Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ronin's Buy'ce WIP

• 24 Replies

Ronin Tavic

• Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
Ronin's Buy'ce WIP
« on: May 22, 2012, 04:57 PM »
So I haven't been posting while I'm working on this, but I've been taking pictures throughout it, so here we go

typical "fresh-outta-the-box" picture  :P

Glued and fiber-glassed inside, smoothing out the rough patches.
*WARNING* the Rubies 2-Piece takes work to look like a solid piece... much filing and sanding was needed to get the seam to line up...

Base coat down, and smoothed out some of the bumps and ridges.

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
Re: Ronin's Buy'ce WIP
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 10:41 PM »
Looks like it's coming along  :) just a couple o' questions.
 1. You said that you've "been taking pictures throughout". How long has that been? Just wondering what kind of time period it would be to mod this bucket.
 2. Have you thought about cutting out the slightly bulging/rounded cheeks that the rubies has and replacing it with a flater cheeks? I understand if you don't want to do that, especially since you've already primed it.

Keep it coming!  ;D

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Ronin Tavic

• Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 07:13 AM »
Honestly, the thought never even occurred to me :/ and at this point the helmet is nearly done. I'm uploading the pictures a few at a time so as not to look like spamming. Over all it probably took me about 2 weeks to do.It was, however, difficult to find time some days, so it could be done in less time I'm sure

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 03:21 PM »

Here's a good look at the top. Do you see a seam? cause I don't see one ^_^

Second coat of sliver paint

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 03:25 PM »
and the last (full) layer of paint: White.

Right Side(the earcap is left off while I paint so I can adjust the RF and keep it from drying in place)

Front, visor still not in place.. need to heat it up and bend it right.

and the Left.
PS. I did not intend to have my obsessive collection of SW figures in the background... really.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 05:02 PM »
... PS. I did not intend to have my obsessive collection of SW figures in the background... really.

Yer lyin  ;)  :P  Lol Jk

Looks good Ronin! 2 more colors and your done!

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 05:40 PM »
Yer lyin  ;)  :P  Lol Jk

Looks good Ronin! 2 more colors and your done!
Well.... maybe it was a lil intentional.. ^_^ White is actually my main color, I just have a stripe of yellow to finish it off.(pics will be up tonight or tomorrow)

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 06:23 PM »
Yeah, I was referin' to the yellow stripe and the black cheeks  :)

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 10:57 PM »
well I actually wasn't planning on doing black cheeks, I think you saw an attempt to shade on my drawing. I didn't quite get the values accurate... lol

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 01:25 AM »
Ohhh....  :blank:  :-[  .... Do you think you'd consider the black? Just thinking that it may be a little bright looking without some extra black on there besides the visor. Usually people go for a base color (for you it's white), then a secondary color (your yellow), and then a detail/accent color (usually black is good for kits that are primary white).
But, I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's your kit so do with it what you want  8)

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 05:02 PM »
Yellow stripe on! (and I just felt like trying it on)  ;D

Front

Right side, with nifty big scratches

Left side, with bite mark
Visor is drying in place, so after a few touch ups with paint it'll be done aesthetically.
 Still have some plans for the electronics, namely a camera, voice changer, and external mic to make hearing easier.

Trengence Gra'tua

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 05:52 PM »
For a two-piece mold, I really like this helmet, it looks fantastic! Great Job Vod 8)

I won't kill you, but you'll wish you were dead
M.A. #004

Jorg Mereel

• There are far worse things awaiting man than death
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 06:08 PM »
Good job!

Is that all the yellow you will have? Are the earcaps and back rim staying white? If so, where does the stripe end?

Cheers!

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 06:36 PM »
Good job!

Is that all the yellow you will have? Are the earcaps and back rim staying white? If so, where does the stripe end?

Cheers!
I'm think this will be the final color scheme for the helmet, however, Serim suggested black cheeks... which I MIGHT do, but I think I'll see how the finished kit looks first.

stripe ends at the top of the rim.

and shot of the T-visor visor(which hated me and didn't want to go in... >.< I nearly rage quit....)

Jorg Mereel

• There are far worse things awaiting man than death
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 06:49 PM »
I agree, black cheeks may work... you're referring to the "upper" cheeks, right? (I think some folks call them "mandibles", but I'm not sure.) Not the "bulging" ones Serim was talking about... I'd leave those white.

Good work all around, vod!

Gesai Primax

• Death becomes you
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 07:33 PM »
Look great! I'd leave it as is. The current look gives it a Supertrooper feel. I would hit it with an all over blackwash though to blend in the damage marks and give it a griity look. Good job!

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 07:36 PM by Gesai Boklast » Logged

pyromastermuaddib

• Dark Smokepuncher
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 10:20 PM »
Great looking bucket ner vod, I'm digging the yellow mohawk stripe, I think some black or grey on the upper cheeks could add some definition, but I'd make sure it fit with your kit as a whole first. Either way great job!

I would just like everyone to know that I suck... And that I'm a girl... And I like ribbons in my hair... And I want to kiss all the boys.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 01:42 AM »
I agree, black cheeks may work... you're referring to the "upper" cheeks, right? (I think some folks call them "mandibles", but I'm not sure.) Not the "bulging" ones Serim was talking about... I'd leave those white.

Ah yes probly should have specified that. I think the "mandables" would look good in black but if you don't want to do that atleast give the whole helmet a blackwash to add a little grime all over  :D

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 08:23 PM »
some blackwash or dry bushing or both will definitely be done, no worries. I like the look of a kit that appears to have some miles behind it.  8)

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 01:40 PM »
Looks good!  Give it a black/brown wash so that it "pops" a little more.  That way, it'll look more weathered, so your scratches stand out better.  ;D

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 09:24 PM »
So  I saw this in the store the other day...

I was thinking of either fitting it in the helmet(dependent on the size, obviously) or maybe replacing the rangefinder with it(which would require a casing of some sort.) Or just using it on a gun maybe... Has anyone else used this or something like it?

No'saj Huune

• Nomad in Killeen/Ft. Hood
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 09:37 PM »
 Tried installing one inside my bucket and on the RF.  The screen is too small when inside the bucket so all you'll see is a bight blur possibly causing a headache (which is what happened to me).  When installed on the RF you'd have to extend the stalk itself by another 6-9 inches depending on what helmet you use and in the opinion of not only myself but several other members it totally detracted from the overall look of the entire costume.

Best bet, and this is just my opinion, would be to place it on a gauntlet.

Those who wander aren't always lost.

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 10:58 PM »
   When installed on the RF you'd have to extend the stalk itself by another 6-9 inches depending on what helmet you use and in the opinion of not only myself but several other members it totally detracted from the overall look of the entire costume.

Best bet, and this is just my opinion, would be to place it on a gauntlet.
had to extend the RF? if the rf head is removed, why would the stalk need lengthening? I'm just asking cause I kinda wanted it and my gauntlet is busy disguising my ipod..

No'saj Huune

• Nomad in Killeen/Ft. Hood
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 03:02 AM »
had to extend the RF? if the rf head is removed, why would the stalk need lengthening? I'm just asking cause I kinda wanted it and my gauntlet is busy disguising my ipod..

I had to extend it in order to see it properly and not cause a mild case of vertigo.  Remember this isn't exactly military grade hardware we're talkkng about here and its made for kids.  You may be lucky and be able to view it just fine without extending the stalk.

Those who wander aren't always lost.

Saz

• Hodor'alor
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Best Blaster - Official Member with best looking Verpine Shatter Rifle Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 03:26 AM »
Stuck to a wrist, it would make a great reverse camera to see behind you.

Helmet builder and custom Maker, PM me for details or click here.

ITYS Counter now at 177.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!