Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Soft knees

• 24 Replies

Dragon Sunkiller

• Always remember.... that way you never forget!
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
Soft knees
« on: Mar 26, 2011, 09:45 PM »
Just a quick question. I noticed in the CRL's that knees can be hard or soft, and  I was just curious what exactly a soft knee covering could be. I'm in the process of updating my kit, and one of the things I need to do is add knees to it, but I'm not sure what route I want to go. Any help is appreciated. Thanks vode!

M.A.J.I.C. #057
OM# 371

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
Re: Soft knees
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2011, 10:23 PM »
Have a peak at montross on open seasons. Needs to be something along those lines, not just a pair of Valleyball knee's pulled on over the flightsuit.

Dragon Sunkiller

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2011, 10:38 PM »
I can't find any really good pics of him, but what I saw was they just looked like a fluffy knee pad. Are there any official members with soft knees? Thanks for the quick reply vod!

M.A.J.I.C. #057
OM# 371

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2011, 10:42 PM »
no one has them yet. They were kinda added with the thoughts of pilots in mind. Basically with Montross they look like something where the padding is ribbed and sewn into the flightsuit. Personally, i think anyone is going to have a hard time pulling something like that off and making it look good. Also, to me, they are nonsenical. Armro on a Mando isnt just protective, it's also offensive even if as a blunt trauma weapon. Think about getting knee'd in the gut or face. What's going to be more effective, a pillo wor a hammer? Also, having worn both hard and soft knee armor in tactical situations in real life tactical situations I can say that while sift knee's are better than bare knee's and not too bad on smooth surfaces for short times, they fall seriously short of hard knee protection.

Dragon Sunkiller

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2011, 10:59 AM »
Ok, thanks for the steer in the right direction  vod! Speaking of Montross though, my fiancee, Keisha, and I were talking about how cool it would be to do a Montross build. Would he be considered a Canon character that could be used to get into the Canon Brigades, and potentially, the 501st? The reason I ask is that I've been wanting to do a second kit, and this summer my fiancee and I have finally moved out of our respective parents' houses and are moving in together, so we'll have plenty of space and no one to tell us to stop working on "stupid little kid costumes." I noticed that Montross appears to not have shoulder armor, and some pics show him with a jetpack, and some don't, that I could see. Thoughts on the idea? Oh, and before it gets brought up, I do power lifting and Olympic weight lifting, so the short sleeves should not be a problem.   :D Thanks!

M.A.J.I.C. #057
OM# 371

Hondo Karr

« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2011, 11:43 AM »
As far as 501st, I have no idea. Montross would meet the canon brigade and would be held to the pic references closely in expected appearance.... that means the OS earcaps and keyslots, etc. But yes, if you have the arms to pull it off it's fine. But, they need to look like carved hams. Big blubbery arms and carved sticks won't cut it lol.

TheMandoMan

• MMCC #0001
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2011, 11:47 AM »
Not sure about 501st acceptability.  They require 3 different sources for costumes, but it seems every source for Montross differs from the next.  There's the comic version, which I think they also made a figure of, so that's two sources, but his video game appearance is vastly different from his comic counterpart, so that one wouldn't count.  I don't think there are any other sources for him though.   :-\

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg

Hondo Karr

« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2011, 11:51 AM »
Of course, they took Jaster Mereel and aseveral other Sith characters and even Jodo Kast.. some of them STILL don't meet the 3 sources requirement, so have over time but not before folks were accepted wearing them. It's really a matter of dealing with your GML and the new LMO (who is Stormtrooperguy) about acceptability. Main thing is build it first and present what you have. They usually won't say ahead of time whether they'll approve a character or not. Now, I know of a member or two int the great lakes region that had talked with the GMl up there about Montross and it seemed if it was done right it could be approved.

Sentinel

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2011, 12:44 PM »
Rich,

Like he said, gotta have some carved hams.

Post some pics of the guns for em hehe.
GJ

Dragon Sunkiller

« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2011, 09:01 PM »
Thanks for all of the feedback vode! I'll look at all the references I can find and see if it's something I want to tackle over the summer.

M.A.J.I.C. #057
OM# 371

Dragon Sunkiller

« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2011, 09:01 PM »
Well, I decided that I'm going to try tackling a Montross over the summer! I bought some blue Dickies coveralls today, and am already planning on sanding my current armor plates back down to bare metal.

M.A.J.I.C. #057
OM# 371

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2011, 10:50 PM »
These are about the best shots of Montross's knees that exist, so far as I've seen.

Obviously the parts outlined in yellow :P.

One of our Unofficial lads is working on a Montross as well; when he makes some progress on it I'll make sure he posts it up here on mercs...might give you some ideas if you haven't started by then.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Dragon Sunkiller

« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2011, 12:19 AM »
Sounds great! Feel free to post any WIPs that you know of here, and I'll post a link to my WIP whenever I start it for this build. LOL!

M.A.J.I.C. #057
OM# 371
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 12:12 PM »
Looking into doing a Montross myself (chances are I'm the unregistered guy that Slade Kel (Marrok) mentioned). I was looking into this issue when I ran across this thread at therpf.com, here, on Mad Max soft knee. I think this could be moded to suit our needs.

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 12:46 PM »
One of our Unofficial lads is working on a Montross as well

comic version or video game version?

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 04:27 PM »

Personally I'm going for more of the comic book version. Truthfully it will have to be a bit of a hybrid between the action figure and the comic, each was solid together. Reasons for this I will explain in my build thread at a later date.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 09:10 PM »
I believe his original influence was the video game version, but the plan is to work in aspects of the action figure and comic book so that it's as accurate to Montross as possible, but also fits the CRLs.

Dar'manda

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 11:12 PM »
Well, Montross would have his own CRLs technically. Since he's a canon character anyhow.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 11:26 PM »
From a Mercs application approval standpoint, I believe Montross is falling under the same 'rule' as mandos like Rav Bralor or Mij Gilamar. Basically, it's scrutinized by the App Team and compared to existing artwork; in Rav's and Mij's case, the action figures and in Montross's case the Open Seasons comics, the action figure and/or the game images. I don't think there's any intention to write up an actual CRL for him, although one may be written at a later date.

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 01:38 AM »

Tobias Creed

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 03:21 AM »
Well the thing is that you have to have big arms. I don't know if you are ripped Rich, but the reason why I had short sleeves at first is because of Montross. But I got a lot of people telling me that i would look better with sleeves and I  decided to do what they suggested.

Dragon Sunkiller

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 08:57 AM »
Not to toot my own horn, but yes, I am. I added an arm-specific day to my weight training schedule a couple months ago for the sole purpose of doing Montross.  8) I have a flight suit already, and as soon as I can get a vest and second set of plates, I will be hammering away at this again. Now that I'm done with school for the summer, I have more time. Especially since I work 3rd shift as a Security Officer.

M.A.J.I.C. #057
OM# 371

Dar'manda

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 11:46 AM »
Montross should be considered way higher level canon than those others though, since he's been in comics, lfl art, a video game and a figure. those others are just figures as far as I know, and Hodges draws Rav a lot, but that's it

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 07:09 PM »
The problem with going by those points is that the comic version, video game version and action figure are all distinctly different. The action figure has hard knee and boot armor, while the comic book has soft knees and no boot armor and the video game version has no shoulders, knees or boot armor and a completely different color scheme. It might be that once someone completes a Montross kit based on the comic or action figure that a CRL will be written, but that'll be up to the App Team.

Let that be incentive to get it done, DS ;). Yours could end up being the basis of the CRLs, like TK-2280's was for Kal Skirata.

Hondo Karr

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 07:43 PM »
Montross should be considered way higher level canon than those others though, since he's been in comics, lfl art, a video game and a figure. those others are just figures as far as I know, and Hodges draws Rav a lot, but that's it

The problem is consistency between sources as Slade mentioned. While he has many appearances, he is different in everyone. We would accept any for the club except the video game version as he's missing key componants required under CRL's and has been dar'mandad by that time anyway.

As Slade said, we would compare the app to the references for the type choosen. It's unlikely a CRL would be authored.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!