Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Armor Build, WIP

• 17 Replies

Daxar Arkada

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Special Weapons Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions.
First Armor Build, WIP
« on: Jan 10, 2016, 11:19 PM »
Greetings Vods!

Its about time I started a thread for this, since I already have quite a bit of progress.  Thanks to Drake, who happens to be the same body type as myself, I have a great set of armor to show.

The following are work in progress photos.  I apologize for the massive amount at the start.

Here are some of the paintjob!

I'll try to post photos later of the armor taped to myself.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: First Armor Build, WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2016, 03:03 PM »
I like the design on the chest - simple but effective. Keep up the good work!

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Daxar Arkada

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Special Weapons Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2016, 05:38 PM »
Thanks!

Here is a mock up of the plates taped to me.  I know its not perfect placement. Also, not the best photo I have ever taken. I feel like the collar is too low.  But do the plates look like the fit me?

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2016, 05:50 PM »
I would actually say they look a tad bit wide on you.  And yes, the collar looks like it needs to come up a little.  Great looking kit so far though.  8)  I like the physical damage.  Be sure and scratch it up a bit, and slap some blackwash on it.  It'll definitely add to the realism.

« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2016, 08:27 AM by Raestin » Logged

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Award for 50 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2016, 01:27 AM »
I would actually say they look a tad bit wide on you.  And yes, the collar looks like it needs to come up a little.  Great looking kit so far though.  8)  I like the physical damage.  Be sure and scratch it up a bit, and slap some blackwash on it.  I'll definitely add to the realism.
Raestin's got it.  Take 1/4 in off the outside, and you should be gold.

Daxar Arkada

« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2016, 03:02 PM »
So I was doing some measurements, and I am concerned that if I do trim 1/4 off, that once I add the flight suit and the vest the plates will be too small.  Thoughts?

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2016, 11:24 PM »
If you look at the amount of coverage on Jango:

it's actually a pretty small area that's covered by the armor.  If you trim a 1/4 around, that should be just about perfect.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Award for 50 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2016, 01:43 AM »
So I was doing some measurements, and I am concerned that if I do trim 1/4 off, that once I add the flight suit and the vest the plates will be too small.  Thoughts?
Start with 1/8 in if you have the jitters about them being cut down too small.  I mean, they won't be too small, but you do you. :P

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: Apr 17, 2016, 08:33 PM »
Good looking kit so far! Your damage and color choices look really good! Commenting to keep up with your progress!

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Taakur Beroya

• Aruetyc runi'la solus cet o'r prudii an.
« Reply #9 on: Apr 17, 2016, 10:26 PM »
I am loving that paint job vod. It looks really great. Im interested to see how this WIP progresses.

"Rectitude carried to excess hardens into stiffness; benevolence indulged beyond measure sinks into weakness."

"The Empire's bureaucrats are like wineskins – they should both have ropes around their necks."

Daxar Arkada

« Reply #10 on: Jun 25, 2016, 07:12 PM »
I think its time I updated this thread!

The chest plates were trimmed, I'll post those later, but for now, weathering!

back plate

cod piece

knees

boot covers

belt clip

Once I weather the chest plates, gauntlets, shoulders and shins I'll post them too.

Daxar Arkada

« Reply #11 on: Jul 08, 2016, 09:29 PM »
And I'm back!

Its been a busy few weeks, spent some time with the BVC at Megacon and got some great tips on how to finish things up and get started on the app process!

Here is the finished armor, now weathered. It was challenge as my armor has some dark tonal blues and grays. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

All the pieces together, sans gauntlets.

Backplate

Chest

Lightning kinda blew out the details on this shoulder, but.....

Here is the other shoulder

Segmented cod

Knees

Shins

Boot plates

Drake

• OM #0047 ¦ BVC ¦ Merc Veteran '07
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault 15+ invasions in 2018 Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #12 on: Jul 08, 2016, 10:19 PM »
That's the best set of armor I've ever seen.  :o  :laugh:

In all seriousness, you've done an amazing job adding the layers of grime. It really adds to it. Make sure you get that bucket dirty.  ;D

[PAGES 1-7 DETAIL ZABRAK MANDO, 7-∞ DETAIL STEEL LEGACY] : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=38505.90
Drake Manufacturing: https://www.facebook.com/DrakeMfg/

Mojo Khuriso

• "Ni copikla gar runi"-I desire your soul
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #13 on: Jul 09, 2016, 11:04 PM »
I love the weathering on this!!! Especially the cuts and grooves in the armor!! Looks AWESOME!!

I can smell your fear...this hunt will be all too easy...

Vailin Flynn

• Urge to kill...rising
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #14 on: Jul 10, 2016, 05:54 AM »
Grime....Good ;D

WiP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=88828.0

OM #1476
Cabur Akaata #16
M.A. #153 (24er)
House Buurenaar Verda -  Batuu Clan
OM Troops: 7
« Reply #16 on: Nov 08, 2016, 09:09 PM »
Love the cross draw look vod!

Ne shab'rud'ni - "Don't mess with me"

Cavious kit WIP

Cabur Akaata #86
Oribru Akaata #18

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #17 on: Nov 11, 2016, 03:04 AM »
Love the cross draw look vod!

Except when you snag on things when trying to turn round... #experience. :P

Nothing's really jumping out at me either. Nice kit.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!