Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Dome question

• 11 Replies
Dome question
« on: Jul 06, 2019, 02:24 PM »
So I’m making a helmet by cutting up old totes and hot gluing them together does anyone have an idea for the dome thats cheap. Thx

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
Re: Dome question
« Reply #1 on: Jul 06, 2019, 04:58 PM »
I just used a skate helmet ($20 on Amazon) for a pilot dome reinforcement.  It should work just as well for a whole dome.  People have also used hard hats for their helmet scratch builds.

On that note, you might want to use something better than hot glue.  I recommend JB weld.  Tack it together with hot glue in a couple key points and then use JB weld to hold it better, much like a professional welder uses a tack weld to hold the piece in its correct position and then runs a proper bead on the seam.

Kall

• Run and you'll just die tired.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2019, 10:27 AM »
Skate helmets and hard hats work great.  If done right, skate helmets are great because you can have airflow. Zedrin Ho'dag's helmet is once such example.

I second using jb weld or contact cement. You will save yourself from headaches later on

Dumb question
« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2019, 05:10 PM »
How do you post pictures?

Re: Dumb question
« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2019, 09:04 PM »

« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2019, 09:21 PM »
can I still jb weld if I have this

« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2019, 09:02 PM by Havelock » Logged

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 2019, 09:04 PM »
As part of my moderation duties I must request that you please avoid Double Posting in the forums.  This is against forum rules as documented HERE.

Double Posts - Please refrain from posting immediately after yourself, also known as 'double posting'.
If no one has replied use the "modify" button to update your post.
WIP threads and other similar threads that have new content being added are exempt from this rule, provided the posts have useful new posts being added.
In such exemptions, replies to multiple questions when attempting to catch up should still be combined into single posts.
Moderators will exercise their best judgement, if you feel an error was made please contact the Moderator Lead and Tech Officer via PM.

The posts have been combined.

Additionally, as I'm sure you've noticed, your pictures aren't displaying.  For a step-by-step guide to including pictures in your posts using a third party site like imgur, check out this thread.  For how to host images here on the MMCC’s site, if you’re an Auxilliary Member or Supporter, check out this awesome guide!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
Another Dome Question
« Reply #7 on: Jul 09, 2019, 07:19 PM »
I’m using a skate helmet for my dome so should I take all the foam out because it’s kinda tight rn. Thx

Reh Oj

• Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Another Dome Question
« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2019, 08:57 PM »
I suggest to remove them.  I kept the foam in my own helmet and I find them to be a bit high when I compared them with other bucket.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Another Dome Question
« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2019, 12:27 AM »
Removing the foam is the normal thing we do.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #10 on: Jul 10, 2019, 12:12 PM »
I've combined all your threads into one to make it easier for you to keep track of all the answers.  You don't need to start a new thread every time you have another question; just post here and you'll get some answers pretty rapidly.   :)

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #11 on: Jul 10, 2019, 12:43 PM »
Thanks

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!