Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Pyro's Early Crusader

• 24 Replies

Pyro

• I am the salsa verde!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Pyro's Early Crusader
« on: Mar 19, 2020, 09:18 PM »
I just announced that I was doing this project on the MMCC FB build page, but I want to have a WIP here as well. This July marks my 11 anniversary as an OM! I wanted to do something epic. So I've decided on doing an Early Crusader based on this pic.

I have access to leather working tools and a couple leather sewing machines, thanks to my grandfather as he does leather work.

I'm at a loss on how I'm going to make the helmet tho

I 'm still going to go for melee style weapons for this kit. I was thinking a spear and a beskad would look sick with this kit! What are people using for the under suits for this era?

Jedi Hunter WIP I Daimyo Boba WIP I Early Crusader WIP

I'm a Texan and Mandalorian, firearms are part of my religion

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Pyro's Early Crusader
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2020, 10:10 PM »
I'll have to dig deep to find pics, or the bucket itself, but I started an early era helmet with just a hardhat and some sintra, fiberglassed them together and then slathered bondo on and carved it into a shape I liked. I was deliberately a little sloppy and the pits and such should be good catch points for weathering when I ever get around to painting it up like bone.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Pyro

• I am the salsa verde!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2020, 11:22 PM »
I'll have to dig deep to find pics, or the bucket itself, but I started an early era helmet with just a hardhat and some sintra, fiberglassed them together and then slathered bondo on and carved it into a shape I liked. I was deliberately a little sloppy and the pits and such should be good catch points for weathering when I ever get around to painting it up like bone.
That's an idea I was thinking about doing but I'm worried I wont get it the way I want it to look. I was also thinking a under suit made of suede would look amazing but I'm worried about 2 things. # 1 How hot it will be in the New Mexico heat and # 2 the cost lol
Heres the suede I'm currently looking at using
https://www.joann.com/sew-classics-microsuede/xprd757799.html#prefn1=refinementColor&prefv1=Browns&srule=best-sellers&start=1

Pyro

• I am the salsa verde!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2020, 10:24 PM »
Here are the leather gloves I will be using if I dont do the suede jumpsuit.

I'm also debating on using these boots that I already have

or getting these taller boots ( the metal ring will be easily removed)

Ill be doing leather strips for the leg wraps

Pyro

• I am the salsa verde!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2020, 11:20 PM »
Ok, So I finally have the Helmet sorted out and its going to be an amazing piece of work. So are the shoulders!
Ive been working with Joel aka PapaJoelDesigns on etsy who posted some of his work on the MMCC build FB page. This is shaping up to a wicked kit!

I've decided against the suede as it will be to hot, so ill be purchasing a regular jumpsuit.

« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2020, 05:11 PM by Pyro » Logged

Pyro

• I am the salsa verde!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2020, 07:24 PM »
Small update

I have the hoses and the gas masks ordered and I think Ill be using this fake fur for the kama and back

:edit I just ordered the under suit as well

« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2020, 10:58 PM by Pyro » Logged

Pyro

• I am the salsa verde!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2020, 11:04 PM »
Another update! Helmet and shoulder files have been purchased and will be printed soon!

I'm going to try and figure out how I want to do the rest of the armor and make the templates this weekend. I think this is going to be an amazing kit to wear!

If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to post them!

Ive also decided that I will be trying to get duel brigade with this kit! Beast Hunter and Heavy Melee.

I think I'll have the spear, 2 axes and beskad, a boot knife and to cover the blaster pistol requirement. I'll be using this blaster

« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2020, 11:16 PM by Pyro » Logged

Pyro

• I am the salsa verde!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 05:11 PM »
Small update on this kit!
I received the jumpsuit, helmet, shoulders and the hoses!

I'm thinking I might need to get a 3rd hose but am not sure how I want to air tank for the back.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 05:49 PM »
I get sick and stay off the forum a couple weeks, and come back to a bunch of progress :D.

Good call on the dickies over the suede; it'd probably be hot as hell, The faux fur looks like it'll be nice for a kama, and those gloves look like they'll match quite nicely. For the boots, if you're willing to attach the wraps directly, the taller boots would be perfect. You can glue the wraps right onto them and not have to worry about velcro or zippers or straps or whatever to fasten them in place.

For the bucket and shoulder, idk if you're familiar with XTC-3D, but it's a wonder for getting rid of print lines. It tends to fill in small details, but for something like your pieces it would be perfect, and save you a lot of sand and refill and sand again time. You do have to do more than one coat, usually, but it generally takes way fewer than bondo or other fillers, and as a resin, it ends up pretty rigid in the end. I would just advise mounting your visor first, so that the resin doesn't crack or warp if it cures out of position to where the helmet will be with the visor installed.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Pyro

• I am the salsa verde!
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 06:50 PM »
I just ordered the dye and leather for my belt and chest/back. Well I should have enough for the back, but if not I’ll just order another piece.  I still need leather for the shins. As for the boots I’m using the shorter brown ones as I already have them.
Edit:
Just found and ordered my only blaster for this kit.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 07:35 PM by Pyro » Logged

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 2020, 10:14 AM »
Loving this Pyro!
Been really enjoying watching this take shape and can't wait to see it completed. Keep up the great work. :8):

Pyro

• I am the salsa verde!
« Reply #11 on: Jun 02, 2020, 02:56 PM »
Loving this Pyro!
Been really enjoying watching this take shape and can't wait to see it completed. Keep up the great work. :8):
Thank you Seugtai!

Your kit has been my inspiration for sure it’s so amazingly done.

Pyro

• I am the salsa verde!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 05, 2020, 11:20 PM »
What symbols are allowed for the early crusaders?

Pyro

• I am the salsa verde!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2020, 09:15 PM »
Got bored at work and decided to make a template for my early crusader chest/back

What do you guys think?

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2020, 08:16 PM »
I would suggest modifying that chest plate design as it rides real close to Legacy armor, that bottom shape is a very common shape with Legacy armor, and given the rule for EC kits about nothing approaching modern I would suggest doing something to change that shape.

Jhosee

• OM #1511 S.P.A.R.C.K. #29 26/06/16
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2020, 08:24 PM »
me gusta mucho el casco y los hombros, el archivo es de paga? jaja
como sugerencia, al pecho deberias agregarle un efecto de hueso y cuero para que combine con el resto y asi no se vea tan legacy. en la era early crusader el overall debe ser completamente sellado y no es 2 partes, excelente avance. espero ver mas de este kit  :like:

Pyro

• I am the salsa verde!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2020, 09:51 PM »
Yes my plan was to add bones to the leather chest and back.

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 75 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2020, 08:55 AM »
Stumbled across this build this morning and commenting to follow.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Kit#1 Karl Dha'Werda WIP - Nov 2015
Kit#2 'Late' Crusader WIP - Dec 2016
Kit#3 PI Survivor WIP - ETA May/June 2024
Oyu'baat - OM Troops: 96
mandalorianarmour.org

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2020, 01:28 AM »
Commenting to follow as well. Did you get your EC symbols figured out?

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Pyro

• I am the salsa verde!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2020, 01:45 AM »
No not really but this kinda got sidelined because I decided to do the New Boba kit lol but I’m still trying to figure out how I fully want this kit to look.

Karl Dha'Werda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 75 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2020, 08:47 AM »
No not really but this kinda got sidelined because I decided to do the New Boba kit lol but I’m still trying to figure out how I fully want this kit to look.

I saw that this morning.  Good luck to you and your non-weathered Boba kit. ;)

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
mandalorianarmour.org

Pyro

• I am the salsa verde!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2021, 09:46 PM »
This build is not dead. I will trying to work on templates for the rest of the armor this weekend hopefully!  :boba:

Pyro

• I am the salsa verde!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 14, 2022, 07:48 PM »
ok so here is what I had designed the chest to look like, the black line designs will be carved out to give it depth

The ab armor will be made to look like bone and match the helmet and shoulders

I also made this to hang either off the belt or off the shoulder

Pyro

• I am the salsa verde!
« Reply #23 on: Apr 09, 2023, 08:09 PM »
This is back from the dead! I got a 3D printer last November and Will hopefully be learning how to make my own files so I can finally finish this kit !

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #24 on: Apr 09, 2023, 09:41 PM »
Sweet, looking forward to your updates.

mandalorianarmour.org

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!