Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Making a new face. Redstar's custom designed helmet.

• 86 Replies

REDSTAR

• You are who you choose to be.
Making a new face. Redstar's custom designed helmet.
« on: Mar 18, 2015, 11:42 PM »
Hello! I'm Redstar, I have redesigned the regular Mandalorian armor and I've already started to make it! If you want to know more about me and my background in cosplay and costuming you should read my hello page!

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=89355.0

If you want to know anything else about me don't hesitate to ask! You're probably wondering to yourself "what redesigned armor? what could he have possibly done to the classic beskar'gam?" I'll show you! come take a look at what I have planned in my planning thread. My armor, helmet, guns, flight suit, and flak vest are all there......here>>

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=89490.0

But you came here to see my bucket. I've actually already started it. I even finished the papercraft model before my design was approved. Allow me to get you up to speed. I designed my own custom armor using Google sketchup, I started with the helmet and am very satisfied with the results. I'll allow my pictures to do the talking

I then turned my sketchup file into a papercraft model. 33 pages of 2 dimensional fun....

My helmet is divided into 3 parts. The blast shield, the base, and the rear panel. The blast shield will be permanently secured in place and have a pair of aesthetic straps attached to it. The rear panel with be actually held in place with straps and will be able to be removed so I can access batteries and such. I modified a side view of my helmet so as to illustrate what I had in mind. Those grey squares will be buckles..

As I mentioned before I had the paper model finished before I had my designs approved. This could have blown up in my face...

If you look closely you'll see that the tabs are on the outside and say to yourself "you dummy, that's inside out.." Yes it is. I did that on purpose. I figured out a way of making helmets where I can remove the paper. When I made my first helmet (Halo reach CQC) I used urethane resin and built it inside out thinking I could just peel the paper off after. Nope. the plastic soaked into the paper and the two became one. On my Titanfall pilot helmet I coated the inside with a layer of flex seal to prevent leaks and such. Worked exactly as planed. On my dead space engineer helmet I wanted to use flex seal but I was out. When I went to Wal-Mart I discovered they didn't have flex seal but they had Plasti-dip, figuring they were similar enough I went with the dip. I continued as usual until I was sanding. I found that whole sections of paper were peeling off the plastic just like what I wanted the first time. This was a fantastic bit of serendipity. What I've done is combine the inside out construction of my CQC helmet and the Plasti-dip from my engineer helmet, I believe this will produce a helmet that is smooth on the outside without a layer of paper.

Before I prepped my helmet for casting I decided to use wood cubes to adjust some of the angles of the helmet.

I then coated the outside of the helmet with layers of flex seal and the inside with multiple coats of Plasti-dip. I have learned that Flex seal and Plasti-dip are very different from one another and work best in different situations. Flex seal is best for sealing holes and gaps, It's very sticky and works well as an adhesive. Also, in enough layers, Is rather solid. Plasti-dip is more of a spray on release layer. Its like spray paint that you can peel off. For giggles I sprayed my forearm with it and shortly after I was able to peel it of like a layer of skin.

inside,

outside, bit lumpy, wouldn't you agree?

Lookie what came in the mail today!! >many excites<  :D

Check that off my shopping list...

Here's all the parts prepped and ready to cast. Essentially what I've done is taken my paper model and turned it into a single use disposable mold.

I have named the armor "Beskviin" Armor, or,  Iron lance

I'm so excited to get going! Any and all questions or comments are welcome. I'll cast my helmet tomorrow and get back to you when I'm done! expect regular updates from me so stay tuned folks! Goodnight my vode.

« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2015, 12:21 AM by REDSTAR » Logged

Azrael Stormlighter

• The Dark is my Sanctuary. Tread Carefully.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions
Re: Making a new face. Redstar's custom designed helmet.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2015, 12:57 AM »
Dude if you do more casting of this when you're done I would buy one and I bet more would too

-Azrael Stormlighter-
Mando Mercs  #1609
Cerar Clan #028
Kyrimorut Clan #020
M.A.- #144
MAJIC- #147

--- Ne mar'eyir yaim'la werde
"I will no longer be a slave. This armor of mine bends to no will but my own. For Honor, Glory, and Adventure!"
---"Fighting from caves?! Are you nuts?!
"I might be. I really just might be."

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2015, 01:30 AM »
I look forward to seeing more progress of this. The concept is intriguing to me, and I may need the use of it in the future when I go to make my next helmets.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2015, 03:38 PM »
Dude if you do more casting of this when you're done I would buy one and I bet more would too
I might just have to have one, myself.  Once you get the bucket done, throw it up on the Mandalorian Interest boards.  I'm pretty sure you would find a heft handful of buyers looking for a new, innovative, interesting bucket like this. :D

Fettski

• The Crab'alor
  • Awards 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 50 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2015, 03:55 PM »
The way i see is that the separate piece that goes on the forehead is meant to slide down as an extra shield?  If so, can you show a pic with the shield in place?  i would love to get a copy of this and make it motorized. 

Aliit ori'shya tal'din - "Family is more than blood.

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2015, 04:08 PM »
Il love a copy of that pep file for my collection as well!!

QMU#084

REDSTAR

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2015, 11:27 PM »
Hey everyone! update 1. I would like to report a successful failure. I spent a few hours yesterday casting my helmet until it was sturdy and solid. After I cleaned up I started trying to get the paper off. Good news is that it is actually coming off. The bad news is that peeling the paper off is incredibly difficult. Its like trying to peel the armor off a tank. I have worked today for hours peeling the paper off. My hands are cut, sore, and bloodied. And I have made very little progress. For my own benefit I think I'll start over and rebuild the paper model right side out. I feel like such a disappointment now....My first update and its to report a large setback. I knew that this method I was trying was a risk and only gave it a 65% chance of working brilliantly. It does work. but at the cost of my own hands. owowowow..... :'( . I know how to do these things I've done it before. I think I'll be back on track within a week or so. I'll keep this one around even though I'm not going to finish it. god forbid the worst happens and I break my helmet. At least I'll have a spare!

Bowfanny

« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2015, 12:07 AM »
Soak it in water, the paper will get soggy and be easier to pull out of that top shell.

QMU#084

REDSTAR

« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2015, 12:16 AM »
There's flex seal on the outside and Plasti-dip on the inside. The water wouldn't be able to soak in.

Bowfanny

« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2015, 12:18 AM »
There's flex seal on the outside and Plasti-dip on the inside. The water wouldn't be able to soak in.
Water can wic Vod I see some paper in your photo

QMU#084

REDSTAR

« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2015, 12:22 AM »
I'll give it a shot.

Edit: I tried to soak it but with no effect. Im going to restart. Thank you for the suggestion though!

« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2015, 11:38 PM by REDSTAR » Logged

Bowfanny

« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2015, 02:43 AM »
That's a bummer Vod.

QMU#084

REDSTAR

« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2015, 12:15 PM »
Its not that bad. I've already started and the paper model is turning out better than before, I now know hot to better put it together. I dont have a deadline of any kind so i can take my time and do this right. I'll still try to make speedy progress though. Ive already have the ear sections finished and im about to get crackin' on the face.

Drakus Cin'Ciri

• Stay Shiny and Keep Flying
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2015, 09:13 AM »
That's a bummer about the setback, looking forward to seeing some updates on V2

MMCC: #1043, Brigade #245 - Pilot, 501st Legion: TI-51416, Rebel Legion: Generic Jedi, Cabur Akaata: 100

mobcake

• "We Mando boys like to show we've been in action"
« Reply #14 on: Mar 30, 2015, 09:26 AM »
It's still an awesome looking helmet, vod! Sorry to hear about the setbacks but I'm sure your other helmet will look fantastic. Can't wait to see it!

Kebii'laar

• Aliit o'r nare, ne tal'din.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2015, 11:34 AM »
That's a real novel approach that I don't think I've seen before.  I hope the soaking works, and even if it doesn't, like you said you have a spare!

I like the Halo influences on the helmet.  It looks like the lovechild of a ComMando bucket and a CQB, and I really like it.

B.E.A.R.D.S. #103, QMU #026

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Gar'gai ven'cuyi o'r ner'nare, draar digur'la.  Ni ven'ba'juri ner'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.
« Reply #16 on: Apr 03, 2015, 01:11 PM »
I notice that someone else said that they'd love a copy of that pep. Well I'll join that club, hell if you start selling casts of that, I'd buy one.

Failure is never an option. You call it version 1 instead and when all else fails blame Jar Jar

REDSTAR

« Reply #17 on: Apr 03, 2015, 02:52 PM »
Hey everyone! sorry for the long wait but I'm finally back on track!

Let's try this right side out this time eh? The papercraft model turned out better this time than last time and I cant wait to cast it...again! I would have had it finished a week ago if I wasn't so busy!

To everyone who wants the pepakura model of this or a cast of it I have some good news! I have been working in collaboration with Fettski to hopefully get a mold of my helmet. I specifically crated a MK B variant for public consumption. Its a little different than mine, a few less details, the ears are separate sections, and the back panel is integrated into the helmet. I still get to have the one and only original but everyone can still have my helmet! win win in my eyes. Only when Fettski and I have agreed on a final design will I post the pepakura model. That should be within a few weeks or so.

« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2015, 02:56 PM by REDSTAR » Logged

Bowfanny

« Reply #18 on: Apr 03, 2015, 03:27 PM »
That sounds completly fair Vod! I look forward to the drop!

QMU#084

Fettski

• The Crab'alor
  • Awards 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 50 official invasions.
« Reply #19 on: Apr 06, 2015, 10:53 PM »
The MK B is a go. Waiting on REDSTAR to do the unfold and clean up the file a little bit to make it more pep friendly and I'll be starting the build.  Its not going to be super quick due to some other projects.  Ill start a thread once I have some work to share and try to keep it updated. Dont expect anything major until late summer unless i get on a roll.  Gotta wrap up some current projects so i can focus on it.   

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #20 on: Apr 06, 2015, 11:01 PM »
Keep us posted, vode!  ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Azrael Stormlighter

• The Dark is my Sanctuary. Tread Carefully.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #21 on: Apr 07, 2015, 04:28 AM »
Ooooh I want in on this!  How would I get ahold of this file?

-Azrael Stormlighter-
Mando Mercs  #1609
Cerar Clan #028
Kyrimorut Clan #020
M.A.- #144
MAJIC- #147

--- Ne mar'eyir yaim'la werde
"I will no longer be a slave. This armor of mine bends to no will but my own. For Honor, Glory, and Adventure!"
---"Fighting from caves?! Are you nuts?!
"I might be. I really just might be."

Argen Tium

• "Ni haar mando Buir"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #22 on: Apr 07, 2015, 07:31 AM »
You got some mad skills. Kandosii (mando'a for "Wicked!")

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum Papa.
PROGRESS:
Armour WIP - local APPROVED.
Argen Tium Beast Tamer WIP

Fettski

• The Crab'alor
« Reply #23 on: Apr 07, 2015, 09:22 AM »
I am not sure if the files will be freely available.  If so, I imagine it will be after REDSTAR finishes his helmet and the version I am making is available. 

REDSTAR

« Reply #24 on: Apr 07, 2015, 11:14 AM »
Spot on ski :). I'll release the file for the mk B helmet either when I'm done with mine or when im finished my armor. I'm still undecided on which and i have a lot of work to do on the file.  Its going to look rather ugly too, lots of red lines....

« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2015, 11:20 AM by REDSTAR » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!