Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

CrazyDec's First armour WIP

• 46 Replies

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: CrazyDec's First armour WIP
« Reply #25 on: Jun 18, 2017, 07:21 PM »
*Summons Kris*

So summoned.

The kinked section where the foamex has ended up pinched will need flattening (likely through the use of removing a small segment and then filling the small remaining gap). Above the kink looks to be floating a little while below looks to be bent a little too far, just bringing the top in a little and the bottom out would be all that's needed reshaping wise. The rest looks near spot on.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #26 on: Jun 19, 2017, 11:25 AM »
So summoned.

The kinked section where the foamex has ended up pinched will need flattening (likely through the use of removing a small segment and then filling the small remaining gap). Above the kink looks to be floating a little while below looks to be bent a little too far, just bringing the top in a little and the bottom out would be all that's needed reshaping wise. The rest looks near spot on.

So I've removed the link from the back piece and rolled it back out. I'm thinking that the Velcro I put behind there should create enough pulling force to pull the vest to it, removing any gaps.

« Reply #27 on: Jun 23, 2017, 05:53 PM »
Oh boy... The more I put on this stuff, the more I realise I'm getting more of a belly on me. I haven't done much to my back armour just yet, I wanted to focus on the cod piece as that has been fairly neglected, same as the knee plates.

For the cod piece it's a front piece and back piece. I have used an old leather belt which I have used chicago screws on the front and also used a contact adhesive for extra connection. On the rear piece I have used contact adhesive on velcro so I can expand or contract this as I lose weight or gain it as it seems. I have also drilled through all of this and added bolts for extra security. I plan on covering these bolts with keyboard keys.

It all looks like its coming together nicely so far.

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #28 on: Jun 24, 2017, 04:40 AM »
Now that's looking good with the pouches up a little. Nice shaping on the cod.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #29 on: Jun 24, 2017, 12:17 PM »
I just had an awful thought. Because it's white at the moment, it looks like a massive nappy (diaper) to all the non euro folk. I'm going to rework the girth belt attachment method, it just plan sucks to put on right now.

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #30 on: Jun 26, 2017, 03:47 PM »
If your girth comes down to cover the top of the cod plate does it not cover over your rear plate too?

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides
« Reply #31 on: Jun 26, 2017, 05:00 PM »
If your girth comes down to cover the top of the cod plate does it not cover over your rear plate too?

It totally does, so it was a major waste of time doing  that back piece really. Those bolts are also catching on the girth belt and digging into it. I need to change a few things in the short and long run really. I made a new attachment method for the girth belt bit its still using some bots to hold it together.
I've also now attached the back panel with velcro onto the vest but when ever I put it on, the vest bunches at the back, really frustrating.

Kris Jasra

« Reply #32 on: Jun 26, 2017, 11:28 PM »
Secret panel of velcro or snaps between things to force them to lie flat? I've attached my vest to my flightsuit at one point to keep it from rolling its way up under my girth.

« Reply #33 on: Jun 27, 2017, 02:19 PM »
Secret panel of velcro or snaps between things to force them to lie flat? I've attached my vest to my flightsuit at one point to keep it from rolling its way up under my girth.

Why did I not think about this... I will give this a go, I've only been testing the fit without the flight suit. But need to wear it more and more.

Markonnen

• Tion'ad hukaat'kama?
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2024. Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #34 on: Jun 27, 2017, 08:48 PM »
You need not wear anything else, it's Mando or Commando...preferably Mando!

Markonnen OM #1486

MMRS #007; Draluram #015;
MARS #051; AWOO #019
« Reply #35 on: Jun 28, 2017, 10:48 AM »
You need not wear anything else, it's Mando or Commando...preferably Mando!

That did make me laugh, I meant not wearing he flight suit but still clothed of course. Mostly in jeans plans t shirt so not a proper fit etc

« Reply #36 on: Jun 29, 2017, 06:04 PM »
Progress! So I have sorted out the back armour, attached velcro to it and the vest. Found out that I put on way too much velcro on and found it nigh impossible to take off!

The addition of all belt for codpiece, girthbelt and ammo pouch belt caused my vest to bunch up so I have sewn some velcro to help keep it hugging the flight suit. I still look fatter than I feel in these photos but please, criticise the armour as much as possible.

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #37 on: Jul 01, 2017, 03:25 PM »
For me the first thing jumping out is this empty space here:

I think your pouches need to be hoisted right up on top of your girth belt. Right now I get the feeling the pouches are being worn really low down on the hips. I think part of the problem is possible how you have done this layer.

It seems to be causing some layer issues in the rear. I think if you were to change the cod to a normal belt, put that on as your base layer and then the girth would completely cover it over as it's required to cover over the top edge. With the girth move down slightly it may reduce the bunching at the side of the vests you mentioned, and then the pouches would go right over the top and everything would seem in line.

Other thing that I am noticing, from a few of the angles, is that the back hasn't got a smooth curve around it.
It almost seems like there is this bend line across.

Don't get me wrong, you have done a fantastic job with all of this so far, but I think this is going to require some further heating across that horizontal line and some gentle persuasion upward to help finish curving it. This will also give the benefit of bringing the top edge slightly closer to your neck giving it a "snugger" feel. The back plate is the worst to shape due to its size, so just keep at it as I think you are really close. Hopefully Kris will have some tips as well for finishing this backplate.

Unfortunately I do not think we have any members who would be less than an hour's drive either from where you are to lend a hand :(

« Reply #38 on: Jul 01, 2017, 04:08 PM »
For me the first thing jumping out is this empty space here:

I think your pouches need to be hoisted right up on top of your girth belt. Right now I get the feeling the pouches are being worn really low down on the hips. I think part of the problem is possible how you have done this layer.

It seems to be causing some layer issues in the rear. I think if you were to change the cod to a normal belt, put that on as your base layer and then the girth would completely cover it over as it's required to cover over the top edge. With the girth move down slightly it may reduce the bunching at the side of the vests you mentioned, and then the pouches would go right over the top and everything would seem in line.

Other thing that I am noticing, from a few of the angles, is that the back hasn't got a smooth curve around it.
It almost seems like there is this bend line across.

Don't get me wrong, you have done a fantastic job with all of this so far, but I think this is going to require some further heating across that horizontal line and some gentle persuasion upward to help finish curving it. This will also give the benefit of bringing the top edge slightly closer to your neck giving it a "snugger" feel. The back plate is the worst to shape due to its size, so just keep at it as I think you are really close. Hopefully Kris will have some tips as well for finishing this backplate.

Unfortunately I do not think we have any members who would be less than an hour's drive either from where you are to lend a hand :(

Thanks for the help bud, I will try and sort out a tac belt out or something for the cod piece so that it can just buckle on and not worry about this rear piece I have. It's not a acceptable CRL to have buckles on show right?

Because the girth belt isn't the sturdiest of things, it does bend and collapse a little bit. I originally had some packing foam inside but this was then too rigid. I worry about having my pouches so high up, it just hides the entirety of the girth belt almost.

As for the back piece, you are right, there is a very prominent bend, again my own doing. I will try and give it more of a curve and help it hug my body a bit more. I managed to sew on some old denim into strips which now should cover the zip as closure method. It goes well with the mowhawk design on  the helmet also.

Going back to the cod piece, how have you attached yours?

Kris Jasra

« Reply #39 on: Jul 01, 2017, 05:01 PM »
Nicks pretty much covered everything there. My cod was made with an extra inch or so of height that covers over a belt. I put that on first, then my kama belt, then my girth goes over the top of them both and hides any of the belts/buckles. If I wanted to add a kidney plate, with my current set up I'd actually attach it to the bottom of the girth belt.

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
« Reply #40 on: Jul 02, 2017, 03:39 AM »
So, for both kits I just use Velcro, but in different ways.

For my custom kit my Cod looks like this.

Because it has a formed, but flat, back I have used velcro on the rear that attaches directly to my flightsuit. The girth then goes over the top edge and gives it a secondary item to hold it in place.

Whereas this would not work on my Canon cod as it is 3D design, so only the folded edges actually touch the suit. To get around this the top Edge of the cod is 2 inches or so longer and has velcro on the outside, this is then stuck directly to the inside of the girth belt, and then I put the girth on. The pressure of the Girth belt keeps it in place and the velcro stops it from being able to fall out.

If you need any more info/images just let me know

« Reply #41 on: Jul 02, 2017, 08:08 AM »
Right I gave the back piece some more curvature, what is annoying is that by itself, the back panel looks like a more gentle curve now. But when I put it on, it still looks like there is that prominent bend. I am trying but I am losing my patience with these piece, all other things have been fairly good so far. To differentiate between the previous photos, these ones have the blue strip that covers the zip.

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
« Reply #42 on: Jul 13, 2017, 01:12 PM »
How's progress coming along Dec?

« Reply #43 on: Jul 13, 2017, 02:22 PM »
How's progress coming along Dec?

I haven't done anything since I have reformed the back piece to have a slight all around curve rather than an immediate curve. I have been busy with my studies so i haven't had time to get anything done. I might try and work on my gauntlets. Basically I want the armour to have a go ahead before I begin prepping for paint etc.

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
« Reply #44 on: Jul 18, 2017, 02:47 PM »
So, I have been discussing with Kris and we do not believe there is going to be a way to tighten up the backplate with just heat shaping alone :( We think the only option may be a few small darts

So starting where it starts to lift you are going to want to cut a small V out of the plastic that goes as far in as the plate is lifted from your back. Go down a couple of cm and repeat the process until you reach the place where the plate is no longer lifting. Each V should be quite small. If you do a few large ones it will give a very sharp bend that still doesn't fit the back, lots of smaller ones create a nice shallow curve that is easy to blend in. Small amount of fibreglass and resin on the back and car body filler on the front and lots of sanding.

« Reply #45 on: Jul 18, 2017, 05:54 PM »
So, I have been discussing with Kris and we do not believe there is going to be a way to tighten up the backplate with just heat shaping alone :( We think the only option may be a few small darts

So starting where it starts to lift you are going to want to cut a small V out of the plastic that goes as far in as the plate is lifted from your back. Go down a couple of cm and repeat the process until you reach the place where the plate is no longer lifting. Each V should be quite small. If you do a few large ones it will give a very sharp bend that still doesn't fit the back, lots of smaller ones create a nice shallow curve that is easy to blend in. Small amount of fibreglass and resin on the back and car body filler on the front and lots of sanding.

So something like this?

At this current time, I don't really think I can invest this much effort into darting the back panel, fibreglass etc. It just isn't worth my time when I have so many other things to catch up with (mainly studies). I could try and gently roll the arm and shoulder areas more maybe?

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
« Reply #46 on: Jul 19, 2017, 09:47 AM »
I could try and gently roll the arm and shoulder areas more maybe?

Try this first and see if it helps close up the gap from plate to your body. Failing which concentrate on your other stuff and put your backplate to one side for now. They are always the worst plate to do (I actually have non-Fett backplate because of it. Non-Fett designs are permitted if you were not aware, we can also help work on this). Come back to it later when more time is available.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!