Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Dee Ca'tra -- Mando Mechanic

• 67 Replies

corriban

• Mercs War Correspondent
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Dee Ca'tra -- Mando Mechanic
« on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:53 PM »
So, I realize that I only just made official yesterday, but since I submitted my app this past week the only thing I've been thinking about is my next build. I fell in love with the concept of a mechanic in the hopes of going brigade, so I started accumulating resources and lists of all the things I'd need.

Here's a rough concept of what I'm looking to do:

The helmet I'm eventually going to get is The Stalker by NME because it's so damn beautiful and I've been drooling over it ever since I saw it. I'm up in the air on color scheme. I really want a black kit and feel it would fit in with a mechanic build. I also want to incorporate purple and gold as well. The segmented collar plate is based around Sabine from the Rebels series. I haven't decided yet if I want to do a full back plate or a 3/4 one with a jetpack or something. For simplicity I may just do a simple backplate. Already dreading that part...

I started working on her tools. For the two I have, I want to add a couple more little things to them, then I'll fill some holes and start painting.

Fusion cutter on the left, Hydrospanner on the right.

I also got a pouch from Lowes that will need some love too.

I'm planning on giving her a gauntlet calculator with a cord and "disk" that can pull off of it that she can plug in to use for "hacking" and stuff. I'll probably make a couple more random tools too, gonna look around the Star Wars wiki for some good ones.

As far as a weapon is concerned, I want to do a carbine of some sort. Something she can sling behind her easily. I've found some good potentials in the Nerf section of Toys R' Us.

Feedback is always appreciated!

« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2015, 07:03 PM by corriban » Logged
Zasiya Adenn V2 | Dee Ca'tra
MERC #1078 | KOVA #0011 | M5 #42 | QMU #019 | ALLUMINATI #027 | PMS #003

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
Re: Dee Ca'tra -- Mando Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2015, 04:00 PM »
Nice concept! Mechanic kits have lots of potential for awesomeness ;) That fusion-cutter is brilliant 8)

Carry on ;D

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

corriban

• Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2015, 09:34 AM »
So I'm really struggling with color scheme. There isn't one that I'm completely in love with. I really don't want another "black and gray" mando, even though I really love those colors. I want to embrace the "mechanic" aspect of this character. Red, gold, silver, black...

I'm also torn on a helmet. I love the Stalker, it's beyond beautiful, but again, that to me says heavy infantry, not mechanic. So I think I will more or less go for a simple helmet, possibly a Jango style, and add a visor cover to it.

Anyway, here are two color schemes I've been kicking around. Still not 100% about either.

Leaning more toward the purple, but would love to hear some input.

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2015, 12:18 PM »
purple looks good, the black and yellow is a little to flat for me.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

corriban

« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2015, 12:57 PM »
Yeah, I really think I'm gonna do the purple and silver. The silver will be high gloss, not like gray or anything.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2015, 02:21 PM »
Yup, of the the two, I'd go with the Purple one :D

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2015, 07:19 AM »
Purple and silver definitely :). Can't wait to see how this turns out :)

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

corriban

« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2015, 11:47 AM »
I bought a couple things from IOA yesterday, my knees and the calc pad for my soon-to-be left gauntlet.

And I've decided on not doing the Stalker for this build. I'm instead going to buy a simple Boba-style one from Headshot Props.

The Grunt

I like the little details on it, and I'll be doing the earcaps on this build too.

CasiusOntius

• Intrepid
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2015, 11:12 PM »
One of my buddies just got the grunt from HSP. Pretty solid looking helmet.

corriban

« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2015, 12:43 PM »
One of my buddies just got the grunt from HSP. Pretty solid looking helmet.

Good to know :D thanks!

corriban

« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2015, 08:27 AM »
Text and a picture update:

I bought my helmet from Headshot Props, the Grunt, which I'm super excited to get and work on. Also have an awesome Boba Fett carbine on the way that I snagged off ebay for less than $40. I've always wanted one and since this kit won't use any pistols, I wanted something still intimidating but easily carried and slung over her back if need be.

For those curious/unfamiliar, this is the one I bought:

« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2015, 08:32 AM by corriban » Logged

corriban

« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2015, 04:11 PM »
Another text update:

- I got my cod in the mail from the lovely Nix!
- Helmet has been shipped from Headshot Props so I should be getting that shortly (hopefully this week before I leave for vacation)
- Purchased my chest plates from Mandalorian Arsenal so those will be arriving in a couple weeks

Need to buy my vest and figure out what I wanna do about my back plate or if I want one. It's a bit of a daunting task and I've heard a lot of horror stories about how difficult they are to make. We'll see!

corriban

« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2015, 11:04 AM »
Updates!

Last week I got my helmet in the mail and yesterday I trimmed up the bottom of it.

Today I'm gonna see if there's any daylight left to finish up the visor and vents.

While I was trimming I got a surprise knock on the door from the postman bringing me the bulk of my armor!

From The Mandalorian Arsenal. The pieces are really well constructed. They'll need some trimming too :)

Here's a closeup of my cod from the wonderful Nix:

Lots of work ahead of me! Still gotta decide on a back plate or cape and need to get my gauntlets as well.

Wolfin Sylvermane

• We are only Immortal for a limited time.
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2015, 11:47 AM »
If your still debating colors think about going highvisibility yellow, green, or orange  With a grey or blue primary.  It might glow in the dark but that's what the mechanics wear now a days.

corriban

« Reply #14 on: Apr 04, 2015, 12:59 PM »
I've made a lot of progress lately! Got all my plates trimmed including my helmet. I started laying down the paint a couple days ago. I'm up to the black layer and first layer of weathering. This time around it'll be more subtle. She's mostly gonna be dirty, like oil stains and scrapes here and there. Doesn't look like much now, but when I get the purple down it'll look a lot better!

Here are the paints that are next up:

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #15 on: Apr 04, 2015, 04:23 PM »
Hey, that's MY blue! 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

corriban

« Reply #16 on: Apr 07, 2015, 11:33 AM »
Little bit more progress.

I've chromed the shoulder bells since this photo and have started taping off the plates for the design. I went in a different direction for the design and decided not to do a border around the plates. It's too plain! Hoping to have more progress tonight.

I've also started to work on my carbine. I bondoed the screws and have to sand them down now. Then it'll be ready for paint! My vest has also been ordered. Attachment method I think I'm gonna go with screws or snaps. Screws seem a little bit easier in theory, but snaps may be more secure. I've started cutting out sintra for my gauntlets. I'll post progress pics later today.

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #17 on: Apr 07, 2015, 09:52 PM »
Love the purple! Keep it up!

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: Apr 07, 2015, 11:58 PM »
So pretty!  The purple you chose is super nice

Instagram: @evaarla_kal

corriban

« Reply #19 on: Apr 08, 2015, 07:20 AM »
Got the chrome design on last night and I think it looks really good! Not sure if I'm gonna continue the pattern down to my knee plates or not, but for the most part the purple is ready for black/brown wash. The shoulder bells I'm gonna do some sort of purple design. Maybe not matching what's on the chest plates, perhaps a sigil of some sort.

Gonna work on sanding the bondo on my gun today and get cracking on doing what I need to do for my tools and pouch.

Myra Tiin

• Outer Space Vandal
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago
« Reply #20 on: Apr 08, 2015, 08:25 AM »
This is brilliant! And not only because it's chrome :p

I love it.

Desert ops Brigades - WIP  - Pixel Mandos
 QMU #017 - KOVA #002 - EMTS #118

corriban

« Reply #21 on: Apr 12, 2015, 11:15 AM »
I got more work done!

Helmet is primed and ready for weathering.

Gun is primed, black, and ready for the gun metal coat and wood grain on the stock. Here's a fun before and after:

Before

After

I also made headway on my tools. They need their final touches before I feel comfortable posting up pictures. I do have a question for anyone with any insight: my tool pouch has a logo on it that's been embroidered into the fabric and it's almost impossible to get it off. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cover it? maybe just attach a new piece of fabric over the whole section and sew it into place? Any help is appreciated!

« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2015, 11:18 AM by corriban » Logged

corriban

« Reply #22 on: Apr 14, 2015, 11:11 AM »
Double update (sorta)

Finished my carbine last night and my tools this morning. Still trying to figure out what to do about my pouch. I was going to work on my helmet today after work but it's raining today so I may switch over to working on my gauntlets. I'm attempting to make them myself out of sintra using my other kits gaunts as a guide. We'll see how they turn out!

Onto the pictures!

Thoughts? Critiques?

« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2015, 01:42 PM by corriban » Logged

Thea Ri

• Master at procrastination.
« Reply #23 on: Apr 14, 2015, 02:05 PM »
Looks awesome so far! :D

"You can run, but you'll only die tired."

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #24 on: Apr 14, 2015, 04:57 PM »
How did you do the woodgrain?! :o

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!