Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Battlefront jet pack (new greeblie pg 6)

• 79 Replies
Re: Battlefront jet pack
« Reply #25 on: Jul 25, 2015, 05:21 PM »
It almost looks like you could use a plastic vent piece off of a dehumidifier or something.

"Only known inhabitant of the Lando System."

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #26 on: Jul 26, 2015, 12:37 PM »
The Vent thing looks a lot like the Gillette pro-glide Disposable Razor Holders ...  :rolleyes:
although I'm not Quite Sure of scale of your pack they may be too small .....
 I've Been saving Tons of them for Vents on other projects ...  ;)

Just sayin .... good luck with your Build , it's looking Great So far ..  ;D

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Vinthiz

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #27 on: Jul 27, 2015, 12:01 AM »
The Vent thing looks a lot like the Gillette pro-glide Disposable Razor Holders ...  :rolleyes:
although I'm not Quite Sure of scale of your pack they may be too small .....
 I've Been saving Tons of them for Vents on other projects ...  ;)

eh, they might be the right size, I'll have to go check :laugh:
It almost looks like you could use a plastic vent piece off of a dehumidifier or something.
That's a possibility, thanks for the idea!
Well here we go, more progress!

got the nozzles done and then...

mounted! Now it's starting to look like a jetpack! just a couple more details and it'll be ready for paint  ;D

"Nice blaster, it's a start. So what do you do with your free hand? Fix your hair, strike a pose, or is your aim so shaky you need two?" -Gen Vizla
« Reply #28 on: Jul 27, 2015, 12:17 AM »
So close! Almost time to build me one! :P

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #29 on: Jul 27, 2015, 12:35 PM »
Seriously. Frakkin'. Cool!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Vinthiz

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #30 on: Jul 28, 2015, 02:15 PM »
Thanks again vod'e! and NeX I still haven't forgotten about the measurements, so I will hopefully be posting those soon.
so I am in the home stretch! got the nozzle covers mounted

now my dad was checking it out and did point out that the fins are a little flimsy, and feel like they might break off if bumped, and I tend to agree with him, so here is a proposed fix

it is just a simple piece in between the fins, and since it will be painted black/dark gray it should be minimally visible. so what do you all think of that? Anybody have another suggestion?

"Nice blaster, it's a start. So what do you do with your free hand? Fix your hair, strike a pose, or is your aim so shaky you need two?" -Gen Vizla

ConDar Ward

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #31 on: Jul 28, 2015, 04:19 PM »
No I think that is a Great plan ... ;D

Con/Troop Friendly ... isn't very Friendly at all ... So Reinforce Everything 3 times is my Moto ...  ;)

« Reply #32 on: Jul 28, 2015, 06:26 PM »
Like you said, once painted you won't be able to see it. Good job planning ahead.

NeX

• Merc# 1189 - M.V.S. #033
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #33 on: Jul 28, 2015, 07:06 PM »
This look so good  ;D

Vinthiz

« Reply #34 on: Jul 30, 2015, 12:33 AM »
Thanks again vod'e! all of your feedback and encouragement has been a real motivator to keep this moving  :)
Alright, here we go, last chance for revisions/additions on anything before primer! Here it is

those supports made the fins 100x better, I am not as concerned as I was before about those breaking. Unfortunately I won't be painting tomorrow, but I should on friday. After paint is when I will add the other details.
 Now in the mean time I could use some suggestions on my attachment method. so the top portion I was thinking of having two straps at the top of the pack with clips like so

and having two d-rings attached to my vest at the corresponding spots. I am at a loss as to how to attach the straps to the pack however (I should note that I am willing to cut into the back of the pack if necessary) Then for the lower portion I was thinking of making something similar to a kidney plate that is attached to the pack and will attach to the vest by either velcro, snaps, or some other method.
Does this sound good or is there a better way?

Vinthiz

« Reply #35 on: Jul 31, 2015, 07:49 PM »
Woop! Got my primer on!  ;D

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #36 on: Jul 31, 2015, 08:28 PM »
That looks really good man. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Nimrodt

« Reply #37 on: Jul 31, 2015, 10:04 PM »
the inspiring of the upper detail on your jet pack was from E6 endor soldier back pack

Unbesonnenheit ist das Charakteristikum der Jugend,Besonnenheit das des Alters,und Vorsicht ist der bessere Teil der Tapferkeit.

Vinthiz

« Reply #38 on: Aug 04, 2015, 01:12 PM »
well, its been a few days and I have made some progress

metal coat

and my dark grey coat, the main color for part of the pack
I will be weathering the osik out of the grey, so while right now it may look glossy and unconvincing, I will make it look good! (I hope  :P )
and I am still looking for advise on my strapping, especially on how to attach the straps to the back of the pack

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #39 on: Aug 04, 2015, 02:16 PM »
No clue on the strapping, but it's looking phenomenal!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

ConDar Ward

« Reply #40 on: Aug 04, 2015, 03:21 PM »
My packs are Attached a bit unconventionally ,  But it Works Well ...  ;D

Page 16 I believe .. ;)

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47732.225

Jorad Werde

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #41 on: Aug 04, 2015, 08:51 PM »
this looks amazing.  I wish I had the time and money for something like this.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Vinthiz

« Reply #42 on: Aug 05, 2015, 02:12 AM »
Thanks everybody!
And thanks again ConDar, I did see that and it was actually the inspiration for the idea I posted a couple days ago, I just reversed it  :laugh: but I'm still unsure how to get the straps on the pack, I'm thinking of cutting two slits per strap and just run it through (if that doesn't make sense just say so and I can draw up a crude image) but I fear with that that it won't be strong enough
Well I was able to get more done today!

got the OD painted. and with that my main painting is done and I will begin weathering tomorrow

Avix Dreylestre

• "Cin Vhetin"
« Reply #43 on: Aug 05, 2015, 06:44 AM »
I was just thumbing through this thread-- Really nice work here! I'm not an attachment method expert (or any kind of expert, for that matter),  :laugh: but I was thinking,
1.) If you had the two straps attached to the pack, hooked on to your back plate, you could have one centered or two parallel downward-facing clips that could hook on to your belt so that all the weight of the thing isn't all on your back plate?
And/Or
2.) If you cut two slots in the back where you want he straps attached, you could probably feed the end through one slot and out the other, but if you do that, I'd suggest leaving room between the two. I don't know how strong your material is, as I am a costuming noob (see signature), But I'd imagine that the closer they are together, the easier it'll be to bend or break in that spot.
The way I'm imagining it, if you have one slot near the top, corresponding to your D ring location, and the other slots halfway down, it'll be holding the pack from the middle, instead of the top, and won't be dangling or move around much. I figure, the more distance between the two anchor points, the more solid it'll be. But I am also not a physics expert.  :P
This is a great WIP, vod!

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #44 on: Aug 05, 2015, 11:21 AM »
Great job, and great way of documenting the build - nice one!

« Reply #45 on: Aug 05, 2015, 12:03 PM »
Maybe screw a d-ring onto your backplate and loop a strap through? That would probably be the least invasive.

Zedrin Ho'dag

• Nothing's impossible; impossible just takes longer
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #46 on: Aug 05, 2015, 01:07 PM »

MMCC-0537 | M.A.J.I.C-047 | M.A-025 | M.A.D-004 | B.E.A.R.D.S.-028 | V.A.B.S.-004 | V.R.C.A.-069 | S.O.S.-013 | O.S.B.A.-000

Vinthiz

« Reply #47 on: Aug 06, 2015, 01:39 AM »
just to be clear, I don't have a back plate, I am doing this in lieu of a back plate so any attachment will be directly to my vest.

2.) If you cut two slots in the back where you want he straps attached, you could probably feed the end through one slot and out the other, but if you do that, I'd suggest leaving room between the two. I don't know how strong your material is, as I am a costuming noob (see signature), But I'd imagine that the closer they are together, the easier it'll be to bend or break in that spot.
The way I'm imagining it, if you have one slot near the top, corresponding to your D ring location, and the other slots halfway down, it'll be holding the pack from the middle, instead of the top, and won't be dangling or move around much. I figure, the more distance between the two anchor points, the more solid it'll be. But I am also not a physics expert.  :P
This is a great WIP, vod!
You are almost on point with what I was thinking, vod, and I am also somewhat worried about the strength of the strip, but I think it should be ok (I hope). I hadn't thought of other straps leading up to the upper D-ring, I will give that some thought, thanks! I was also thinking of making what would essentially be a kidney plate attached to the bottom of the pack. I actually have a photo to kind of show what I am talking about

as you can see in the area I outlined, there appears to be some kind of belt thing that is attached to the pack, and so I was thinking of doing the same thing but instead of a belt just doing a half wraparound/kidney plate type thing that is glued on the pack and that clips to the back half of my vest.
Thanks again for all the positivity everybody! And for that, I will give you all another update!  ;D
Weathering and clearcoat, done!

so the paint is done (I think  :P ) and so I am going to move on to the securing method and just do what I've outlined above and hope for the best. Now I don't know if I will be able to do it this week, as I am going on vacation and have a lot of other projects to do before I go. so if you don't hear from me for a little more than a week, you'll know why  :laugh:

Jorad Werde

« Reply #48 on: Aug 06, 2015, 06:32 AM »
I would add more black char to the inside of the nozzles

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61
« Reply #49 on: Aug 06, 2015, 07:09 AM »
Great job vod! Paint looks great! It's been really cool to watch this build progress.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!