Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

why no force-sensative mandos?

• 72 Replies

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: why no force-sensative mandos?
« Reply #50 on: Aug 04, 2011, 10:30 AM »
Spanner would use one.... but only to light his cigar.

"what in the samhell is a Puma?"

Dar'manda

• "I go in first so you dont have to"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #51 on: Aug 04, 2011, 11:33 AM »
I love all the "reasons" why you frown or dislike force-sensative mando and that was the real question i asked to begin with, not can i have a lightsaber or can i  write fan fiction (even tho i do, some what ok) but i get the over all reason why.  for me to start on a project like this, like building a custom character, at least for me i need to know why this person has what he has on him, what does he do, what is he skilled in. so i tend to make a backstory without trying just by helping myself progress with the overall idea of the costume.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #52 on: Aug 04, 2011, 12:51 PM »
i certainly understand what your coming from, but honestly build your armour first, make sure you meet the CRLs. you can always add all your character extras to it after.

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #53 on: Aug 04, 2011, 01:04 PM »
I love all the "reasons" why you frown or dislike force-sensative mando and that was the real question i asked to begin with, not can i have a lightsaber or can i  write fan fiction (even tho i do, some what ok) but i get the over all reason why.  for me to start on a project like this, like building a custom character, at least for me i need to know why this person has what he has on him, what does he do, what is he skilled in. so i tend to make a backstory without trying just by helping myself progress with the overall idea of the costume.

can you carry a functional, bladed lightsaber with your mando costume? no
can you carry a non-bladed trophy saber or destroyed saber with your mando costume? yes

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Dar'manda

« Reply #54 on: Aug 04, 2011, 01:23 PM »
again that is not what i was saying or asking. just what was your all point of view on force sensative mandos. that the only thing i asked. all others were statements.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #55 on: Aug 04, 2011, 01:24 PM »
If your character were Force sensitive, they wouldn't know it. Why should anyone else.

Dar'manda

« Reply #56 on: Aug 04, 2011, 01:28 PM »
well that wasnt my point i just wanted to know because i saw a few things that conflicted with the CRL saying no force sensatives, Force adepts thing like that i just wanted to know the reason. im not making a force sensative mando. i was just curious thats all.  thats what i asked to begin with and now i understand thats its the culture. thank you.

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #57 on: Aug 04, 2011, 01:30 PM »
I think the best way to finalize this is to say,,, if you want your mando to be Force sensative, have two hearts, and fourteen toes, that is entirely up to you. No one else in the club is really going to care. We spend very little time disscussing 'back stories', heck most of us havn't even created one. What will eventually happen is someone will look at your kit and say, 'wow cool suit! But, what's with the really big boots?'

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Kav'an Hatfield

• Old Man from Naast
« Reply #58 on: Aug 04, 2011, 01:41 PM »
I think the best way to finalize this is to say,,, if you want your mando to be Force sensative, have two hearts, and fourteen toes, that is entirely up to you. No one else in the club is really going to care. We spend very little time disscussing 'back stories', heck most of us havn't even created one. What will eventually happen is someone will look at your kit and say, 'wow cool suit! But, what's with the really big boots?'

And pilot a Deathstar all by youself....

Owner of Last Minute Gimmicks. Maker of Latex Masks.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #59 on: Aug 04, 2011, 02:05 PM »

That and " He dot a bid light shtick "  ;D

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #60 on: Aug 04, 2011, 10:18 PM »
What the hell kind of weenie Merc is "sensitive", anyways?  ;D

Rob

Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."

Cando Pax

• Legacy
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #61 on: Aug 04, 2011, 10:50 PM »
I can't believe this conversation has gone on for five pages. I think the point has been made, folks....several times.

Kav'an Hatfield

• Old Man from Naast
« Reply #62 on: Aug 05, 2011, 09:07 AM »
You should know people won't stop replying until someone locks it. 

Owner of Last Minute Gimmicks. Maker of Latex Masks.

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #63 on: Aug 05, 2011, 06:13 PM »
Sorry, lost my key!

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #64 on: Aug 05, 2011, 06:45 PM »
Why so sensative Cando ?  :D

Krayd Kaflar

• Formerly 'Rock'
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #65 on: Aug 05, 2011, 11:38 PM »
me and my brother's kits have lightsabers We just put them to different uses. XD

Merc #0464
Bearded Mando 010
TASK Force 004
Kilted Mando 16
Buffet Brigade 21

Huginn Senaar

• Get better, one day at a time!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #66 on: Aug 09, 2011, 02:03 PM »
I realize this topic has been pretty much killed but I thought I'd add my two creds since I actually do dress up as barden. The simple answer I'll give about trooping with a saber (I did at pcc cuz I am a fanboy :-P ) well simply put it's not that great at all lol. People thought I was boba fett who killed a, jedi! Not to mention alot of the fellow mercs didn't even get my character lol. Point is I think the only way I'll troop with a saber again is for photo ops or for specific people who I know would get it. Plus as another point of observation, I've done a little bit of training in korean/japanese swordsmanship and I can say that a lightsaber with that kind of armor just doesn't seem like it would work well because you couldn't set up for many good swings.
I realize that there will always be people that'll want the saber with the kit and I say have at it! Just make sure you do it right and at leasthave an appreciation for the character (that's allowed to have one). in the end it might be more rewarding making a saber jockey costume separate though.

« Reply #67 on: Sep 13, 2015, 09:44 PM »
ok so like the title says i waqs wondering why a mando can not be force-sensative. there are a few cases in books and other material that shows mandos have force powers. i.e. Legacy of the force where jaina is training with boba to take on her brother and there is a jedi healer who after order 66 left and became a mando. Now im not trying to start any fight was a bit confused and counldnt find the reason on the forum so was hoping id get my answer here.   
  Thank you

well, as far as a lightsaber weilding Mando, I think its possible.... with some extreme mods to it.
let me explain. Im a martial artist whos decent with all weapons, but the sword is my preferred weapon.
interestingly, although the Jedi-Arts are based around sword fighting, they always reminded me more of a short staff in how they are used. and its not just the shape of the blade or the hilt. theyre attacks seem to "bounce" off eachother. they dont "cut" in the same sense of the word. its more like a staff with 4 cutting blades. and this would fit very well with Jedi. they are like Shoalin monks.
this is how i use a lightsaber when fighting friends. and it works perfectly. lot better than trying to use it as a sword.

Personally, if Id make a Mando lightsaber, id design it to be specifically made for war. (no offense to Jedi and Sith ;) ) one though that crossed my mind was a lightsaber with a futuristic version of a katana hilt with the back of the blade being made out of a lightsaber-proof metal.

stress simplicity, not astetics. why Id want a katana. ironically, this would make it a true "light" saber. basically, look at warriors of our world for inspiration. especially the Samurai, Spartans, Norseman (Vikings) and any culture with a similar sense of honor to the Mandos.

now, thats me speaking as an artist. Im incredibly new here and dont know all the rules.
so please dont quote me. right now, I cant afford to do any of my cosplaying. :(

« Reply #68 on: Sep 13, 2015, 09:57 PM »
I already know the standards to a Jedi/Sith mando. I'm still working on my mandalorian armor and have several ideas towards it; but one thing that I'm putting into my mandos back story is that she is force sensitive but doesn't carry a lightsaber. She thinks it'll slow her down and is not the ideal way of a mandalorian warrior. But to show as such I'm going to have a yellow saber crystal somewhere on the armor and a beskad. Both symbolizing a peace of Tal's past. Mainly, the lightsaber crystal hanging from the neck and being her mother's (who was a jedi) and the beskad being her fathers. Plain and simple and no lightsabers being used. Just the saber crystal.

Overall I'm surprised that this thread lasted for five pages. I figured it would of been one and then done.

« Reply #69 on: Sep 13, 2015, 10:16 PM »
ok so like the title says i waqs wondering why a mando can not be force-sensative. there are a few cases in books and other material that shows mandos have force powers. i.e. Legacy of the force where jaina is training with boba to take on her brother and there is a jedi healer who after order 66 left and became a mando. Now im not trying to start any fight was a bit confused and counldnt find the reason on the forum so was hoping id get my answer here.   
  Thank you

oh, as far as the Force goes, I think it would depend.
the Force is based on Chi, also called Ki in Japan.
now, in our world, chi development usually gives you an edge in combat, nothing more. with the few exeptions that are hard to explain away, most of the so called "chi masters" are idiots.
so, using the actual aspect of Chi, its very possible to make a Force sensitive Mando. and in fact, using that model, they already do.
the KiAi is a perfect example. this yell gives the user power, but not in the sense of an MMORPG. just in that exhale.
its translated as "spirit yell" and is still important to martial artists.
so, how often have we heard Jango or Boba yell?

interestingly enough, "Chi" can be translated as "breath" and in every culture, the phrase for "life force" means "breath" or "air."

in Hebrew, God's name isnt actuallty Yaweh. you litteraly speak His name when you breath.

So, as far as the Force, yeah, I think its very possible for them to have the same abilitys. however, you may only see a few Force teqniqs. mainly, quik reflexes, better tactical reasoning, faster and stronger punches, just to name a few I learned.

for help in this matter....

"Ki and Inner Strength

Perhaps the most difficult topic to talk about in the martial arts is Ki (Chi or qi in Chinese). Kinot only forms the basis of Aikido and Chinese Tai Chi, but more importantly, "forms the crux of East Asian philosophies and religions." (K. Ueshiba, 1987, p. 25.) Ki is as fundamental to Eastern thought as the idea of Good and Evil is in the West. Ideas of Ki, as a refined metaphysical principle, came to Japan in the 7th Century (Locke, Olson, Seitz, and Quam, 1990) infused with Taoist and Buddhist philosophy. The idea of Ki fit in with Shinto views of nature, which implied the existence of a "life-force" permeating all substance and events.

Most martial art instructors purposely avoid too much discussion on the subject--the interpretation of Ki is usually left up to the student. Ki should not be mistaken for magic (Locke, Olson, Seiz and Quam, 1990, and McCann in Short, 1995)--it is a natural, simple concept which can be interpreted many different ways. Only a few interpretations of Ki will be introduced here, but this does not mean that these are the only interpretations.

A traditional Taoist-educated Chinese physician would probably say that chi (Ki) is a microbiomaterial which circulates through the body, maintaining life itself (Ho, 1995.). An Eastern philosopher might say that Ki is the matter-energy of which the Universe itself is made. In keeping with this line of thought, a physicist might describe Ki with the Big Bang Theory. According to Cosmologist Carl Sagan (as cited in K. Ueshiba, 1987, p. 28.), "Our bodies are made up of the dust from the stars. The same atoms that constitute the stars make up our bodies. . . . Indeed, we are the children of the stars." One can consider the dynamic energy generated during the Big-Bang as Ki or life itself. Ki can be conceptualized as both energy and matter, similar to the relationships expressed by Einstein's famous "E=MC2" and quantum theories.

At a recent Aikido seminar (Kokikai Fall Camp, 1995, Arizona State University), Kokikai Aikido founder Sensei Shuji Maruyama continually stressed that Ki should be approached as simply "a feeling." In Aikido, a feeling of correctness, good posture--a natural, relaxed yet active state(17)-- not a mysterious magical element. He demonstrated the absurdity of "magical Ki" in several ways: once by pretending to exert an invisible force through his hand to stop an attacker, and another by mimicking a person desperately worrying about an Aikido test, hoping for divine intervention through Ki power.

Unity of Ki, mind, and body is the ultimate goal of Aikido (K. Ueshiba, p. 26). Sensei Shuji Maruyama uses a physiological example of Ki-mind-body unification: the adrenaline rush that a mother uses to lift the end of a car off her fallen child. Another example can be found with yoga, where one learns how to control heartbeat and blood pressure with, according to Skidmore, much better results than conventional bio-feedback therapy (p. 142).

Some may dismiss Ki as merely a placebo effect. However, unlike any other placebo effect, which the subject generally believes to be directed from the outside, with Ki, the subject believes it to be directed from within (p. 146). Whether Ki exists as an entity or not is left up to the individual; many martial artists are content to simply view Ki as an overall "blanket concept," or a tool for conceptualization. A personal definition of Ki can only be established with experience."http://www.aikidofaq.com/essays/

« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2016, 10:57 AM »
What about the Mandalorian Knights...
"During the Mandalorian Wars, a clandestine group of Jedi Masters were among the growing legions who defied the orders of the Jedi High Council and went to battle the Mandalorians under the command of Revan. Unlike the Revanchists, however, these rogue masters began covertly sabotaging the Republic war effort under the direction of the maverick ex-council member Dorjander Kace. Having come to believe that the Republic was corrupt beyond redemption, Kace and his followers embraced the Mandalorian way of life, coming to call themselves the Mandalorian Knights."-Wookiepedia

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 11:19 AM by Ref Al'drann » Logged

Zedrin Ho'dag

• Nothing's impossible; impossible just takes longer
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2016, 11:14 AM »
Reported to Moderator to lock this thread.  There is no need to beat this dead horse anymore.

MMCC-0537 | M.A.J.I.C-047 | M.A-025 | M.A.D-004 | B.E.A.R.D.S.-028 | V.A.B.S.-004 | V.R.C.A.-069 | S.O.S.-013 | O.S.B.A.-000

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!