Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My helmet WIP

• 32 Replies

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
Re: My helmet WIP
« Reply #25 on: Sep 17, 2016, 03:30 PM »
So let's break this down right quick

You have rounded the ends of the crossbar of the T and while it does give it a bit more of an earthy look nothing about that breaks CRLs or pushes the silhouette to a weird place. So I think you are fine there.

The reinforced brow doesn't look like much of anything and honestly if it wasn't for the rivets in the side pictures I wouldn't be able to tell that it is there. Personally I would like to see that brow plate be thicker; if you look at the Mando pilots from Rebels, the brow plate is pretty beefy. Now with that being said, I don't think you have to go as thick. But I think making it stand out a bit more would help to reinforce the look you are going for.

I am a little worried that you may have opened your T up a bit too much, but honestly I think that is due to the fact that the face of the helmet is wont to flare open without a visor to hold it in place. So without seeing it with a visor install I cannot say 100%.

The last thing is those two things on the back of the bucket; right now they just look like you glued them on they don't look integrated into the bucket as a whole. I am guessing you are going to attach your hoses to them. Which I think is a neat change up from the more common front-attached hoses. But generally speaking when you attach things you want to make it look nice and integrated with the large item, so it doesn't look like it is going to break off or like it was just quickly glued on.

Now with all that being said I think you are doing solid work, and if you post some larger pictures from this point forward it will be a whole lot easier to give you feedback on your work, which I think outside of a few minor things is really solid so far.

Keep up the good work vod and you will get there in no time!

Kal Revik

• "You can run, but you will only die tired."
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Award for 50 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2018 15+ invasions in 2017 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #26 on: Sep 17, 2016, 03:43 PM »
I too agree with Naran. The back of the helmet could have those two pieces intergrated into the helmet to give the hose connectors the pilot look but also so they don't come off easily when you hit them against something. I think that the new paint job looks great! The one with weathering before had a bit too much for a pilot imo, but also had that splotched area effect, kind of like you made the weathering instead of it giving the illusion it happen under natural circumstances. All in all loving the paint job and you're on the right track! And try to make sure the pictures are larger here on the forums instead of making the thumbnail take us to a different site, it makes everything so much easier. Looking forward to the rest of the build and can't wait to see what you come up with vod!

OM #1135 Vhe'rang clan, NM/W. TX, SC
BM #149 Brigade: Spec Ops Recon
ALUMINATI #043/MIB #020/M.A.R.S #58/M.A.
#165/L.O.B. #50/O.O.P.S.! #39/Mandalorian Cavalry #7

Drake

• OM #0047 ¦ BVC ¦ Merc Veteran '07
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault 15+ invasions in 2018 Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #27 on: Sep 17, 2016, 03:47 PM »
Nicely done thus far. I would like to parrot the others and suggest uploading larger pictures of your phone/camera is capable.

The rounded edges on the T tie into the Protectors of Concord Dawn, and is a nice touch.

The hose connectors on the back could benefit from a little more integration, or at the very least a greeblie on the tops of the cylinders. As a pilot I know that those connectors are actually tricky to source and integrate, and I'm actually replacing mine once my new hoses come in.

It's looking good so far, and it's always nice to see more pilots.  ;D

[PAGES 1-7 DETAIL ZABRAK MANDO, 7-∞ DETAIL STEEL LEGACY] : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=38505.90
Drake Manufacturing: https://www.facebook.com/DrakeMfg/

Jaryn_Xur

• "Death From Above"
« Reply #28 on: Sep 17, 2016, 06:57 PM »
1st.  Thanks to all that chimes in and gave advice/input. It is greatly appreciated.

2nd. I edited both replies that had the thumbnail photos, and replaced them with larger ones. Hope this helps see things better.

3. The hose connectors on the back are actually screwed on through the inside of the helmet. If you look at the 3rd photo in the 2nd reply(with the pilot visor attached), you'll see something that almost looks like eyes in the back of the inside of the helmet. Those are screws. Hopefully it would take quite a bit of force to break them off. I agree they could use some type of greeblie, just have to see what I can find, if anything.  I think they could at least stand to have one of the other colors(silver or dark gray) added to them(maybe a stripe around the center), so they don't look so frakkin bright. lol

Drake: Thanks for the comment on the rounded edges on the T.  The episode with the Mandos of Concord Dawn is one of my favorites from Rebels. The edges  of the T ended up like that cause I got a little carried away with the sanding bit on my dremel when smoothing out the rough edges after I cut the T visor area out.

I plan on test fitting my T visor in the helmet this evening, and will post pics(no thumbnails this time).

Naran: Not sure how I could make the blast shield(brow) any beefier. What I used is an actual real world visor housing from an SPH-3 helicopter helmet. I tried to find one that was fairly close in shape to Fenn Rau's, while still being a tad different. Any suggestions? 

Also, I see what you mean about the opening of the T. My helmet has developed a bit of a warp on that one side. Attaching the pilot visor fixed it a little. When going through the process of installing my t- visor, I'm thinking of making some sort of brace on the inside across the bottom of the T, to bring it back into alignment as best I can.

I will also take and post some photos of the helmet from some different angles so that you can see everything.

« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2016, 07:11 PM by Jaryn_Xur » Logged
My WIP thread: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=234598.0

"Live To Fly, Fly To Live, Aces High!!"

“For the strength of the Clan is the warrior, and the strength of the warrior is the Clan."

Bloodfin Garrison - Nighthawk Flight - TI/IC-4673
Mos Espa Base - Massiff Squadron - Jek Porkins(Red Six)
Mos Espa Base - Temple Arkanis - Jaryn Xur(Jedi Knight)

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #30 on: Sep 17, 2016, 08:39 PM »
So looking at the brow again, honestly I think the issue is that the edge/the part where it raises up gets kinda lost to the eye because it is just a metal shift. I think a little be of weathering ala a nice black wash will define the depth there and make it stand out so the edge/raise doesn't just get lost in the metal on metal.

As for the visor spacing I have a bracing bar at the bottom of all my visor it does a world of good to help the bucket hold itself shape and general just keep things a good deal more stable in the face of handling. The last thing you want is to reach for your bucket and have your visor pop free a little extra support never goes amiss.

For the two attachment points on the back of the bucket, maybe adding some sort of brace that goes over the top of those connection points. But honestly maybe with just a few tiny greebs on the points themselves and with the hoses running it will be fine, very well could be a case of things looking strange due to where they are in the build.

And thank you for no more thumbnails :D and keep up the good work vod!

Drake

• OM #0047 ¦ BVC ¦ Merc Veteran '07
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault 15+ invasions in 2018 Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #31 on: Sep 17, 2016, 09:29 PM »
I personally like the use of a real-world flight visor, and I don't think it needs to be changed. Like Naran said, once you add a wash or something it should make it stand out more. As it sits I don't have any issues with it, because once it's seen in person it becomes obvious that it has a blast shield. Mine blends into my dome in pictures, anyone is made from a cheap hardhat crest.  :laugh:

[PAGES 1-7 DETAIL ZABRAK MANDO, 7-∞ DETAIL STEEL LEGACY] : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=38505.90
Drake Manufacturing: https://www.facebook.com/DrakeMfg/

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #32 on: Sep 17, 2016, 10:09 PM »
Much nicer to be able to see the photos. I agree with these Gentle-Vode's Opinions so far. The flight visor adds that nice touch for a pilot visor.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!