Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Red's first armor WIP

• 130 Replies

Delta13

• Awards Boba and Jango
Re: Red's first armor WIP
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2015, 04:23 AM »
A little ;) But you know it can also look impresive :P Generaly it looks fine, only question is: is it comfortable to walk in?

And in case of oryginal cod pieces: This element is more flat. like here: http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/brian507im/Picture_0316.jpg
It is few mm. hihger then rest of code but it keeps it, just go uder, more beetween legs. But again  as far as you like it it is fine.

Oh, and I love the scope. Is that some kind of plubing element? Becouse when I'm in some hardware store I can stare at plubing elements and I thinck of things that can be made of that shapes :laugh:

Redness

• Surrender. Or don't. That would be more fun.
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2015, 07:11 AM »
Yea, it's pretty comfy. And it's not as "deep" as I feared so it's OK :)

And yup - the scope is from some sort of pcv pipe reduction. Gotta love hardware stores. I still need to manufacture a mount of some kind aaaand I'm not sure if my rifle's good enough. I've got an idea how to mod the barrel, just need to put my -censored- back in gear and get it done.

As for now - small update:

I've finally decided to complete my rangefinder. Added 2 LEDs on one side and green screen on the other. LEDs are non-functional.

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Gale Cabur

• Vode an
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2015, 09:43 AM »
Oh. I really like that. Where did you get the lens and the targeting computer cutout? I may need to steal that idea.

Feel free to PM me with any questions!

Redness

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2015, 10:22 AM »
Vor entye, ner Vod. The lens is actually a... piece of Sprite bottle :) The targeting cutout came along with the helmet from Merr-Sonn.

EDIT:
Guys, I'm in need of sizing opinion. How does it look:

I know the spacing isn't perfect, I just need to know if the sizing is alright ;)

Aaaand here I tried the combination of chest armour + combat belt + cod piece

The belt is supposed to have pouches, to hide the front curve.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 11:57 AM by Redness » Logged
MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2015, 11:55 AM »
That's awesome work on the RF piece.

The sizing looks good, it's a little difficult with the turtleneck sweater. I would shave a 1/4 inch off each side of the collar though.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 12:44 PM by Natan Vizsla » Logged

Vassk

• I will make it legal
  • Awards 40% increase or more Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2015, 06:54 AM »
I'd say that the gap between the chest and collar should be a little bigger, other than that it looks fine.
I'm not sure about the belt you're using though. It should be good substitute for girth belt/sash but i wouldn't use it instead of a standard belt with pouches.

Redness

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2015, 07:09 AM »
Thanks, you guys. Yea I noticed the gap after the pictures were taken, it must have slipped a bit when I started moving.
As for the belt - I have a mixed feeling as well... I suppose I'll end up with a girth belt and (probably Delta's) pouches.

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2015, 08:25 AM »
Nice work so far. I agree with the assessment to trim down the collar, it's definitely a bit wide. Move the chest pieces a closer in to the diamond, I usually use a sideways pinky finger to space the diamond, then trim the collar width so the bottom corners of the collar match the top corners of the chest plates. Then the bottom tip of the "fang" from the chest plates should flow to the outer edge of the ab plate, so there's one straight line from the collar to the ab. Otherwise, I think the sizing of the plates is probably going to be okay. It's always a bit trickier on black though, so if you have a lighter shirt you can take your next pics with, it would help.

The belt is interesting, as long as you have enough pouches to cover the tactical webbing, it will work. And the buckle is fine, I use the same ones but smaller for my leg plate straps.

Keep it up, it's looking really good so far!

NegativeEleven

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2015, 05:41 PM »
I really like the idea of attaching the rocket that way, but a word of warning, you're going to want to glue it if you do many events with kids. They will take that off and you might not notice it right away. My first set of Boba gauntlets just had the rocket held in place with velcro and kids stole that all the time, but at least with velcro, I usually heard it being taken. I ended up putting a screw through the bottom up into the rocket. There's never really a reason to remove it other than eventually upgrading, right?

MMCC - #1151 "El Evan" Modern Era
             - MVS #61
501st Legion
   - TB-11110 Biker Scout
   - BH-11110 RotJ Boba Fett
The Finest (G.I.Joe Costume Club)
   - Viper
   - Copperhead
   - Lamprey
   - Destro

Redness

« Reply #59 on: Jun 14, 2015, 04:39 AM »
Thanks for the feedback vode. Not much going on at the moment, caught up in that "real life" or whatever they call it. I did however work on my sniper rifle:

^I swear, I have no idea how to take pictures...
Details:

Rails removed, triangles sanded down and filled, magazine moved to side, some radiators added on top of main body and other greebles on the side and added new aluminum barrel. I might wrap the grip with some cloth once it's all painted, haven't decided yet.

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Delta13

• Awards Boba and Jango
« Reply #60 on: Jun 14, 2015, 07:30 AM »
It looks realy nice, solid piece of sniper rilfe :)

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #61 on: Jun 14, 2015, 09:12 AM »
A few more things to change to really take the Nerfyness out of it.  Remove the little bar that is filling out that notch just where the barrel becomes the body and wrap the grip with a thin leather instead of cloth (cloth makes it look like you're trying to hide something instead of just adding a bit of swarzyness.  Also, the trigger should be re-shaped.  Other than those few small things it looks really good and very swarzy

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Redness

« Reply #62 on: Jun 14, 2015, 09:23 AM »
thanks for the input, Delta and Jorad. Trigger is tricky to mod, as the rifle is glued shut... I could try to re-shape it with a dremel, though.
And...

EDIT:
Trigger fixed:

« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2015, 11:07 AM by Redness » Logged
MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #63 on: Jun 14, 2015, 02:29 PM »
I believe he means the bar on the bottom, below your highlighted bar. Same thing on the bar at the bottom of the buttstock, howeve if it gets wrapped then it's not a big deal. Can you bondo up the half circle and circle left in your modified trigger? It will help smooth out the back of the trigger as well. Massive upgrade from the blatant Nerf gun.

Redness

« Reply #64 on: Jun 14, 2015, 03:30 PM »
ah, stupid me... well... i need those bars to attach my sling(s), so they have to stay, that's why I didn't even take them into consideration

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Jorad Werde

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #65 on: Jun 14, 2015, 04:44 PM »
ah, stupid me... well... i need those bars to attach my sling(s), so they have to stay, that's why I didn't even take them into consideration

That is the bar I mean.  As long as they are going to be used to attach your sling then you're fine, but they are pretty distinctly nerf if they aren't used. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Redness

« Reply #66 on: Sep 24, 2015, 02:21 PM »

Back in action! Got my vest, so it's time to get back to work...

Re-did my plates. As always the back plate is a pain in the shebs... I hope I won't have to do it again... ever!

New shoulder bells - the one one the right is an emblem proposal for when we'll have a Polish stronghold/clan/place to call home

Ankle spats testing

First test fit quickie. Sorry for poor quality - both of the picture and the pose. That's what you get when you take pictures in the evening with poor lighting and when you have no idea how to pose.

aaand pose test!

Guys, you have any suggestions as to how to make one's own toe spikes? I've looked at speaker spikes but none of them seem to be long enough :s

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #67 on: Sep 25, 2015, 04:48 PM »
No worries, straight on hands at sides is what we like to see.  Makes it easier to tell if stuff fits  ;)

Vest looks like a good size, but you'll need to tailor your flightsuit's arms and legs. Almost everybody does  :(

Can we get a fit check of your new plates?

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #68 on: Sep 25, 2015, 11:38 PM »
No worries,.....Vest looks like a good size, but you'll need to tailor your flightsuit's arms and legs. Almost everybody does  :(

Unless you're me in which case you're lugging around Popeye sized forearms and massive calves. But like you said "Almost everybody" ;D

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Redness

« Reply #69 on: Oct 10, 2015, 11:44 AM »
Sorry it took me so long, Kavryn, but there ya go:

I know, I know - plates still need a bit of (re)shaping. They should stick more to the sides.
The distance between the plates is about 1 inch and I think it looks alright. Thoughts?

« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2015, 12:01 PM by Redness » Logged
MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #70 on: Oct 11, 2015, 03:06 PM »
Hmm, they look a little wide. Ideally you'll want the chest plates to roughly follow he line of your pectorals - you don't want it to hang off your sides at all. Then you just square up the other plates with the new width.

You may also wanna move the plates together a bit more vertically - they can be up to an inch apart, but I always think it looks better closer together.

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Jorad Werde

« Reply #71 on: Oct 11, 2015, 05:18 PM »
What Kavryn said

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Redness

« Reply #72 on: Oct 12, 2015, 02:29 AM »
They may look a bit wide and hangy but it's mainly because of the angle of the photo and the fact that they need a bit of bending at the sides. They don't restrict my movement at all at the moment and they keep a nice line. We'll see after reshaping. I wouldn't want to end up redoing collar piece to make it all fit.

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Redness

« Reply #73 on: Nov 18, 2015, 12:58 PM »
I'm a bit busy with this so-called "real life" at the moment but in my spare time I managed to get something done.

Scope finally got a reticle. The design is made by one and only WOF and can be found here: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=126847

Added some wiring to the body and barrel

Made macrobinoculars from Radica's Sub Assault.

And last but not least... :) made by Fettronics, using Rafalfett's sequence, for those wondering

I'm considering using window tint film to darken the display a bit though

Now that I finally have the chest display I can paint chest pieces and be somewhat closer to the end of stage 1 :)

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Redness

« Reply #74 on: Jan 23, 2016, 12:23 PM »
Chest plates are done!

Back plate is done! Still needs weathering, though

Upgraded my right gauntlet a bit as well:

There's also some new melee weapon project that I'm working on:

Blade covers sanded/angled

And some lights:

Oya!

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!