Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

"you could Kill someone with those things!" **UPDATES**

• 102 Replies

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
*chuckle* Always glad to be of (no) help. :) You seem like you're doing a good job of finding your way to the right path for you, so I'll just look forward to seeing what you end up creating. :)

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

JJ or J'buir

• Murraan Mando Mamma
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
She looks great orikad.  Awsome job you guys!   Wow, i kinda want a kama now.

So, Spanner did a little experiment last night with some fiber glass.  We wanted to start small so we started with a shoulder plate.  My shoulder plates will dish and cup my shoulder a little more than the usual template.  it also come to a point at the bottom. 

I had a little brain epiphany in home depot the other day.  I was worried about what i was going to do for knees, so I looked at the knee pads.  All rather unacceptable except the cheapest ones in the bin.  A pair was about 4 bucks and they lookd like something some one would wear for one job and then throw away.  I asked spanner if we could cut them up some how, glass them and use them for knees or something.  I held it up to my shoulder and realized that they cupped my shoulder perfectly.  He said no at first because we arnt going for foot ball player mando.

But, he had a brain fart.  The outside of it would be too big, but the inside is the perfect size.  He covered the inside with aluminum tape and smoothed out all wrinkles and places the tape separated from itself.  He used it as a mold to cast a fiberglass plate.  Worked like a charm.  It gives me high hopes for the breast plates and everything else.  Its looking like the majority of my plates are going to be fiber glass. Yay and Squee! (that was my girly moment)

Angillin aka JJ

Mamma kiss my boo boo.  How about I keldabe kiss your boo boo? Suck it up!

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
yay fiberglass... i havent glassed since i was in the Navy, but i found its like riding a bike.

Now to find the camera so we can do a tutorial for Mandettes with larger than average..... cannons. :D

"what in the samhell is a Puma?"

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Awesome breakthrough!  Can't wait to see how the progress goes!

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Ok, so we made the Paper Tape mold of her torso and it came out Great!

I will take pictures when I can and post them up.

As soon as the weather clears up a bit I will start to glass them.  These things are going to be deadly!

Ver'ta Mdej

• Artillery is a lullaby
Can you do a step-by-step log of how you are making her chest plates? I'd love to add it to the Femmando Armor sticky.  ;D

Tracyaat cuyi buycika laar.

Hey, it's okay to be late to the party .. if you are the only one who leaves.

If I were a D&D character, I'd be Lawful Good. Yeah, I'm not much fun.

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
Thats gonna be a little difficult because We have already made the body Cast out of the Packing Tape. 

Once I start laying the fiberglass i will take pictures and post them up.

Ver'ta Mdej

• Artillery is a lullaby
Oh, that's what I meant :)

I bet she doesn't want photos of the process for the body form anyway :) 

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
Got some Updates!

take a trip with me as we make boobies!

The body form..

Applying Fiberglass Resin and fabric..

Dried... before Trimming.

Bondo'd!

RoboEmma

• aka Roboemma
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: "you could Kill someone with those things!" **UPDATES**
« Reply #34 on: Sep 27, 2009, 07:27 PM »
That's looking just awesome; and, you've discovered a new way to make fem-chest plates!

~

Scifiwarri0r

• Mtn Dew Mando
« Reply #35 on: Sep 27, 2009, 07:52 PM »
Way to go spanner it looks good.

Ver'ta Mdej

• Artillery is a lullaby
« Reply #36 on: Sep 27, 2009, 08:46 PM »
Iinked from the sticky  ;D

Mir'ika Tarvos

• Exit light, enter night.
« Reply #37 on: Sep 27, 2009, 10:09 PM »
Those look like they're coming out pretty nice!  Can't wait to see the finals

I used darts in mine too, though I think that'll be all I need to do.

"Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."--Karen Traviss, Bloodlines

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream; I'm nothing in-between."

Squirrel

• "TVCP Magnificent 7"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #38 on: Sep 29, 2009, 02:30 PM »
Nice work so far!

"And what have we learned?"]
Sorry I'm not around much anymore, life is very busy for me at the moment. . .
M.A.J.I.C. #103
A new WIP will be posted eventually. . .

Ori Cabur

• Old Guard
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions Award for 75 official invasions. 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #39 on: Sep 30, 2009, 07:30 PM »
my goodness. the title for this thread is very much appropriate ! very nice progress. keep up the good work ner vod.

Riya Morut

• Ree-yuh, not rye-uh. MAJIC 019
« Reply #40 on: Oct 02, 2009, 03:22 PM »
Wow, this looks great!  Keep us posted!

Normal people never do anything of note, nothing magnificent or world-changing or on the knife-edge of risk. ~IC: 501st

Only a Mando would create a musical instrument that doubled as a weapon. ~IC: 501ST

Fanfic found here:http://mercs.

Saberan Vhette

• No Retreat! No Surrender!
« Reply #41 on: Oct 15, 2009, 08:46 PM »
Spanner, My wife is well endowed and she said the best way to get a close to accurate size would be to get a bra in her size, stuff it, and make a duct tape mold of that. or use bondo or fiberglass to make the plate mold. Much luck, Vod!

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
« Reply #42 on: Oct 16, 2009, 02:40 PM »
We have found duct tape to be far inferior to the Paper Packing tape. 

The plates are finished.  I will be updating pictures probably tonite.  Stay tuned!

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #43 on: Oct 21, 2009, 03:58 PM »
Spanner, I was looking at the Halloween USA invasion pics and something jumped out at me about your girlfriends armor.  Not sure what you guys are planning to do with the bottom of the corset that goes over her loin cloth, but if you put a couple pieces of armor on the bottom of that corset then I think that would come out looking SWEET! 

Think of it like how a Fauld works on ancient armor.  The fauld is made up of those 3 bands that are going over the abdomen in the below pic.

You could put one piece on each side, and with it being on the corset it could flex with her so she could move and sit down.

Anyhow, it's an idea that popped in.

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*
« Reply #44 on: Oct 21, 2009, 04:27 PM »
Spanner, I think the manda'lor is describing something akin to a tasset(though my spelling may be off)... And I agree, something like that may very well be just what you need.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #45 on: Oct 21, 2009, 05:20 PM »
I think he means half-faulds.  Tassets are single plates that hang from a fauld and cover the gap between fauld and cuisse while in the saddle (and then, only in High Gothic armor).  A half-fauld would do the same work as a fauld, but cover less area...

It WOULD work though, especially since she looks like a D&D Dwarf (in a good way).

And I pity the guy in Novall's example picture.  Plate without a gambeson hurts like hell.

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
« Reply #46 on: Oct 21, 2009, 05:20 PM »
hmmm. I can bring it up to her.  Shes really liking the Idea for the Wrap though.  Ultimately it is her decision. 

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #47 on: Oct 21, 2009, 08:10 PM »
It would be below the wrap.  I'm talking about the area on the corset that is exposed below her belt.  It's really more close to tassets, but not as far down, kinda like a demi-tasset.

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
« Reply #48 on: Oct 23, 2009, 09:12 PM »
Well she liked the Idea, as long as we modify it to make it a bit more organic feel to it, and what she described is more of a sectioned inverted triangular peice that hangs from the belt.

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
« Reply #49 on: Oct 25, 2009, 03:39 AM »
Ok, so the Armor is done, application submitted, now we are just waiting on the approval team *AHEM!*.

Here some pics from Fan Days

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!