Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mandalorian Protector's GET IN HERE!

• 391 Replies

Cdr. Ch'ren Jud'se

• Last official Verd'ika with no relatives in!
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Mandalorian Protector's GET IN HERE!
« Reply #100 on: Aug 28, 2010, 04:02 PM »
o'tay, i will see waht i can come up with  ;)

Teren Clan

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #101 on: Aug 28, 2010, 07:50 PM »
As far as orange goes, I believe (and could be mistaken) that it is mentioned somewhere that Jodo Kast's kit was a protector kit that he "borrowed". And his is very orange.

It's the same "yellow" that is used on the shoulder and knee plates for a Boba Fett kit. It definatly has an orange hue to it. I found a very similar if not the same color at my local Home Depot. They sell it for ground markings at construction sites. It's what Ive repainted my gaunts, shoulders and knee's with.

Edit:

Although, now that you mention it, I do seem to recall that Jodo's CRL's call for a shade of orange... Ill have to double check that.

edit 2:

Ok, so Jodo's CRl does call for pumkin orange. How odd. If I remember corectly the artwork Ive seen is all yellow. Wierd.

« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2010, 08:25 PM by A'den Skirata » Logged

Cdr. Ch'ren Jud'se

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #102 on: Aug 29, 2010, 12:26 AM »
so that means i could do orange?

Teren Clan

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
« Reply #103 on: Aug 29, 2010, 12:31 AM »
The colours used for Boba's knees and shoulders were -- in layers, and in different thicknesses -- Floquil/Polly Scale "Reefer Yellow", "ATSF Catwhisker Yellow", and "UP Armor Yellow". The Reefer Yellow starts getting pretty orange when it gets painted on thickly. The "Pumpkin Orange" is a commonly-employed rattlecan shortcut for a fairly yellow orange if one doesn't have, or can't, airbrush.

--Jonah

« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2010, 12:37 AM by Peregrinus » Logged
MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #104 on: Aug 29, 2010, 11:01 AM »
Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. I knew Boba's was a layered and thickness look and Jodo's was nearly the same color. Although, I must admit that Jodo's live builds look much more orange than Boba's do. You can look at Boba's and as much orange tinge as there is, you can still in all fairness call if yellow. With Jodo, it looks like yellow tinged ornage instead or orange tinged yellow. However, again, any artwork distinctly shows yellow regardless of what the CRL states. So, who really knows where the error lies.

Ch'ren Ive got a color for you to check out. I picked some up at my Local Home depot. It's about 5.00 per can. However, I was able to do trim, shoulders, knee's and gaunts with 1 can, 2 coats on each piece, and have some left. The color is remarkably like Boba Fett's orange tinged yellow. It's probably as far as youre going to be able to push the orange envelope. The paint is Rust-Oleum High Performance inverted marking paint. The color is Caution Yellow. This stuff is meant to be sprayed upside down to matrk the ground at construction sites etc. It's quite durable. The upside down sparying makes applying it kinda funny but it works.

Now, my personal opinion is this... if you used green as your primary color, red yellow or blue as your secondary color and your orange as a auxillary color, I would personally still look at your kit and see protector. However, this is something that's probably going to be fiercely debated as this moves forward. Is that protector or protector influenced? Sure, it's not JUST like Fenn, Tobi and Boba but, it fits the guidelines of unnamed , mentioned or/and assumed  from the EU. regardless of if its labled a protector or protector influenced, real fans are going to know what you are. I just dont think you could use orange as your secondary color and call it a protector. It needs to be auxillary or replace it with the caution yellow instead of say a sun yellow

Jare Hasan

• Clan Murraan PR Officer
« Reply #105 on: Aug 29, 2010, 01:25 PM »
With Jodo, it looks like yellow tinged ornage instead or orange tinged yellow. However, again, any artwork distinctly shows yellow regardless of what the CRL states. So, who really knows where the error lies.

Action figure artwork and trading card only.  Of course, on the trading card, Jodo's armor was blue and yellow.
All his comic book appearances have been the pumpkin orange, and the CRL was written before Hasbro messed with the canon colors for the action figure.

There's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

Hondo Karr

« Reply #106 on: Aug 29, 2010, 01:46 PM »
True but, even in the comic art I wouldnt neccessarily say it was pumkin orange. I dunno, maybe Im color bindish lol.

Gratulor

• "Frihet fra Imperiet skal være vår mål! Oya!"
« Reply #107 on: Aug 29, 2010, 02:30 PM »
True but, even in the comic art I wouldnt neccessarily say it was pumkin orange. I dunno, maybe Im color bindish lol.

My eyes tell me it's pretty much pumkin orange, but a slightly darker shade than your garden variety pumpkin. Definitely has more red in it than yellow.

As for me, I think Protector armour can be customizable in shades and gear. We see a few different shades of green between the Marvel comics to sourcebook artwork, and the red also varies greatly between sources. The shoulders of Tobbi and Fenn are both green and they both have a very lime-green shade on the armour and jumpsuit. One thing that I think defines the Protectors more than anything is the cream coloured cheeks, found on both the Marvel comic depiction of Boba Fett and all depictions of Fenn and Tobbi. At least they differentiate the Protectors from Boba Fett and True Mandalorian grunts.

Atma Brevar - Mandalorian Protector progress: 30% complete. (On hold since May, hopefully continued later this year)

Hondo Karr

« Reply #108 on: Aug 29, 2010, 04:39 PM »
Alrighty, here is the Rust-Oleum Caution Yellow vs. Pumpkin Orange...

caution yellow

pumpkin orange...

While correct for Jodo (althoug Id honestly be more inclined to do the build with the caution yellow and suffer the potential consequences) I think the Pumkkin Orange is just WAY to orange to even be moderatly considered yellow for a protector. Although as an auxillery color, say for Ch'ren, it has promise, at least to me.

The caution yellow has a nice blend of red into it to give it a slight orange hue but to still be considered yellow. It's also a very close 1 apply rattlecan match to Boba's shoulders and knee's. Almost a perfect yellow for a protector. Although is someone were inclined to a brighter yellow as a matte rof preferance or taste that's fine too.

Mullreel

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Most invasions trooped in 2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #109 on: Aug 29, 2010, 04:44 PM »
I bought a Bauhaus Gold by Krylon the other day that has a nice orangy yellow look to it.  It doesn't look gold thats for sure.

It was a much softer yellow I thought.  More of an earthy tone.

All I ever wanted to do was to travel to far off exotic places and meet new and exciting people.........and then kill them.  So I became a mercenary, and I love what I do.

Peregrinus

« Reply #110 on: Aug 29, 2010, 06:07 PM »
I have Tatooine Manhunt and Twin Engines of Destruction here and, to these eyes, it looks no more orange than the shoulders and knees. *shrug*

Additionally, I've seen quite a few Boba builds with pretty orange shoulders and knees that didn't get gigged for it. With the 501st, it really comes down to one's local Membership Officer. Some are sticklers for movie-accuracy even though base standards are more lax than that. Some will approve kits that don't come close to meeting standards. And the whole spectrum in between. So just because that's how it's been seen in the 501st is no proof of accuracy, or a guideline we have to follow.

Just sayin'. ;)

That Reefer Yellow gets pretty orange as more is applied. Same colours used on Boba's knees as shoulders, but since it wasn't applied as thickly on his shoulders, they look far yellower. If it were to be applied to the visor frame as thickly as to the knees, that would be a lot more orange than the shoulders, too.

Again, just sayin'. ;D

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Dar'manda

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions.
« Reply #111 on: Sep 01, 2010, 05:00 PM »
Hey A'den, does my armor work for this?

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Cdr. Ch'ren Jud'se

« Reply #112 on: Sep 01, 2010, 05:18 PM »
Hey A'den, does my armor work for this?
it's not green Capin  ;)

Teren Clan

Hondo Karr

« Reply #113 on: Sep 01, 2010, 06:19 PM »
Yeah, Ch'rens correct. You'd need to do a repaint.

Dar'manda

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions.
« Reply #114 on: Sep 01, 2010, 07:51 PM »
So the armor must be green? I have green on my armor, I just wanted to ask.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Hondo Karr

« Reply #115 on: Sep 01, 2010, 09:19 PM »
well, I think this will be refined over time. I guess since I started the thread Im kinda like teh defacto "lead" here but, my armor is honestly more Protector inspired than a true Mandalorian Protector. My armor's just too heavy and the Legacy style plates kinda throw it off. id really like to see someone else take teh reigns here... maybe Jonah since I dont think anyone has a more complete mental library on these guys than he lol. But, he needs to get his shab'la armor done!

What we've pretty well established is standard Boba (maybe Jango) style armor. Customization to the gaunts is fine but, they need to be weapons platform gaunts, not bracers wraps etc. The armor has to be an earthy green... sage, olive, drab, hunter, forest etc. Nothing bright and flashy. Secondary colors on the armor and helmet should be red, yellow or blue. We havent really established what the auxillary colors should be. To be truest to type I guess we're going to have to be black or green (like Boba) although personally, I'd go for anything. I'm not sure how tight things are going to get on flightsuits but if they get tight, gray of varying shades and green would be the fit. Personally, I think anything is fine. Vest should be of a color similar but not exact to the flightsuit. For example a different shade or gray with a gray flightsuit or a different shade of green with a green flightsuit. Again, to me, anything goes.

I have a feeling at the end of the day we're only going to have a few "true Mandalorian Protector's" and by the nature of the custom costuming club, we're going to have a lot of Mandalorian Protector inspired followers. So, we'll see where and how thing goes in due time.

hope that helps some!

Synnr Falco

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #116 on: Sep 01, 2010, 09:57 PM »

So by your measure A'den does my armor measure up as Protector?  It sounds like it by reading your post but I'd like to hear you sound off on it. Thanks!

Hondo Karr

« Reply #117 on: Sep 01, 2010, 10:01 PM »
I'd consider your's a protector hands down. However, there are other opinions within this thread of what a true Mandalorian Protector is and what Mandalorian Protector inspired kit is.

When I see your kit I see MP without any issue. However, other's may see an issue with your flightsuit beign tan etc.

As I said, it's something that's going to have to be hammered out over time and with the Council's input. When I see an earthy green Mando with a tric olored helmet and knee's shoulder and gauntlets accents in yellow red or blue. redgardless of auxillary colors, soft good colors or white cheeks, my mind says it's  Mandalorian Protector. However, that may not be the truest representation if you take into account only Boba Fett, Jodo Kast, the 80's Marvel comics and the figures. So, it kind of depends which direction we, as a club,  go with it.

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #118 on: Sep 01, 2010, 10:14 PM »
Can I be a Mandalorian Protector too, A'den? Please! please! Can I?!

"what in the samhell is a Puma?"

Peregrinus

« Reply #119 on: Sep 02, 2010, 12:52 AM »
id really like to see someone else take teh reigns here... maybe Jonah since I dont think anyone has a more complete mental library on these guys than he lol.

*blush* Yeah, probably. The mixed blessing of an eidetic memory.

But, he needs to get his shab'la armor done!

Yes. Yes he does. *sigh* He is all too aware of the problem, and has had recent frustrating setbacks in his helmet and gauntlet test builds, which he will be enumerating in his WIP threads once he's made some headway on correcting for them.

He will also stop speaking about himself in the third person now because it's giving him a headache... >_>

I'm not sure how tight things are going to get on flightsuits but if they get tight, gray of varying shades and green would be the fit. Personally, I think anything is fine. Vest should be of a color similar but not exact to the flightsuit. For example a different shade or gray with a gray flightsuit or a different shade of green with a green flightsuit. Again, to me, anything goes.

I agree. My preference is for ESB/ROTJ-accurate, but the errors in the EU have to be acknowledged, even if they're not consistent enough to fulfill the 501st's "three sources" guideline (*whew* ;) ). If not ESB blue-grey, I'd put MSW's kelly/sage/OD green as my secondary preference, but really, as long as the armour looks good, and the soft parts look good and consistent with it, I'd say almost anything goes.

When I see your kit I see MP without any issue. However, other's may see an issue with your flightsuit beign tan etc.

I don't. I think it looks great.

--Jonah

« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2010, 12:54 AM by Peregrinus » Logged
MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Darman_Skirata

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #120 on: Sep 02, 2010, 05:57 AM »
would the kit be ok if the flightsuit and vest were black?

Peregrinus

« Reply #121 on: Sep 03, 2010, 02:42 AM »
We'd have to see the finished ensemble to see how the whole thing looks.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Synnr Falco

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #122 on: Sep 03, 2010, 08:33 AM »

Thanks guys , glad that I make Protector grade since that was my goal from the beginning. I sort of took my inspiration from the cover of that marvel comic with Boba, Fenn and Tobi. 

Peregrinus

« Reply #123 on: Sep 07, 2010, 03:28 AM »
I re-skimmed my copy of Open Seasons to jog my memory, and noticed that at the time of Montross' betrayal, Jango's wearing green armour with yellow-orange knees and shoulders over a grey flight suit.

I'm also noticing freshly that the art team, while quite good, seems to have a problem drawing the earcaps accurately. It's not a matter of helmet variants, as they even drew Jango's helmet that way in its AOTC configuration. *shrug*

Another thing -- I noticed that Jango refers to the Death Watch splitting off from Jaster's movement.

Food for thought. Gonna do a more thorough re-read in a little bit.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Hondo Karr

« Reply #124 on: Sep 08, 2010, 04:17 PM »
Anyone making any progress on their builds or repaints?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!