the nasty bits).

Skarm

• Drex Cronin
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2013, 06:40 PM »
Got the mold seam sanded down with 80 gret sandpaper. its almost like it was never there in the first place. going to have to give the whole bucket a once over with 200 grit i do believe. cleaning up some of the areas like the rim is going to be maticluas but no one ever said this was gonna be easy.  :P

The more i work with this bucket the more dings and imperfections i find on it. As weathered as ive seen some of there helmets does the whole thing have to be spot on smooth? I'm posting this from work so i dont have pictures so show what I'm talking about. I'll try to get a couple up tomorrow.

BLUERAM

« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2013, 07:36 PM »
  The only time I would take the trouble to be supper smooth is if I was going to use something like rub'n buff as a final finish.  Most dings, dents, scratches just add character.  Trooping is not easy on your gear either, so might as well accept some of those imperfections as you will reacquire them from use anyway.

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2013, 07:40 PM »
If your still looking for a RF and stalk I would suggest Asoka, his work is top shelf in my opinion.

Good luck

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

M.A. #089 - The first step is admitting it

Skarm

• Drex Cronin
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2013, 10:38 PM »
If your still looking for a RF and stalk I would suggest Asoka, his work is top shelf in my opinion.

Good luck

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!