Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Cat Builds A Mando (Again)

• 35 Replies
Re: Cat Builds A Mando (Again)
« Reply #25 on: Apr 09, 2020, 12:18 PM »
With your helmet, what colours are you painting it?

Catika

• "No permanent harm done."
« Reply #26 on: Apr 09, 2020, 01:05 PM »
With your helmet, what colours are you painting it?

I'm thinking it will be mostly red, with the Krylon 'aqua' on the eyes (I don't know what to call the area around the visor), and then on the angled piece below the 'eyes' I'd leave that silver (but dirty) for contrast, and red again on the cheeks. I'm actually not sure what I want to do yet with the ears/antenna. Maybe dirty silver on those too!

RC-3141

• Probably putting off post-processing my 3D prints
« Reply #27 on: Apr 10, 2020, 12:45 PM »
I repainted most of my armor pieces. I am going for a very worn down look because my Mando, Jatne, is kind of a mess. I'm dubbing this 'redneck Mando.'  ;D You can see I did a layer of burnt sienna on the collar piece (and the knee pieces). I also have charcoal to add carbon scoring and I'll top it all off with a matte finish.

What do you guys think about the weathering so far?

The paint seems to be very intact in the center for all of the chipping on the edges of the plates, I'm assuming that's coming in later stages of paint? Also, are you planning on keeping the chipped away portions masked on future coats of paint?

What sort of weathering are you planning on having on your rifle?

Is this weathering from combat or from other sources?

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread
Soft Goods WIP Thread

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way as to take the prize." 1 Corinthians 9:24

Catika

« Reply #28 on: Apr 12, 2020, 04:12 PM »
These are all good questions... I have put zero thought into the rifle so far, just trying to get through the armor stages first. This Mando has seen combat for sure but I was thinking the plates are more worn out from time/neglect. There are some scuffs on the chest and ab plates which I'm not sure showed in the pic.

Here's helmet progress:

We did a layer of brown acrylic grime and I put it all together on my old vest just to see.

I'm doing a stupid pose on purpose because I wasn't planning on using that old vest and therefore didn't care about the spacing... but... now I think I might use it.  :laugh: I was so not planning on reusing all these old kit parts! But with things the way they are I think it would be prudent.

I still need to repaint my gauntlets and back plate, add more blue accent stripes to the plates, weather the flightsuit, attach knees... and then make my cowl/cape. After that I'll worry about weaponry!

Jaryn_Xur

• "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: Apr 12, 2020, 06:31 PM »
Looking good so far Cat! I love where this is going!  :)

My WIP thread: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=234598.0

"Live To Fly, Fly To Live, Aces High!!"

“For the strength of the Clan is the warrior, and the strength of the warrior is the Clan."

Bloodfin Garrison - Nighthawk Flight - TI/IC-4673
Mos Espa Base - Massiff Squadron - Jek Porkins(Red Six)
Mos Espa Base - Temple Arkanis - Jaryn Xur(Jedi Knight)

Catika

« Reply #30 on: Apr 19, 2020, 02:31 PM »
Thank you Jaryn!!  :porg2:

Listless in quarantine update...  ??? Working on my cowl+cape.

PLEASE EXCUSE MY WRINKLY VEST I threw it in a pile of laundry and left it for a couple of days. #quarantinelife

Note: I do have a back plate but it is not painted yet so I haven't put it on!

Just trying to figure out how I want to attach the cape. I think it's a little too bulky/heavy right now, I can feel it tugging at my vest. I'll probably cut some fabric out of the width to cut down on the bulk. I just have it pinned in place right now. (In fact I'm just sitting here in my vest+places+cape at my computer lol)

I do have heavy duty snaps from an old cape on my vest, I'm just wondering if I can get the folding/draping effect if I use snaps.

I'm at that point in quarantine where I want to work on my kit but I don't want it to be HARD.  :rolleyes: Sighhhhh.

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #31 on: Apr 19, 2020, 05:45 PM »
I can confirm without question that what you have IS IN FACT....a wrinkly vest  ;)
Definitely make sure you get some glue or fastener on that earcap!
There's always the option to trim to remove bulk and possibly have it mounted to your collar in a Boba Fett-style!
I'll be interested to see what you come up with...CHALLENGE YOURSELF, sometimes the hard way is the best way  :P

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Catika

« Reply #32 on: Apr 19, 2020, 07:03 PM »
I can confirm without question that what you have IS IN FACT....a wrinkly vest  ;)
Definitely make sure you get some glue or fastener on that earcap!
There's always the option to trim to remove bulk and possibly have it mounted to your collar in a Boba Fett-style!
I'll be interested to see what you come up with...CHALLENGE YOURSELF, sometimes the hard way is the best way  :P

Thank you for pointing out the ear caps, I noticed when I was painting that they're Bad and I'll get some hot glue on there. My J2P is in Rough Shape. It's going to need to be replaced soon. I also can't stand how narrow the eye slit is. UGH anyway.

I will challenge myself Sempai!! I talked with my seamstress friend about how to attach the cape, I think I am going to put some seams at the top in order to hold the folding/draping in place, and I will actually probably end up stitching it permanently to the vest (one less thing to have to take on/off, and I am really good at awkwardly shimmying in and out of my vest).

I finished the first layers of paint on my gauntlets and back plate and added a couple of stripes to the kit. Those will need the brown/black wash to match the rest of the weathering. I didn't take a single pic. DON'T @ ME  :P

So now I will just need to figure out greeblies for my gauntlets, weather my flightsuit and cowl+cape... attach knees (or use my old flight suit alskdjf), attach my shin plates, finish the vibro daggers I got from my clan bro Fenn, make sheaths... Gosh I'm close! It's kind of a long to do list but I'm very close!

I'm also moving to our new house in less than 4 weeks so Priorities??

Aran Skirata

• Ori'haat
« Reply #33 on: Apr 19, 2020, 10:25 PM »
That scarf/cape is awesome, and that maroon/silver color scheme is rad! Keep it up, vod!

This is the way.

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #34 on: Apr 21, 2020, 08:51 PM »
I'm also moving to our new house in less than 4 weeks so Priorities??

Yeah, exactly! Priorities! Git er done!!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #35 on: Apr 24, 2020, 08:10 PM »
As someone who retired for years and only got back in the saddle last year, I'll also throw in a welcome back :D. I will admit that halfway through page two I started skimming and just looking at your picture updates, so I probably missed some stuff, but you're doing a great job so far :D. Despite your plans not to use it and your claim of shoddy construction, that vest actually looks really good, and works well with the color combo.

The scarf looks cool, but bear in mind that it's going to absolutely murder the airflow coming up under your bucket, so prepare to be extra toasty :P. Or throw some fans in there or something, if you can fit them. I know my j2p was juuuussssttt barely big enough for my noggin without room for accouterments, so you're probably right on needing to upgrade it sometime in the near future. For mounting the cape/scarf, even if you do remove some fabric from it there should be enough to hide stitching, so you could throw some velcro on there and make attachment points on the vest between the back and collar plates, and maybe a little bit on the collar plate as well to keep it secure.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!