Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Dresdon's DF-12 Stainless Steel Jetpack build(MOAR METALSTORM)

• 77 Replies

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Dresdon's DF-12 Stainless Steel Jetpack build(see newest post)
« Reply #50 on: Apr 13, 2013, 11:55 AM »
Dude, you are such a jawa!  :P
What is that? What's it gonna do?

ROFL    :P :P :P

It's a thingamabob for his Doohjicky ... Read Back <   :rolleyes:

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #51 on: Apr 13, 2013, 02:24 PM »
Gonna make a mini vid about it tonight.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #52 on: Apr 16, 2013, 07:05 AM »
busted the comm spike light that night-repaired it and added another batt. container then filmed, but the vid is still on my dad's Iphone -.-

In other news, my mind is filled with vipers wispering 'rebuild' for a Mk.5 Dresdon Acacin.

Maybe I'll get these...
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=92
I'm at school atm so I don't know if this will fit inside my jetpack off the top of my head, but if it does then I'll be using this bigger bottle for it
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=384

This is just awesome and incredible work.
For someone who is new to these boards, i have seen and heard a lot of mention of blackwash, but your toothpaste technique I've is intriguing.
Could someone oblige and explain how to perform these two processes; materials needed, application and what not.
I have an idea of how both methods where used, but its always great to hear others explain how they did it step by step.
Learning from multiple sources is great.
Actualy, I used to use proffesional $20/bottle latex masking fluid, but then I got really poor again  :(

I swear, people insert posts between the cracks

1)silver basecoat(can be bare metal or painted silver))steel and painted both need generous clearcoat))

2)apply toothpaste to all areas to be weathered, were armour-meets-armour, between armour paltes, all raised surfaces, leading edges, random areas, 'critical' areas(blaster fire)

3)Do rest of painting on piece

4)let paint FULLY CURE(average of 3 days to gas out so it's not soft)

5)use course bristled plastic brush, plastic fork, or sandpaper to remove paitn and masking fluid(what you use to remove it can depend on the material the part is made of)

6)generously coat with black acrylic paint and let dry

7)400 grit wetsand to remove  excess black to desired effect.

8)flatt or matt clearcoat MISTED on to seal in weathering and protect paint layers a bit

« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2013, 07:34 AM by Dresdon Acacin » Logged
Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

« Reply #53 on: Apr 16, 2013, 09:03 AM »
Thanks, this is extremely helpful.  ;D

"It is the unknown that strikes the greatest fear.  The Darkness and Shadows are my strongest Blade."
 - Korhan Ondar

Lando

« Reply #54 on: Apr 17, 2013, 09:46 PM »
Great build

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2013, 10:44 AM »
I do hope you can stand up in all this  :P  :laugh: .

Nice work though ;) .

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2013, 05:43 PM »
8 hours with it all at freecomicbookday and the rotary blaster so that's 150 total.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #57 on: Oct 06, 2013, 08:42 PM »
WEARABILITY UPGRADE!

I splurged and spent an exorbant amount of cash on brass quick disconnect fittings for the hoses, then I had to go get some steel pipe fittings because I was feeling cheap due to the fittings being in 3/4"standard pipe threading and the hose being 1/2" standard pipe threading, they had a coupling in brass that changed that but it would have costed me about $25 for all four(times two)  :o and with the $ dished out for the disconect fittings I wasn't spending like $12/fitting and $6per adaptor for a total of around $100 with tax for the fittings aparatus. So heres what I did...

Parts used:(and Loctite automotive grade threadlock)

I also used the brass nipples(hahahahahaha) already attached to the jetpack that the hoses connect to, those screw into the zinc hose base on the sides of the jetpack, its technicaly a piece of controls/conduit but 1/2" conduit threading is 1/2" pipethreading.

After chopping the steel pipe fittings and shortening the threaded portion, I was left with this on the hose:

Then I realised I needed 2 sets of fittings, so I just ground off the threading on the jetpack part of the disconnect fittings and put the brass nipple in that and brazed it on with some SilFos. After that I used a 120grit sanding wheel to smooth off the SilFos and flux where I brazed, then cleaned them off with a wirebrush to clean off the burnt gasket.

Looks pretty much seamless(and again i used an exorbant amount of threadlock to make sure it stays in place)

this is the part that goes onto the jetpack

and there ya have it.

Oh and the adde 2" on the hoses is a huge improvement on mobility!

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #58 on: Oct 12, 2013, 10:46 PM »
Its rather difficult no to doublepost is no one posts inbetween my upgrades....

this upgrade is all about:
METALSTORM!!!

So basicaly, there are two spring-up METALSTORM launchers on the jetpack headboard at either shoulder. I was originaly going to abase them off like those lamps designed like the human arm withthe two bars and then the springs so it can move and pivot n stuff. Originaly it was going to be more complex, but then these ktichen cabinet snap-hinges took most of that ouut of the equation. As for the actual launchers, a couple months back I took apart a VFD drive and god two aluminum terminal blocks out of it and I inteded to use them for exactly this. Im going to add "laser sights" to them consisting of 5mm red LEDs sitting in the backs of some tubes. Might make them tonight, might make a seperate blinking chip for faster rate of blinking for armed light, idk yet.

Heres the snap-hinge and square tube aparatus, i used fancy hex machien screws and a random Tbolt I got from some surveying equiptment i took apart a couple years back. I used the spring from the lamp to keep it in the forwards position and to also make it snap down easier. It will be mounted on either side of the jetpack here:

Here is the actual launcher portion-its the aluminum terminalblock about 1.5"x1.5"x3.5"

How this attaches is there is the open area int eh termianl block. The square tube fits in that hole(loosely) so i drilled through the block to put a 1/4" bolt and a fancy grade7 nut since it looked fancy(although I don't really need a nut rated for like 2 tons on this it makes it better because I say so)

Here is what they look like assembled.

I decided to add some heatsinks onto the square tube ebcause i thought it looked kind of bare...
I also epoxied pieces of sheetmetal on to cover the gaps where one would access the lugnuts on the terminal block.

added those bolts onto the back to cover where the main IN lead would ahve gone into the 'blocks

This demonstrates how the mecahnism acts when its "unfolded" in the upwards position.

most of the device will be black, minus the heatsinks i think...althought I'll be painting it like my blaster, with the silver drybrushed weathering. So i might leave the heatsink bare aluminum...

Oryon

• Ωryon: Honourable Duelist and Deathwatch Hunter
Re: Dresdon's DF-12 Stainless Steel Jetpack build(MOAR METALSTORM)
« Reply #59 on: Oct 13, 2013, 02:13 AM »
I would be frightened if I saw a metalstorm pop up over someone's shoulder... Nice work

M.A.D. #031    M.A. #087    24er    M.A.B.E.L. #020    M.L.C.S. #19    WIP    Helmet

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #60 on: Oct 13, 2013, 09:11 AM »
Well Ty ner'vod

Their being painted black atm, is post pics but now my new laptop is kriffed, and also my old laptop that I was using a duel monitor setup with...it worked fine before then all of a sudden the monitor goes black as if the computer is off and that's that....now even my memory stick died so there goes literally everything except my dads iPhone to do stuff with....wtf is up with this ridiculous amount of foul happenings have to all happen to me within a 1month timeframe???

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #61 on: Oct 13, 2013, 10:52 AM »
That looks pretty cool buddy ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Oryon

• Ωryon: Honourable Duelist and Deathwatch Hunter
« Reply #62 on: Oct 13, 2013, 11:58 AM »
Well Ty ner'vod

Their being painted black atm, is post pics but now my new laptop is kriffed, and also my old laptop that I was using a duel monitor setup with...it worked fine before then all of a sudden the monitor goes black as if the computer is off and that's that....now even my memory stick died so there goes literally everything except my dads iPhone to do stuff with....wtf is up with this ridiculous amount of foul happenings have to all happen to me within a 1month timeframe???

Hrmmm... I can see that Technology clearly hates you... I guess that's why you're so good at making this stuff ;D

M.A.D. #031    M.A. #087    24er    M.A.B.E.L. #020    M.L.C.S. #19    WIP    Helmet

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #63 on: Oct 13, 2013, 12:48 PM »
Tel me about it...

They've got the black on them now...today I'll drybrush the weathering on if I have time..

Jay Krayt

• Practice makes progress
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #64 on: Oct 13, 2013, 12:54 PM »
What a great idea! Loving the way this looks so far. So bad sheb  8)

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #65 on: Oct 14, 2013, 05:51 PM »
Mounting underway....been winterizing Acacin Armouries so I've been doing carpentry kinda osik all weeken-which sucks because I have homework and commissions to be working on -_-

(Been doing this while drills were charging)
Black and weathered:made sure the muzzles were scorched.

Made sense;
Left: slayer>predator shoulder cannon
Right: blackened>all I could come up with

Edit: had some issues with the launchers popping bAck down so I just moved the springs over(there'll be individual, nicer springs replacing these once I pick some up, ima check around tomorrow for some.

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2013, 07:58 PM by Dresdon Acacin » Logged

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #66 on: Oct 19, 2013, 07:57 PM »
O NOEZ DOUBLE POST!!(&]~,?€*

Got the proper springs and switched them out .

Then my stupid mom was having a sh#t fit starting osik with everyone so I stayed at Acacin Armouries until the sheb holes all went to bed. But while there I installed a cooling fan to reduce the condensation of perspiration as it will affect my future electronics being added to it. Haven't done the electrical yet but I'll have 2 sets of batteries hooked up in series-parallel formation so they last twice as long without having to be changed.   The fan is a 0.19A PC boxer fan so it's fairly powerful. I have a 0.42A fan I wanted to use but it was a bit too tall for this application as there still needs to be the hydration pack and batteries, so I'll build a mini cage for it do there's still room for airflow.

Started with a 2.5" hole saw

( the green is off the sides of the Bluemol holesaw, just so you don't think it's some kinda plastic or something)

Then cut this grill out of a computer case.

And riveted it on with 3/16" pop rivets.

After that I pile out the old battery box since I'll rework that with either a custom sealed enclosure or just 9v battery holders.
(Jetpack is upside down )

klown5ive

• Do ya feel lucky? Well do ya?
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member
« Reply #67 on: Oct 19, 2013, 08:47 PM »
Shut up and take my money!!!

Northern Blue Moon
Goes Full Tassel
Force hunter number five. Coincidence? Or not?

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #68 on: Oct 19, 2013, 09:34 PM »
Vor'e ori 'vod ;D

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #69 on: Dec 22, 2013, 05:01 PM »
This just made my jetpack THAT much cooler...

Barbarossa Kad

• Keeper of the Boomstick
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #70 on: Dec 26, 2013, 05:56 AM »
Awesome idea on the shoulder guns. Just a quick question does the spring move them or are they stationary?

There is a method to my madness.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." Willy Wonka

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #71 on: Dec 26, 2013, 10:06 AM »
Their stationary for the time being, Im still looking into automation. I could use 15cm pistons but then I'd need a hydraulic system, so I'm looking for electromechanical actuators that would do the trick however they can't be digital because having a computer to decode the pulses seems like a bit much for just the one system.

Barbarossa Kad

• Keeper of the Boomstick
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #72 on: Dec 26, 2013, 11:00 AM »
Dude that's gonna be awesome.  I was just wondering because spring loaded stuff is a no go for approval.

There is a method to my madness.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." Willy Wonka

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #73 on: Dec 26, 2013, 12:17 PM »
Thats spring loaded blades mainly, I dont think this falls under that criteria because the springs keep it either in the up or down position, you need to physically move it by hand in order for them to go up.

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #74 on: Dec 27, 2013, 02:25 PM »
Can you grab a video of the launchers going up and down?

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!